Light Primer Strikes

This is a discussion on Light Primer Strikes within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The primer in the pic is NOT a light strike. That one should have gone off. Primer problem, dude....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light Primer Strikes

The primer in the pic is NOT a light strike. That one should have gone off. Primer problem, dude.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

2. Remove Ads

UPDATE*******

Bump this up. Just to note. I have another dud, or light strike with my G30 today, using Aguila ammo. The strike looked a little weak. I tapped, racked and and kept shooting, then found the round on the ground. It went off on the second attempt. Strange though, I'd think if the gun had a problem, this would occur MUCH more frequently. Not once every 2 years..... I could blame the ammo. But I'm just not sure. The strikes on all the other spent casings are nice and deep. This one was not. I just have doubts blaming the gun as this is not at all a common problem. The first one happened two years ago, and then this one today. In between that time, the G30 has been reliable other than man-made or obvious ammo related failures.

The only other failures I've had with my G30 was a few FTF's that also plagued my M&P45 and 1911 the same day while using the same ammo (Independence ammo). I blamed that on ammo as I could feel that is was particularly weak and affected numerous guns that day. Other failures were created by my grip, which I was able to duplicate and purposely cause the issue (my left hand pushing up on the slide lock, causing it to lock back with a loaded mag). The only potential gun related failure I've had with the G30 are these two light strikes which I'm not sure what to blame. The gun or the ammo. I keep the firing pin and channel pretty clean and do not lube it in any way.

I have heard that striker fired guns need to have the striker spring replaced occasionally. I don't know how old this gun is and whether you store it hammer fired or loaded all the time with the hammer back. I would just look at my spent cases and make sure the hammer strikes look good and you can probably tell if the spring is weak or it was just a dud round. Rimfires get the rap for this kind of stuff all the time but it can happen to centerfires as well, just not as often.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

This gun is usually stored 10 +1 at all times in my safe. It's a carry and defensive pistol, so it's stored ready to use. But like I said, this happened two years ago and has gone this long without any issues, and then randomly again today. I'm not sure if that would be spring fatigue. Now if it continues to happen again and again, that would be something to take into consideration. But with the current circumstances, I'm leaning towards it being an ammo problem, I just can't say that for sure. All of the other spent casing had nice deep strikes into them, and suddenly, this one looked hard enough that it should have fired, yet not quite as hard as it should be.

I've read that sometimes primers can be installed to far into the cases sometimes preventing the firing pin from getting a good solid hit and will appear as light strikes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links