My son needs help...

This is a discussion on My son needs help... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My big boy is 5 years old. He is right handed but is left eye dominant (just like his dad). I learned on my own ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My son needs help...

VIP Member

My son needs help...

My big boy is 5 years old. He is right handed but is left eye dominant (just like his dad). I learned on my own to shoot left handed but it's always been a problem to find guns and holsters. I'd rather my boy shoot right handed.

How can I teach him to use the other eye?
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    ????????????

Maybe if you don't get anything positive from here, go ask an opthamologist.

Its definitely a great question.

I'll be checking this thread.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Timmy, practice, practice, practice.......

it will be tough on him at first, but if you only let him shoot right handed and using his right eye, he will eventually 're-learn' dominancy. I have seen it done with adult students, but it makes for a frustrating road. Kids generally are more adaptable than adult learners though. Start him early, dont let him waiver.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

http://www.ehow.com/how_7337138_do-c...ominance_.html

http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2.../skillbuilder/

General consensus from a quick google search seems to be that you can never really entirely change it. But you can wear a patch, or put tape over the lens on shooting glasses of the dominant eye, that will force him to use his non-dominant eye.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Thanks, I was going to use the tape trick. Does anyone here think that I should just teach him to shoot lefty? Keep in mind he is only 5 and I want to encourage him, not sour him to shooting. Kids like what is fun and if I'm pounding him all the time it might turn him off. Would making him a lefty be easier?
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Sorry for any ignorance on my part, but wouldn't it be easier to modify the shooting stance to allow a right handed - left eye down the sights profile?

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    thats what I was just thinking Sleipnir, I shoot with my right hand and aim with my left eye, I learned how to do that all on my own. Its gonna be easier to teach him how to do that than to try to teach him to do something unnatural
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    First, get the kid an eye exam, if you haven't already, from an opthalmologist--- an MD. These issues sometimes have serious causes and consequences and aren't just habit that can be changed by casual stuff. Other times just a minor correction with eye glasses can solve the problem. If an eye patch is required, that recommendation needs to come from an eye care professional. There are clinics which do the rough equivalent of physical therapy, to re-establish eye hand coordination, correct eye dominance, and proper 3D vision. Probably your kid doesn't need something like that but you want to be certain and not miss a chance to fix things.

Now, if this is not something that "needs fixin" per an opthalmologist's opinion (that is, an MD specializing in eye diseases), the kid can shoot lefty or ambidextrous. Just let him do what feels natural. I shoot a rifle lefty, I shoot my .40 pistol lefty, no big deal.

One reason I would definitely get the medical check is that we are about to enter a 3D world with our entertainment systems and who knows what else in the near to mid-range future. If the eye dominance is not well enough balanced to see 3D images comfortably, that will become an issue as more and more of these new displays pop up.

BTW, I had a severe issue with stuff like this which was not discovered until I was in first grade. The sooner something is addressed the greater the chance the kid will have completely normal vision.

You and me both...it is not a big issue with a handgun but with a rifle when i was in the Marine Corps i'd actually have to wear an eye patch on the range because i'm so left eye dominant yet right handed. Use a eye patch and teach him to shoot with his right eye. Eventually he will get used to it. What is bad is like now that i'm older my eyesight is still 20/20 or better in my left eye yet my right eye I can't see as good past the hood ornament of my patrol car especially at night i need glasses to read numbers.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

I'm 21 and one of those few people with one eye near-sighted and one eye far-sighted and both have astigmatism, yet with eyeglasses or contacts focuses to 20/20 in both eyes. I had a lazy left eye when I was younger that was corrected and now that I'm older I use contact lenses with a prescription that will keep my eyesight balanced which is hugely important. It's best to catch anything out of the norm early on as it can usually be corrected!

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Thanks, I was going to use the tape trick. Does anyone here think that I should just teach him to shoot lefty? Keep in mind he is only 5 and I want to encourage him, not sour him to shooting. Kids like what is fun and if I'm pounding him all the time it might turn him off. Would making him a lefty be easier?
    The Marine Corps uses the approach that it is easier to teach them to be a lefty, than to fiddle with the eye dominance. Of course, I don't know if age would play a factor into that at all. And that organization is pretty good at turning people into marksmen.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    The Marine Corps uses the approach that it is easier to teach them to be a lefty, than to fiddle with the eye dominance. Of course, I don't know if age would play a factor into that at all. And that organization is pretty good at turning people into marksmen.
    Age is critical with eye development. Sleipnir put his finger on it in post 10. "It's best to catch anything out of the norm early on as it can usually be corrected!" At 5 some eye glasses to adjust for a minor difference between the two eyes might be all that is needed. By 7-8 it is too late to change things. The brain gets permanently hard wired to ignoring one of the two images and it gets darn hard to retrain it to use both images for correct 3D perception.

Not to sound like a broken record, get the kid to an opthalmologist (eye physician, medical degree) if there is any doubt at all about his situation.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Alrighty, I'm left-handed (mostly) I shot everything ambidextrious when I was young. I 'migrated' to right-handed shooting as a teenager......it was just better 'caus guns are right-handed tools. I'm left-eye dominate. I tried the 'shaded eye-glass thing....no joy. Tried closing the left eye, but lost too much prephial vision when hunting/out in the woods, etc. I eventually just 'trained' myself to use my right eye. I'm still left-eye dominate, but when I pick up a gun, my mind just 'adjusts'.......dunno too much, I think it was a little of everything that I used to train myself.

At 5 years old, just let him go. Show him how and tell him to try with his right eye, but.........he may just be left handed and that'll be the way he shoots. Either way, he'll be out-shooting us both soon enough me thinks.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

My daughter is right handed, left eye dominant. She shoots a handgun great! She shoots right handed but aims with the left eye. I wouldn't want her shooting at me like that. She is a tin can's nightmare out to 30 yards. Rifles.....that is a different story. For rifles, she actually closes the left eye and aims with the right. She says that is easier than learning to shoot a rifle left handed.
    If you can't get out of it, you gotta get into it.

My job requires me to be armed as much of the time as possible. No, I am not an operator or LEO of any kind. I am a husband and father.

Administrator
    Are we talking rifle or pistol?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links