information/identy of single action 1871 - Page 3

information/identy of single action 1871

This is a discussion on information/identy of single action 1871 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last of the photos. And thanks so much OD. I hope this helps....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: information/identy of single action 1871

Last of the photos. And thanks so much OD. I hope this helps.
    Attached Images
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

OD*
    You're welcome sir. I'll be in touch.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Bud,

I haven't had a lot of time to research your pistol, what little I have found so far is this;

Colt SAA serial number 577X falls in Lot 6 (5505-6516) of 1,000 pistols shipped from Colt on Feb. 13th. 1874, to the Springfield National Armory, received by them for inspection on Feb. 17th. 1874. Shipped from Springfield to Rock Island IL. (a U.S. arsenal). Cavalry regiment designated issuance, the Seventh Cavalry. It MIGHT be possible you have what originally had been/could be, an extremely rare "Custer" Colt. BUT, the above information DOES NOT mean your pistol was actually in the Lot 6 shipment, it may have been condemned for some reason, and diverted for civilian sales etc. I haven't gotten around to researching all the markings you have listed yet, I will though.

It maybe in your best interest to get the Colt letter.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Bud,

I haven't had a lot of time to research your pistol, what little I have found so far is this;

Colt SAA serial number 577X falls in Lot 6 (5505-6516) of 1,000 pistols shipped from Colt on Feb. 13th. 1874, to the Springfield National Armory, received by them for inspection on Feb. 17th. 1874. Shipped from Springfield to Rock Island IL. (a U.S. arsenal). Cavalry regiment designated issuance, the Seventh Cavalry. It MIGHT be possible you have what originally had been/could be, an extremely rare "Custer" Colt. BUT, the above information DOES NOT mean your pistol was actually in the Lot 6 shipment, it may have been condemned for some reason, and diverted for civilian sales etc. I haven't gotten around to researching all the markings you have listed yet, I will though.

Dan, anything you have time for is greatly appreciated. Rock Island Armory is right up the Mississippi from me here in St. Louis. That makes this firearm even more significant to me. Needless to say, if it happened to have gone to the Seventh Calvary......well? I'd be ecstatic! Please let me know if you are able to find any more information.

I've read that for some early serial numbers such as this one, Colt may not be able to archive it. Not sure if this is a true statement. I'll give them a call and see what they think.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Bud,

Wow...this is quite a find as it is, and this could make it an increadible find. I'd be interested to know what an estimated value is when all of the information is in.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    Dan, anything you have time for is greatly appreciated. Rock Island Armory is right up the Mississippi from me here in St. Louis. That makes this firearm even more significant to me. Needless to say, if it happened to have gone to the Seventh Calvary......well? I'd be ecstatic! Please let me know if you are able to find any more information.

I've read that for some early serial numbers such as this one, Colt may not be able to archive it. Not sure if this is a true statement. I'll give them a call and see what they think.
    I think Colt should have something on a pistol from this era, they lost many records in a terrible fire around 1864. One thing that slipped my mind after you told me you were sure it was a "P" before David F. Clark's initials, those "P"s stand for proofed, there should be several on the gun in different locations. I thought I saw, or you mentioned a "C"? Colt stamped a C on all condemned parts. I'll keep looking, this pistol has really piqued my interest.

I think Colt should have something on a pistol from this era, they lost many records in a terrible fire around 1864. One thing that slipped my mind after you told me you were sure it was a "P" before David F. Clark's initials, those "P"s stand for proofed, there should be several on the gun in different locations. I thought I saw, or you mentioned a "C"? Colt stamped a C on all condemned parts. I'll keep looking, this pistol has really piqued my interest.
    There is a "C" in the hammer channel above the firing pin hole and below the rear sight. There is a "P" on the cylinder that the camera flash picked up as well as the "P" before the inspector's initials on the barrel.

OD*
    Sorry, had a double tap there.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    here's a few more. Program doesn't want to load too many at a time.
    The markings on the rear of the cylinder, are they letters or numbers, I can't quite make them out?
    Are there any markings at all on the walnut stocks?

