Anyone else not terribly impressed with SHOT this year?

This is a discussion on Anyone else not terribly impressed with SHOT this year? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe it's because I'm basically happy with all my carry gear and I'm not looking for the next big thing but there just hasn't been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else not terribly impressed with SHOT this year?

Maybe it's because I'm basically happy with all my carry gear and I'm not looking for the next big thing but there just hasn't been anything announced/shown at the SHOT show that really caught my attention. The shotgun from Kel-tec is pretty cool but I don't see myself buying one as it's seems a bit overkill for home defense and I have a perfectly good 870. All the single stack nine's are pretty cool but for a summer carry I don't see myself giving up my SP101 though I do understand the value for those coming into the CCW culture. Overall everything I have seen so far has just kinda been....bleh....
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Yeah I can agree with that.

VIP Member
    I agree that there is nothing really ground breaking. The only thing that looks pretty cool is the new Kel-Tec shotgun
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I don't know, I kind of like a lot of the stuff at Shot.
    Any time new weapons come out, I'm happy.
    This Shot Show has shown me that a lot of the industry is confident in our 2nd Amendment Rights.
    The Industry is building guns. Pretty cool guns if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    The shotgun from Kel-tec is pretty cool but I don't see myself buying one as it's seems a bit overkill for home defense and I have a perfectly good 870.
    Does not compute.

If I had a SCAR I would be salivating over the tango down upgrades and I'd be loving it if I was in the market for a .308 gas gun. Unfortunately I don't and I'm not, so there's nothing that's got me waiting with credit card in hand. I'm also like you in that I'm covered for pretty much everything I need.

I liked the bobtailed laser grips from CT.

I'm excited about PDX1 being offered in .357 Magnum!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Does not compute.

If I had a SCAR I would be salivating over the tango down upgrades and I'd be loving it if I was in the market for a .308 gas gun. Unfortunately I don't and I'm not, so there's nothing that's got me waiting with credit card in hand. I'm also like you in that I'm covered for pretty much everything I need.
    There is no overkill! I love that idea of 15 rounds of 12 ga. buck shot in that little package. That will sell like hot cakes.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Actually, for small concealed carry pistols, it was not at all a bad show. We got the Kimber Solo, the Ruger LC9, and the Sig P290. They are all very viable new options for concealed carry.

I think that the big let down was caused by Glock. Everyone assumed that they had to be doing something other than just updating their pistols to Gen 4.

And the Smith and Wesson Governor did not seem to impress anyone at all. I think it caused some further let down as well.

I think that Smith & Wesson may end up having to recall the Governor.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Some of the small 9's were okay but I was REALLY hopeing for an officer's 9mm 1911 or a Kahr K45. I know you get a 1911 in 9mm but there aren't many options and most are too expensive. I was dreaming for a RIA compact in 9mm or like I said, my all time dream gun of a Kahr k45!

As for the Keltec shotgun; it looks cool but I'm not sure about how that would compare to my 870. I'd have to hold it to get an idea.

Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    I think that Smith & Wesson may end up having to recall the Governor.

By all accounts stupid people are buying up the judge in droves, I think these same idiots could prove very useful to S&W. Even though both are a dumb idea that offer worse performance than conventional revolvers and pistols all while being much larger and bulkier, they still make money at the end of the day.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i think calling people who buy the judge idiots is a little harsh, considering there is a niche it fits in as a woods and snake gun. not only that but i would have great use for the Judge rifle as a woods gun as I could load it with both 45 long colt and 410 shot, one for animals that may try to eat me, and one for snakes. Its a niche gun that some may not have use for. it would also imho be a fun gun for the range.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I'd like more info on the DB9. The Sig P290 is interesting, but seems heavy for the pocket role. The Kimber Solo is a let down to me - I don't want thumb safeties.

I'm very happy with my G26, but if someone can make a reliable and non-finicky pocket-sized 9mm, I would be interested in getting one and retiring my LCPs. I'd like my wife to upgrade from her LCP as well, but size and weight are a concern for her. We'll see...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Even thought it didn't really debut at SHOT I liked the new Ruger LC9, I'll probably pick one of those up. Otherwise the coverage didn't really hold my interest.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    What do you guys think about the new Walther PPQ?

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links