Do you insure your gun(s)?

This is a discussion on Do you insure your gun(s)? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Immediately on purchase, I insured my guns against all loss by adding them to the persoanl articles floater on my home owners insurance (State Farm). ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you insure your gun(s)?

Immediately on purchase, I insured my guns against all loss by adding them to the persoanl articles floater on my home owners insurance (State Farm). The cost is litteraly pennies per month and I'm covered against theft, damage, mysterious disappearance, hurricanes, etc. I've actually had a claim for a camera lens that fell while I was using it and the insurance worked beautifully. A photo and model and serial number are listed and I pay a few bucks a year to insure all my guns.

What sort of coverage do you have other than the usual NRA member benefit? Have you ever made a claim?

VIP Member
    Everyone has different ideas about stuff. I keep very high deductibles and don't specifically insure my guns. Their replacement cost is less than the 2 K deductible on my home owner's insurance. I also keep high deductibles on my autos. I did get burned once when I backed one car into another getting out the driveway and the repair was 600 bucks and my deductible was 2K , but I think in the long term I've come out ahead by keeping high deductibles and not insuring readily replaceable stuff.

I've got a rider on my guns through my homeowner's insurance. It's cheap, and is full replacement value.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I havce the NRA benefit and my homeowners has a $1,000 limit with a $500 deductible. So to run out of coverage, my loss would have to be in excess of $2,500, which is not the case. Now riders are good for various items, and I agree with your approach dependning on value. Also, photos and records are essential.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I have been thinking about this same decision...I'll let other weigh in.

ABSOLUTELY! They are worth more than all my vehicles put together. (I also insure the vehicles)
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I don't have enough coverage on my homeowner's insurance for all my guns, but I just bought a huge Liberty safe. Between the safe and the insurance I should be good.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I absolutely have my guns insured. I have a firearm specific policy that covers all of them.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

For some reason I thought my Homeowners covered them ? I need to check that ?

Two good safes...extra insurance...lots of ammo, I'm covered!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I have two that are insured individually, and I have a rider that covers the value of my entire collection. If I had just a few guns, I wouldnt bother. But with a substantial collection, I think its wise to do so.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Most policies have a maximum coverage for guns...mine is $1000. Doesn't begin to cover my loss.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

My friend is deep in to high dollar customs. He has a great safe and insurance. I dont think it was really that much for the policy if I remember correctly. A few dollars a thousand.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I would be the friend jwhite75 is referring. I checked into several different policies including home owners. By far the best I found was Jack at Eastern Insurance. One of the great things about them is it's a general policy, doesnt only cover guns, but also scopes, ammo, other valuables. Plus you do not have to appraise or give them any information on your guns unless any single item is over 10k. A lot of machine gun owners and pricey over/unders use them.
    I was thinking it was like $3.5 to $4.5 dollars a thousand depending on deductible. Call and talk to or email Jack, super nice guy, plus he is a gun enthusiast which makes me feel better. Granted like any insurance you never really know how good it is unless you have to use it.... When I was getting mine setup, he said he was working on a claim where an airline lost a guys 20k shotgun! Talk about ouch!
    Of course even though you dont have to give him any firearm information, it is highly encouraged to have a detailed gun inventory should a claim need to be made. This is a good idea for anyone, not just for insurance purposes. At least contact and see what they will do.... doesnt cost anything to check it out!
    http://historicfirearms.com/firearms-quote.html

Distinguished Member
    Also, there are a number of insurance companies that I have heard (though cannot confirm) will not cover firearms under homeowner's insurance...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links