My son needs help... - Page 2

My son needs help...

This is a discussion on My son needs help... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am in the same boat eye-dominance wise. Would a holographic sight be the answer?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My son needs help...

I am in the same boat eye-dominance wise. Would a holographic sight be the answer?

Right handed left eye dominant as well. I can shoot with both eyes. Practice is key. It was much easier for me to learn to use the other eye than the other hand.

What you want to do is cover his left (dominant) eye with a piece of tape, patch, etc.... this will force him to use his right eye and if you do it every time you shoot it will become second nature.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    The Marine Corps uses the approach that it is easier to teach them to be a lefty, than to fiddle with the eye dominance. Of course, I don't know if age would play a factor into that at all. And that organization is pretty good at turning people into marksmen.
    So far as I have read, one cannot change his eye dominance. However, many folks have learned to change from right to left and from left to right in performing activities, whether it be golf, batting, shooting, or handling a mouse on a computer. It seems that 5 years of age is a good age to start learning to shoot in a manner which matches the dominant eye.

I recall that as a boy I was taught to bat switch hitting, and ultimately switched from right to left (probably to match with my dominant eye). Then there was Mickey Mantle, one of the greatest switch hitters ever).

My opinion: If he can match his shooting with eye dominance, it will be better in the long run. If not, he still can become a good shooter.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

kpw
    My dad and 2 of my daughters are cross-eye dominant. They squint the dominant eye. It takes the focus off that eye and allows the other to take over while still allowing some perpheral vision. Younger kids seem to have a hard time squinting one eye so I taught my daughters to close the left eye until they were able to squint later. I'm not cross-eye dominant but when shooting weak hand only, I use this technique to aim with my left eye. It takes some practice but eventually it becomes second nature.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I speak from experience...grandma wouldn't let me be lefty when I was a kid but I am left eye dominant. I write and throw righty but am left foot dominant and left eye dominant. Would have been pure lefty but grandma wouldn't allow it.

All that to say I decided to shoot lefty when I started shooting and carrying because it was available and easier to shoot without being cross-dominant. AND there is a tactical advantage to being left-handed as far as cc goes, because everyone expects people to be righty. So there are plenty of reasons to allow him to be left-handed. Almost every handgun that is worth anything is ambi now, so that's not an issue. And teh intarwebz allows us lefties to get holsters and whatnot just as easily as righties. So that is not a problem.

Personally I would train him from his strengths and let him be lefty.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Are we talking rifle or pistol?
    Rifle at this time. I want to start him with a .22.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post
    I am in the same boat eye-dominance wise. Would a holographic sight be the answer?

I was considering mentioning this, but honestly, I am not sure how it would work. The Bindon Aiming Concept is what allows red dot/holographic sights to be used with both eyes open, but honestly I haven't tried it using my non-dominant eye behind the sight that I can ever remember. It might work out, but I am not sure. I don't know if it would work since the dominant eye (this is in my very general understanding) tends to take precedence when things aren't the same. It might be worth looking into.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Cross eye dominant....I tried to "correct" it. It didnt work. Teach him how to work with it. I qualify expert at my handgun quals regularly and shoot a right hand draw with my left eye on the sights. I keep both eyes open...it works for me not everybody. I shoot right handed long guns...on the left side. Works for me. The younger you get him to work with it, the better he will be in the long run.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Rifle at this time. I want to start him with a .22.
    In that case, I'd stick with plain iron sights and let him shoot for a bit on his own with no instruction from you. (Aside from safety coaching of course) See what he works out on his own and go from there. I think we are to quick to slap gadgets on or come up with some fancy methods when the kid probably will be able to work things out on his own given the chance. Sometimes we make these types of situations worse by jumping the gun on things.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I must be one of the few weirdos on the forum that is a lefty but shoots right handed and is right eye dominant. Interestingly enough I also prefer to throw baseballs and such right handed.

I'm a little confused, I am right handed but left eye dominant and I have never had a problem with it at all. In fact, i would prefer to be like this as I can shoot with either eye aiming and with either hand.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    In that case, I'd stick with plain iron sights and let him shoot for a bit on his own with no instruction from you. (Aside from safety coaching of course) See what he works out on his own and go from there. I think we are to quick to slap gadgets on or come up with some fancy methods when the kid probably will be able to work things out on his own given the chance. Sometimes we make these types of situations worse by jumping the gun on things.
    I'd have to agree with SIXTO and the more I think about it, that is how my Dad taught me to shoot. I had a single shot bolt action .22 and he let me figure it out for myself as far as what eye to use and all, then he built on that.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    My big boy is 5 years old. He is right handed but is left eye dominant (just like his dad). I learned on my own to shoot left handed but it's always been a problem to find guns and holsters. I'd rather my boy shoot right handed.

How can I teach him to use the other eye?
    There are patches and eye covers you can use that will cause the weak eye to work harder by covering the strong eye. But, I wouldn't really worry too much about it.

Just have him shoot with the hand he is most comfortable with. It shouldn't really be a big issue if he shoots a handgun. But, he may find he like shooting a long gun "left" handed.

My son is rh/led as well; and preferred shooting his 22lr left handed when he first started shooting 5yrs ago. Now, he's 11yrs old and can put round after round in a 10" circle @ 100yds using his right hand. (Scope, or No scope) He is still left eye dominant. But, he has learned to adapt.

My wife was rth/led when she started shooting a few years ago. Now, she as adapted and can shoot just a long gun with either hand. She also seems to be red now instead of led. (I'm just the opposite of both of them. I can't hit crap with my left!)

Quote Originally Posted by radshooter View Post
    My daughter is right handed, left eye dominant. She shoots a handgun great! She shoots right handed but aims with the left eye. I wouldn't want her shooting at me like that. She is a tin can's nightmare out to 30 yards. Rifles.....that is a different story. For rifles, she actually closes the left eye and aims with the right. She says that is easier than learning to shoot a rifle left handed.
    Exactly my experience.

Timmy, just have your son move his gun slightly towards the left, to align the sights onto his dominant eye. He could also tilt his head a little, but there's a tendency to over-do it.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links