S&W Bodyguard 380 Pistol with Laser

This is a discussion on S&W Bodyguard 380 Pistol with Laser within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok guys I have been searching up and down looking for posts on these guns. I was at the store looking at one of these ...

Thread: S&W Bodyguard 380 Pistol with Laser

S&W Bodyguard 380 Pistol with Laser

Ok guys I have been searching up and down looking for posts on these guns. I was at the store looking at one of these and wanted to buy it so bad, but first I would like to get some feedback on this item, re: stopping power, reliability etc. Guys feel free to throw what you know at me before I drop the 300 dollars on it.
    One more step and it's on!

2. Remove Ads

I just bought one haven't shot it yet. Google it and you will find a lot of info. Also ck out www.bodyguard380.com it is a forum all about them. The first ones had some problems but they seem to have worked all the bugs out now. I got it for my wife because she was wanting a 380 and had been looking at a Lcp.So far she likes it. Will have to see if she likes it better than her 642. I paid 340 for it. It has better sights than the Lcp, the slide will lock back on an empty mag the Lcp won't. The laser on off button can be turned on with your trigger finger when you draw.

You can also go to the Smith and Wesson forum. They have some realy good info on the Bodyguard.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

I bought one in December and have about 150 rounds through it with no problems. Look at the serial number - EAA & EAB series were the ones that had issues. Mine's an EAF, I think they're up to EAH now. Mine is very accurate with iron sights and the laser, and even though it's a small gun, the recoil isn't bad. My EDC for years has been a .38 snubbie, and I don't feel undergunned at all with this. It's very concealable due to the size. You'll want to look for holsters either made for the BG380 or Ruger LCP with a laser.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Lasers. Next you'll be wanting a light saber.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have one of the EAA serial numbers. I like the gun quite a lot. It is really easy to carry, light and small, you can wear it at the waist, under your arm, at your ankle, ina pocket, etc. and just forget that it is there. It is accurate with good sights. It is more comfortable to fire than the Ruger LCP. I have a little problem with inserting a magazine with JHP rounds; it requires pressing the mag release to insert the mag. My BG380 has been back to the mother ship twice - once for a trigger pin that was coming loose and the second time for a takedown pin that was coming loose. Both times S$W paid the postage both ways and was quick to get it straightened out.

If you take a few minutes to sight the gun in at the range for, say, 10 yards, you laser will give you good aim from zero to 15 yards with no problem. Beyond 15 yards, you should use another gun.

I was thinking of getting Golden Saber Bonded rounds for this baby as I use them in all my weapons. I am not trying to get caught up in a caliber war but will this weapon with good rounds like the Golden Sabers be effective?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Lasers. Next you'll be wanting a light saber.
    Uhh Ya think so?

I am thinking of it as a good summer under the t-shirt gun. I saw it at the gun store by me but they wanted 354 dollars. A little searching on line and LEO can get it for 289 shipped from Express police supply.

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    I was thinking of getting Golden Saber Bonded rounds for this baby as I use them in all my weapons. I am not trying to get caught up in a caliber war but will this weapon with good rounds like the Golden Sabers be effective?
    From what I've been reading the golden sabers won't expand from shorter barrel 380s. Winchester pdx1,Speer gold dot,and Hornady critical defense seem to do ok

Quote Originally Posted by mj40p View Post
    From what I've been reading the golden sabers won't expand from shorter barrel 380s. Winchester pdx1,Speer gold dot,and Hornady critical defense seem to do ok
    Roger that. Noted. Thanks for the heads up.

Well guys before I drop the 288 dollars for this gun, tell me is a .380 stout enough as a self defense weapon. I know the old adage that I would rather have a gun in a fight regardless of caliber, but I haven't purchased a new gun in over 4 years so I am getting antsy. Please someone give me some insight. I have a 38 snubbie. a 9mm Glock and a 40 cal Glock.

As long as your shots are well placed, I believe a .380 is OK. I carry a Colt .380, and am not in the least uncomfortable about it.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Links