OD*
    On the trigger guard to the rear of the forward screw hole. " 16XXX"
    By serial number, the trigger guard is off a pistol made in 1875.

"L" With the L centered like that under the number. Serial number?
    It is just an L, or does it look like there may have been letters in front of the L? If centered, probably not, it would then represent a Colt civilian inspector stamp

On the frame in front of the trigger guard. " 57XX "
    We know the frame is from 1874.

Under the trigger guard, in the frame, left of the forward trigger guard screw hole. " 10 " Right of the forward trigger guard screw hole " 6 ".
    There should be an assembly number under the trigger guard that matches the number on the loading gate (it should not match the frame serial number).

Below the rear sight, above the firing pin hole. " C "
    C represents "condemned" your pistol may not have meant the Government specifications and was later sold on the civilian market, known to collectors as "buy backs" (which would explain some of the civilian inspection stamps).

On the barrel under the ejector tube near the frame. " 26XX "OK, we know that is not the original barrel, but is from 1874.

On the barrel under the ejector tube near the front screw strung vertically. " 0 "
    " G "
    "unreadable" (possibly a backwards 6)

It is it the letter O or a zero? "O" signifies an overrun. "G" signifies Colt Government inspector.

On the rear of the frame near the front strap screw hole. " t "
    Colt inspector stamp.

The metal of the frame where there is no bluing like inside the cylinder housing is mottled/brass-colored. Is that case hardened coloring?
    I would imagine it's from the heat treating, early frames were iron and not brass.

It's kinda looking like you have a buy back.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Wow...this is quite a find as it is, and this could make it an increadible find. I'd be interested to know what an estimated value is when all of the information is in.
    You amd me both, Bugdude!

The markings on the rear of the cylinder, are they letters or numbers, I can't quite make them out?
    Are there any markings at all on the walnut stocks?
    On the rear of the cylinder face, one marking is an upper case "B", the other is as best I can see a double hash mark? Like two parallel lines about the same size as the "B". That's all I can tell for sure, even with the camera flash or with a lighted 3X maginifying glass.

Quote Originally Posted by OD*;
    [B
    It is just an L, or does it look like there may have been letters in front of the L? If centered, probably not, it would then represent a Colt civilian inspector stamp [/B]
    It looks to just be an "L"

Under the trigger guard, in the frame, left of the forward trigger guard screw hole. " 10 " Right of the forward trigger guard screw hole " 6 ".
    There should be an assembly number under the trigger guard that matches the number on the loading gate (it should not match the frame serial number).
    Yes there is a number on the loading gate but it doesn't match the number under the trigger guard

On the barrel under the ejector tube near the front screw strung vertically. " 0 "
    " G "
    "unreadable" (possibly a backwards 6)

It is it the letter O or a zero? "O" signifies an overrun. "G" signifies Colt Government inspector.
    It could very well be the letter "O".

It's kinda looking like you have a buy back.
    Well gosh OD. Thanks so much! You put a lot of time and effort into this one and I appreciate it. I guess a "buy back" gun doesn't quite have the prestige as a "Custer gun" would have had but who knows what infamous charactor from our American West could have used this? In any case, it's been quite intriguing. You've done very well by me and this great handgun.

OD*
    You're welcome Bud, it's enjoyable to me.

Not a lot more to research really, without knowing where the pistol was first shipped, and that would take a Colt letter. I forgot to ask earlier, is there a number on one of the cylinder flutes approximately .2" from the rear face? I'm certain some of the numbers and stamps were buffed off when it was refinished.

A bit of SAA trivia, Tom Selleck carried a "Custer Colt" in his version of the movie Monte Walsh. There were actually two pistols, both were rebuilt using original four digit serial numbered frames by Kenny Howell of R&D Gun Shop into exact replicas of "Ainsworth" Colt's (Orville W. Ainsworth, first principal sub-inspector for the military, from 1831 thru 1874).

Yea OD*!

I've been out of town for a week and just read through this fine thread started by resqr9142. Great stuff on a firearm model that greatly interests me.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links