Light Primer Strikes

This is a discussion on Light Primer Strikes within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This happened Saturday. I shrugged it off as faulty ammo. I've always shot Remington UMC with no issues, other that one underpowered round causing a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Primer Strikes

Light Primer Strikes

This happened Saturday. I shrugged it off as faulty ammo. I've always shot Remington UMC with no issues, other that one underpowered round causing a stovepipe. 1000-2000 or so rounds.

I recently switched to PMC bronze, because it's even cheaper. For the first time ever, my Glock went "click!". I waited a few seconds, racked the slide, and the round was hit. It looked hard enough to ignite the round. Compared to a few other spent casings, it looked a little light. Again, I shrugged it off as a bad round. I kept on shooting, maybe another 50 rounds or so without an issue. Here is a spent casing on Cor-Bon that did ignite. It's not PERFECTLY centered, but the picture makes it look worse than it is.

About five minutes ago, I started thinking about it again, and it really started to bug me. I carry this gun. If it was a range gun, I wouldn't be so worried. Maybe I'm too worried, I know myself well enough to know I tend to be worried about things like this. Things that aren't a big deal.

But my question is, if infact it was a light strike, why would it happen only once? Usually, mechanical issues are fairly consistent. That why I'm leaning towards ammo problem. Maybe just a hard primer? Why would the primers be inconsistent?

I did NOT do a detail strip, but the firing pin does move freely, no dirt or gunk. The gun in NEVER dirty enough to causing malfunctions. May go up to 300 rounds without cleaning... maybe.

Am I nuts? Should I go back to the range and continue to function test this thing or what? How common are duds and anybody have this problem with PMC Brass?

2. Remove Ads

I'd guess a dud primer, or dud round in general, you didn't happen to keep the one that didn't fire, did u?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My buddy has had extreme problems lately with pmc bronze. Stove pipes, duds, and one round that was so underpowered it barely left the barrel. He freaked out and had his smith look over his XD. It was all atrributed to the ammo. You get what ya pay for i guess.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

There could be several things that would cause this other than the gun. 1. The primer not properly seated and the firing pin driving the primer in rather than igniting it. 2. The round not fully chambering and providing a solid surface for the firing pin to strike. This could be caused by a dirty chamber. 3. Bad primer.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I'd guess a dud primer, or dud round in general, you didn't happen to keep the one that didn't fire, did u?
    No I didn't. At the time, I just looked at it, thought "Must be cheap ammo" and threw it away, which is probably the case. What worried me, is thinking back to the moment, the dent the primer made on that specific round just didn't look as if the striker hit it as hard as all the other casings. Still, it had a nice dent in it. Enough, I'd think, to ignite the round.

Hopefully it was just a dud round. I'd hate for this ammo to really be that unreliable because I have 1000 round of it to go through :) It makes me want to grab 100-200 rounds and go to the range and blast some rounds down range to make myself feel at ease.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Most firing pins/strikers hit primers harder than needed to fire them, for obvious reasons. Contrary to CSI, not all primer strikes are identical due to differences in primer construction, material, and seating. A light strike is a gun malfunction, usually repeatable due to mechanical fault or gunk buildup, and should be obvious by a noticeably lighter indentation on the suspect primer. A misfired primer struck normally is an ammo failure; they make a bad primer on occasion.

One failure out of a box of "PMC bronze, because it's even cheaper" while unusual, isn't to be completely unexpected. I would have refired the round to make sure. I wouldn't loose sleep over it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thought about refiring it but I've never had a bad round before. Wasn't sure if refiring was safe. I should have kept it. It's not like it was very light strike. Like on ARs and AKs. When chambering a round, the floating firing pin contacts the primer and may leave a small barley noticeable mark. It was nothing like that. Defiantly enough to make it go off. I defiantly didn't lose sleep last night. But it still concerns me. Probably was a bad round you guys are right. It does make me feel better but I Wong feel 100% better until I go put a few hundred flawless rounds trough my g30.

