information/identy of single action 1871

This is a discussion on information/identy of single action 1871 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One other thing, take the ejector rod housing off the gun, there should be a serial number there as well, possibly two. I have an ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: information/identy of single action 1871

OD*
    One other thing, take the ejector rod housing off the gun, there should be a serial number there as well, possibly two. I have an Artillery model and it's barrel was changed, and not cut-down like others, it has two serial numbers, that of the guns frame, and the other for the new barrel.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

I knew OD would make it around here, eventually. Good info OD. Random question from me, caliber on this one would be .45LC if it was a military contract pistol, right?

That is a pretty good estate sale grab IMO.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Random question from me, caliber on this one would be .45LC if it was a military contract pistol, right?

That is a pretty good estate sale grab IMO.
    That is correct, sir. The Model 1873s were only offered in .45 Colt, until 1875 when they were chambered for the .44 rimfire, then in 1876 they were offered in .476 Eley for the English market, and the .44WCF (.44-40) was intro'd in 1878.

~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    On the barrel under the ejector tube near the frame. " 26XX "
    Sorry, I over looked this sentence, the barrel has been replaced.

~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    That is correct, sir. The Model 1873s were only offered in .45 Colt, until 1875 when they were chambered for the .44 rimfire, then in 1876 they were offered in .476 Eley for the English market, and the .44WCF (.44-40) was intro'd in 1878.
    Thanks OD, I do okay with modern production or 20th century military stuff, but I was pretty stumped by this one. My assumption of clone meant I didn't even really consider that it could be an original.

Are there supposed to be Colt rollmarks on it, that are some point when it was refinished got filled in? I'm always trying to build up my knowledge base.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Are there supposed to be Colt rollmarks on it, that are some point when it was refinished got filled in? I'm always trying to build up my knowledge base.
    On these early ones, just the "Colt's PT, F, A, MFG. Co, Hartford, CT. USA." on top of the barrel (which were frequently buffed off when reblued on the commercial market), and the U.S. stamp next to the Patent dates on the left side of the frame.

~ Tiger McKee

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    OD may correct me on this but the BP frame would indicate that at least the frame doesn't have the strength to handle modern .45 Colt ammo. The cutoff date I think was 1896. Light black powder loads with a filler if you just have to shoot it. I personally wouldn't. The old girl has lived a long time and deserves a rest.

OD*
    You're mostly correct.
    The transverse cylinder pin release was introduced in 1892, became standard in 1896, but the revolvers weren't actually warranted for smokeless powder use until 1900. I would not shoot the old girl either, even with the lightest of black powder loads.

~ Tiger McKee

Well, heck, that's good news OD. Thank you very much! And thank you Buckeye and Royal Barnes.
    In answer to your question about the DFC on the barrel, yes. The P at the beginning of the lettering is of different size, then followed by DFC.
    I appreciate your sharing your knowledge and advice.

I was tempted to pick up some light load Cowboy stuff to just shoot this piece of American West history just once to get an even greater sense of her soul. But I guess you're right in leaving her be still. I just think it's a shame that this gun was literally [B]thrown[B] in a heap of guns in a cabinet in the basement of this guy's house.
    Not sure now if I can bring myself to sell this icon. That was my original intent; pick up a parcel of firearms cheap and then make a buck or two. Probably just sell enough of them to make my investment back and keep the rest.

A person can never have TOO many guns, huh?
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

OD*
    You're welcome.
    If you will provide me with the full serial number, I'll research my books and see if I can locate your serial. Example, serial 5761 was one of 85 reworked revolvers shipped directly from Colt to "Battery D 5th U.S. Artillery" at Fort Sheridan Illinois, on February 20th, 1901.

~ Tiger McKee

Serial number is on its way. And yes, I'd really like to know a little more about her. Colt Mfg. wants a huge fee to check their archives. Do you think they could add any more than what you'd find? And would a letter from Colt add to her value? I know as a collectible her monetary value is severely dimished by how the buffing and bluing were done.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

OD*
    I like to have the letters, just a little more authentication. It would tell you where the Colt was first shipped to, and how many were in that shipment. It probably would not tell you the barrel length, or what kind of stocks the gun had at shipment, only because the military pistols of that era all had the same 7 1/2" barrel, and one piece walnut stocks.

~ Tiger McKee

Hope these help out. More to follow.
    Attached Images

here's a few more. Program doesn't want to load too many at a time.
    Attached Images

OD*
    That will help. I'll do some research tomorrow.

~ Tiger McKee

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links