Only One? (With a Twist)

This is a discussion on Only One? (With a Twist) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 45ACP4ever's thread about only having one defensive firearm gave me the idea to post this thread. If you could only have one firearm for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only One? (With a Twist)

Talking Only One? (With a Twist)

45ACP4ever's thread about only having one defensive firearm gave me the idea to post this thread.

If you could only have one firearm for a SHTF time in life, what would it be? To better define what I mean by SHTF is if somehow we reached a point where we'd be catipulted back in the times were the only way to survive would be to hunt for our own food, defend ourselves, know that the odds of picking up parts for your guns is very unlikely. A survival situation, I guess would be a better way to phrase it.

And while we are at it, lets include rifles and shotguns since we all know how important a rifle would be in a survival situation.

Me, I'd go for a .357 revolver (Ruger GP100 maybe) and some sort of .22 long rifle (It'd be great for small game hunting)

Well?... Now back to my saturday night activity
    Beretta 92FS

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I'd go for a .357 revolver (Ruger GP100 maybe) and some sort of .22 long rifle
    That's two!!!

I guess to be sensible a rifle cal should be chosen, much as i would hate to be minus any handguns at all.

Like as not I would choose the AK, tho for better power and range my FAL is a great choice too. I'll stick with AK tho - plenty of that ammo around for most part, and the gun is on the whole pretty rugged.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

IF only one firearm... a 12 gaugeshotgun

It can be used for everything. Although, I have a Savage .22/.410 combo, if I could find a .30-06/12 gauge combo that should cover all needs
    Last edited by Dakotaranger; July 16th, 2006 at 01:29 AM.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Personally,

I'm looking to something in a .223 or 5.56mm caliber, and in a rifle type package. Something along the lines of the AR-15, or maybe a Savage manufacture rifle.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Administrator

Post Hummmmmmmm.....???? :~1

I would take my Galil SAR because it is so overbuilt.
    It has the reliability of an AK & the accuracy of a good battle rifle & parts breakage is almost unheard of in the semi~auto configuration since it was designed to be a fully automatic squad weapon. It is almost indestructible.

Disadvantage: It's slightly on the heavy side with its receiver machined out of a solid block of steel but, that also means it has almost zilch recoil. The ammo is not too heavy and the 50 round mags are a huge plus for SHTF scenarios.

Then I can't decide on if I would grab aColt Combat Commander or an ultra~high quality scoped .22 semi-auto handgun w/ about 10 extra magazines. Both have real advantages for SHTF.

The .22 for its extreme accuracy & lightweight BULK ammo weight.
    You can carry a ton of .22 LR and with 10 fully loaded mags it has very useful rapid fire purpose and can get small game.

The C Commander for its perfect balance and reliability and decent stopping power for close quarters work.

What to do...what to do!

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Id stick my .45 XD in my belt, and my RRA Tactical Entry carbine on my back, 6 mags for each loaded, and some loose rounds in the backpack. Might substitute Stainless S&W 686 .357 for the .45 though...depends on the mood, or even MkII ruger .22 because of bulk ammo weight.
    Fear No Evil.

Just about any flavor of 12ga pump for me. Shotguns are probably the most versitale guns out there. They can shoot slugs, buck shot, birdshot, specialty ammo, etc. all just by switching out the cartridges. You can hunt about anything with a shotgun, and its a wicked self defense gun. The only drawback is that its not really concealable.

I imagine in a crazy SHTF moment, you wouldnt care if your rifle/shotgun could be concealable. :)
    Beretta 92FS

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Mossy 500....with lots of different kinds of ammo.

I'd have to go with the Mossberg 500 with a broad ammo assortment.

VIP Member
    This post reminded me of another site I read some time ago. It gave you a challenge:

The Challenge:

You have the opportunity to go back in time, arriving on the east coast of North America circa 1650, and your goal is to cross the North American continent, taking as much time as you need. When/if you reach the Pacific coastline, you’ll be transported back to the present day.

Your equipment for this journey will be as follows (taken back in the time capsule with you):

-- enough gold to buy provisions for the first five days’ travel
    -- a small backpack containing some clothing essentials
    -- a winter coat, raincoat and boots
    -- waterproof sleeping bag
    -- ONE long gun (and 800 rounds, but no scope)
    -- ONE handgun (and 1,000 rounds)
    -- TWO knives
    -- an axe
    -- a box of 1,000 “strike anywhere” waterproof matches
    -- a topological map, binoculars and a compass
    -- and a U.S. Army First Aid kit.
    Once there, you’ll be given a horse, a mule and a dog—and apart from that, you’re on your own. Remember you’ll be traveling through deep woods, open prairie, desert and mountains. You may encounter hostile Indian tribes and dangerous animals en route, which should be considered when you answer the following questions (and only these):

1. What long gun would you take back in time with you?
    2. What handgun?
    3. Which knives?
    ---------------------------------------------------------

I think I'll start a new thread in 'off topics, humor'.......

Check it out, some of the responces were well thought out & there is no ONE correct approach. This was a fun exercise....
    http://www.theothersideofkim.com/index.php/essays/
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

OD*
    If you could only have one firearm for a SHTF time in life, what would it be?
    A suppressed .22 rifle.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Long gun would be my 870 that serves as my HD weapon. I've used it for clays too and it seemed to work just as well as a 24" 870. But then again I'm not that great of a skeet shooter. And I can put a 1oz slug COM at 100yds with it.

Sidearm (if I can have two weapons) would be a SIG 220.

If it proves as reliable as it should be, the RobArm XCR with 5.56/7.62x39/6.8 barrel/bolts.

Otherwise, a 7.62x39 AK.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I think an 870 shotgun if the only gun. Really can't beat the versatility of a shotgun, and there are only a few long range situations it won't solve. If a drilling was an option, then a 223 over a 12 gauge.

Don't know as to what pistol I would select in addition to the shotgun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links