information/identy of single action 1871

This is a discussion on information/identy of single action 1871 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OD* You're welcome Bud, it's enjoyable to me. Not a lot more to research really, without knowing where the pistol was first ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: information/identy of single action 1871

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You're welcome Bud, it's enjoyable to me.

Not a lot more to research really, without knowing where the pistol was first shipped, and that would take a Colt letter. I forgot to ask earlier, is there a number on one of the cylinder flutes approximately .2" from the rear face? I'm certain some of the numbers and stamps were buffed off when it was refinished.

A bit of SAA trivia, Tom Selleck carried a "Custer Colt" in his version of the movie Monte Walsh. There were actually two pistols, both were rebuilt using original four digit serial numbered frames by Kenny Howell of R&D Gun Shop into exact replicas of "Ainsworth" Colt's (Orville W. Ainsworth, first principal sub-inspector for the military, from 1831 thru 1874).

I'm not able to check for that mark on the cylinder flute. It'll be tomorrow before I have a chance. As far as the Colt letter goes, I'd like to get one. The price seems steep to me. That's going to have to go on the wish list. I'd gotten a probable worth on this handgun of $500. At this time I'm undecided if I'll keep her or sell her. Either way, a letter would increase her value in a couple of ways. I am interested in her history and knowing there is documentation in Colt's archives will get the better of me and I'll spend the cash sooner or later.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

2. Remove Ads

I no longer have much important I can add on this, but I must say, it is very interesting.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

OD*
    Yeah, the person that quoted you 5 bills wouldn't also be looking to buy it from you would they? Do not sell it for $500 dollars.

What is Colt asking for a letter now?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Yeah, the person that quoted you 5 bills wouldn't also be looking to buy it from you would they? Do not sell it for $500 dollars.

What is Colt asking for a letter now?
    Nah, it was just a collector's site and he was the "ask the expert" guy. Sole purpose I believe is just giving valuations. I've checked auction sites and have seen no pistols that were as poorly preserved as mine as far as numbers and markings are concerned and none were refinished.

Colt's archive site is asking $100 for bare-bones research and letter.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I no longer have much important I can add on this, but I must say, it is very interesting.
    Thanks for all you did and for directing me to OD. Its been a good way to spend a few hours.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Yea OD*!

I've been out of town for a week and just read through this fine thread started by resqr9142. Great stuff on a firearm model that greatly interests me.
    I wondered where you were, especially being a fan of the old Colt. Good to have you back amigo.

~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    Nah, it was just a collector's site and he was the "ask the expert" guy. Sole purpose I believe is just giving valuations. I've checked auction sites and have seen no pistols that were as poorly preserved as mine as far as numbers and markings are concerned and none were refinished.

Colt's archive site is asking $100 for bare-bones research and letter.
    OK, thank you, the letter have gone up then since my last one. I appreciate the heads-up.

~ Tiger McKee

I wondered where you were, especially being a fan of the old Colt. Good to have you back amigo.
    Thanks OD*.

Love the Colt Single Action Army but don't have the information on tap that you provided in this thread. Just have general Colt books and one ratty .38-40 SAA.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Well, being the nice guy I am, I'll take that ratty ol' 38/40 off your hands, heck, I'd even pay shipping!

In my humble opinion, the two best books on the Colt Single Actions are; "A Study of the Colt Single Action Army Revolver" by John Kopec, C. Kenneth Moore & Ron Graham. The best on the military Colt SAAs is, "Colt Cavalry and Artillery Revolvers ... A Continuing Study" by John Kopec and H. Sterling Fenn.

Edit: Whoa, I just saw how much the books are going for now, maybe I should sell mine!

http://www.amazon.com/Study-Colt-Sin...7394642&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Colt-cavalry-a...7394642&sr=1-1

~ Tiger McKee

I knew they were high but I didn't know just how high they've become. I bought a whole Colt revolver for not much more than the price of "A Study..." a month or so ago. In fact I gave $5 less than that book's cost for my Colt SAA .38-40 ... in 1983.

If that makes any difference, heh!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links