Another thing I would look to is the number of carry rounds that you have fired, how recently you have fired any and if you have "ever" had a problem with them.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Unless this is the ammo that you carry for defense, I would not worry about it at all. If your defense ammo or some main line brand goes bang everytime (Winchester, Cor-bon, Remington, etc..) then just chalk it up to a bad round. If you really want to get picky about it, clean the gun and replace the striker/firing pin and spring. But that should not have to be changed for thousands of rounds, really I would now worry about it and I have worked on a LOT of Glocks...

Jess
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Another thing I would look to is the number of carry rounds that you have fired, how recently you have fired any and if you have "ever" had a problem with them.
    I haven't fired any carry round lately but I will fire off a magazine worth because I don't have much sitting around. It's cor-bon dpx. That picture is from a case fired awhile ago. I'll fire some off when I get the chance to check it's functionality.

Another thing, since my g30 is my carry gun I keep it stored in the holster, round in the chamber. Since a glock is half cocked when a round is chambered, is it putting stress on the firing pin spring? They look fairly easy to replace.

Carrying the gun "cocked and locked" as all Glocks are when a round is chambered, will not stress the spring beyond what it is designed to used for. And replacing the striker spring would take you all of about 5 minutes. If you have had this for a while and shot it a lot, then I would just get a set of springs for the gun and magazines from Wolff. Best $20 you will ever spend on the gun. And don't worry about keeping a round chambered. It has been proven LONG ago that keeping a hammer cocked or magazine loaded will not decrease the useful life nor reliability of a gun if replaced at regular many hundreds of rounds intervals. I like to change my recoil spring, mag springs and firing pin/hammer springs every 500-1000 rounds but that is mostly because I am anal.
    Jess
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

I've never had any problems with PMC ammo other than it being a bit dirty.

Had a problem with an XD9 last month,had reloads that weren't firing on the first hit,ran them thru another gun and they fired just fine,I disassembled the slide and cleaned the firing pin channel firing pin and spring,after reassembly the gun fired just fine,may of been gunk built up over a few years that was slowing down the firing pin causing light hits,and my primers were wolff and could be harder than normal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well guys, Thank you for the comments! My Glock is always clean. If I ever go without cleaning it, it's only because I shot 50 rounds of so through it. The firing pin always moves freely.

I hit the indoor range with my dad tonight. It was nice. Since the weather is crappy, nobody I guess wanted to venture out in the ice to go to the range, except us!

Anyway, I took about 120 rounds of PMC and about 90 rounds of Remington UMC, and one magazine of Cor-Bon DPX. I will say, this is the first time I've shot DPX indoors and there is a noticeable amount of MORE flash. Which is expected, I just never really thought of it before. The PMC functioned just fine. That made me happy. No duds, all went bang! The UMC on the other hand, no duds, no FTE or FTF's, but I had two failures to lock back on the last round. This happened with my Hk USP as well one time in the summer using UMC. Clearly ammo related. The UMC is noticeably lighter than the PMC. But, all went bang, and I'm sure it was faulty ammo. I had to go in order to clear my mind, as it was just really bugging me. I can't carry a gun after it has a failure. I have to then go to the range so it can then again proves it's reliability to me, even though this was an ammo problem after all. I was shooting a VERY tight consistent group when I first started shooting. Even shooting roughly 3 shots a second I was maintaining good accuracy. Practiced a few other things too. It was a good night. My Dad's G19 HATES Wolf "Military Classic" ammo. It shoots Federal flawlessly. But he doesn't get hung up on that kind of stuff like I do, since he mainly using his gun for fun, not carry.

I think next time I go, I'm going to load some snap caps at random and practice for dud's.

Thanks guys :)

I had the same thing happen to me with my bodyguard .380 with a hollow point. I just throw it out and keep shooting it only happen one time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links