Mauser 98

This is a discussion on Mauser 98 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So my gf's father gave me a Mauser 98. I have a few questions regarding the Mauser. Anyone with any kind of information please post ...

Thread: Mauser 98

Mauser 98

So my gf's father gave me a Mauser 98. I have a few questions regarding the Mauser. Anyone with any kind of information please post or mail me as I have searched for hours online and all it does is turn me around in circles. I can give further details on the situation just right now I honestly have no clue where to begin. Please try not to flame me because as this is was a gift I'd like to be able to at least salvage the rifle not for hunting but for something to mess around with on range days. Thank You in advance to any and all who respond.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit" -Aristotle

2. Remove Ads

What kind of questions do you have about it?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    K-98's are great guns........though not as great as a Garand.

Is it functional? Are you trying to re-build it? Was it a war souvenir? Pictures?

I have one, though don't consider myself a Mauser guru. I also have a Swedish mauser, now that's a good shootin' Mauser !

Good luck on your project, there are lot's of knowledgeable members here who can help you, and at this link:

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/index.php
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member
    Marry her. sounds like a great father-in-law.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    K-98's are great guns........though not as great as a Garand.

Is it functional? Are you trying to re-build it? Was it a war souvenir? Pictures?

I have one, though don't consider myself a Mauser guru. I also have a Swedish mauser, now that's a good shootin' Mauser !

Good luck on your project, there are lot's of knowledgeable members here who can help you, and at this link:

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/index.php
    Good Advice The surplusrifleforum has tons of info on all types of Mausers. Just be careful. Collecting them can become addictive
    If you cannot stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

If you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself..."Baa."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    So my gf's father gave me a Mauser 98. I have a few questions regarding the Mauser. Anyone with any kind of information please post or mail me as I have searched for hours online and all it does is turn me around in circles. I can give further details on the situation just right now I honestly have no clue where to begin. Please try not to flame me because as this is was a gift I'd like to be able to at least salvage the rifle not for hunting but for something to mess around with on range days. Thank You in advance to any and all who respond.
    You said you have a few questions but you didn't list any. Ask away, someone will have answers for you.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

the reason i didnt post questions is because i really didnt want to look like an idiot right out the gate lol but the questions are this. 1. how far can the barrel be cut down before it becomes pretty much useless or non-salvageable. 2. are there serial numbers on the barrel because it looks as if the previous owner might have filed them down (not her dad the guy he traded 2 pistols for). and finally 3. IF there were serial numbers on the barrel what should i do legally to keep my butt from getting locked up or worse unable to obtain a FFL.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit" -Aristotle

and thank you all for responding so quickly ever since he gave me the rifle i've been searching online for hours on info learning what i can (ppkheat thank you for the link im looking at it as i type this) and (phreddy i was actually thinking the same thing lol after 20 minutes of talking to me the man wants to take me deer hunting and pretty much have a range day with ALL his rifles and revolvers either he wants me to try em out or use me as target practice hopefully the first idea lol)

VIP Member
    Answer 1. Unless you are a gunsmith any cutting of the barrel will make it useless. The most important part of the barrel from an accuracy standpoint is the muzzle/crown. Unless you have very good lathe skills I would just buy a replacement barrel in the caliber and length that you desire.

That brings me to answers for 2 and 3 combined. The part of the gun required by the law to have a serial number on it is the action. The barrel can be removed and a new one threaded on. So if the gun doesn't have a serial number on the barrel you're fine.

Link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...0766***9144***

thanks timmy your a life saver ive been freaking out this entire time whether to keep the gun or not because of the possible missing serial numbers because like i said i'll be applying for my FFL soon and last thing i want is to be in the wrong end of a bad situation again thank you.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    thanks timmy your a life saver ive been freaking out this entire time whether to keep the gun or not because of the possible missing serial numbers because like i said i'll be applying for my FFL soon and last thing i want is to be in the wrong end of a bad situation again thank you.
    Yup, no sweat. After your email I googled the name you sent me. It is the arsenal and the year it was made.

Links