Identifying a Luger (P.08)

This is a discussion on Identifying a Luger (P.08) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a matching numbers P.08 Luger that my dad brought home from the war. On the top of the receiver it has 42 and ...

Thread: Identifying a Luger (P.08)

VIP Member

I have a matching numbers P.08 Luger that my dad brought home from the war. On the top of the receiver it has 42 and byf on the top of the frog leg. I think it was made by Mauser, but I would like to know more about it, The serial number is 3830. Can anyone tell me what the probable date of manufacture is on this gun or direct me to more resources?

Below are a few pictures of this gun from the left and right and a close up of the markings on the right side just behind the barrel. The color and lighting are most accurate on the first picture. I appreciate any help y'all can provide.

It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The "byf" is the German military supplier code and indicates that this pistol was manufactured by Deutche Waffen und Munitions Fabriken (DWM, aka: Mauser). "42" indicates 1942 production. Serial numbers indicate sequence of production during that year (3830th piece of that model made during 1942).

DWM was one of the primary arms makers for the German military. Another was Erma Werke, and they also made P08 pistols during WW2.

The additional markings are called "Waffenamts", inspection and acceptance markings of the German army. There are published sources that may provide further information based on the specific numbers stamped with the eagle-with-swastika proofmark.

The magazine has the proper aluminum base, and should also be serial numbered to the pistol, although magazines are interchangeable and replacement magazines were not commonly serial numbered.

So, a genuine military contract production P08 that appears to be entirely original. There were also commercial pistols produced, which would have the stylized "DWM" trademark over the breach, along with production year stamped. Many of the commercial pistols were privately purchased by German officers.

I suggest that you document your father's historical account for this pistol. Details of when and how it came into his possession, along with the provenance of ownership since that time, are always interesting to collectors.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

VIP Member
    Loboleather - Thanks. I appreciate the info. Dad is still around, so I will get the scoop as he remembers it.

Neither mag is serialized, so I guess the original(s) were replaced prior to my dad liberating it. The scabbard is in pretty good shape as well.
    Last edited by ksholder; February 2nd, 2011 at 02:40 PM.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Links