Heritage Rough Rider 22

This is a discussion on Heritage Rough Rider 22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been looking at Heritage Rough Rider 22lR/22mag online at Budsguns.... what do you think of them for backyard plinking? I understand they are no ruger, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heritage Rough Rider 22

Heritage Rough Rider 22

Been looking at Heritage Rough Rider 22lR/22mag online at Budsguns.... what do you think of them for backyard plinking? I understand they are no ruger, but if anyone has first hand experience with them, please post. thanks. Bunker

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    They are junk. We sold plenty of them and had plenty come back for all kinds of repairs. Save your money IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have one - for the fact that for several months I couldn't find a darn .22 pistol anywhere, so that's what I wound up with. Kills raccoons fine.
    Will probably sell the Rough Rider when I find something better. Just don't like it that well, though it's worked fine for me.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I spent two days shooting a buddies Rough Rider along side of my Ruger Single Six and Ruger BearCat. Many bricks of ammo. The Rough Rider ain't no Ruger.
    Things I liked about the Rough Rider. Great trigger. Very accurate.
    Things I disliked about the Rough Rider. Manual hammer block. Fit and finish.
    The manual hammer block alone has kept me from getting a Rough Rider.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I HAD one. Very, very nice in presentation and feel actually. However, MY accuracy with it was horid. It was like the sights were bent or something. I used CCI Mini-Mag (stk. #0030) ammo and had a dificult time holding a 10" group at 30'. I sold it to a guy for $100.00 and he swears by it. Go figure....
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    You get what you pay for. if you want a junk traping gun or a glove compartment gun for a farm truck its not bad.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I have one of the Heritage Big Bores, in .357, the best way to describe it is, well, rough.

It doesn't have the fit and finish even on par with my Uberti Cattleman. I don't really like the hammer mechanism either.

That being said, it hits what I am aiming at, and I haven't had any problems with it. I've shot the .22 version, its pretty much on par with my version.

There are better options out there.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I sometimes wonder if people are serious on these threads. "Hows the Heritage/Raven/HiPoint, etc compare to other guns?"...when you spend $150 on a gun, what do you expect?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I sometimes wonder if people are serious on these threads. "Hows the Heritage/Raven/HiPoint, etc compare to other guns?"...when you spend $150 on a gun, what do you expect?
    I didnt want a comparison, just an honest opinion from those who OWN a heritage... thats all. BTW, i do own a high point and love... I shoot it better than my glock 30

ntg
    I have one. My buddy had one and hated it. Got i for $50! I still feel a little guilty about it. It is a fine weapon for plinking, as you intend. They are reasonably accurate. I think they're worth the money paid. If you want one to pass on to the generations, get something else. My 2 bits.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Been looking at Heritage Rough Rider 22lR/22mag online at Budsguns.... what do you think of them for backyard plinking? I understand they are no ruger, but if anyone has first hand experience with them, please post. thanks. Bunker
    I have one. It is a fun little weapon and I have had no problems with it. Thinking about getting a second one.

I am normally a fan of automatics. Learned on them and like the convenience and performance.
    Having said that, i felt I should at least try a revolver (wheel gun). Saw the RR. Looks nice. A 'cowboy' look. Feels great to hold and .22 is an easy caliber.
    Got the gun no problems. Fires whatever .22 I can get. Never had a problem with it. Fires easily with either hand.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I have both ruger single six and a heritage RR. Ive shot them head to head more than once. They both shoot equally well. they both have nice single action triggers. And they both are long lasting! The RR was new in 1978, The Ruger in 1964. Both have been well shot and both have been refinished. At a full 10 oz less when a long walk is going to happen the Heritage gets the nod.

I have one. Probably my least favorite firearm. Cheap plinker. Almost no real resale value which is probably the reason why I haven't sold it yet.

Then again it is fairly accurate even out to 50 feet. And after 700 rounds not a single issue. But it looks cheap. Not real pretty. And it's not a terribly good training tool for my SD guns. I rarely shoot it anymore.

I have the birds head model, not a bad plinker. great for coons and skunks. I can't say anything bad about it.
    If you want a bad opinion, lets talk about Lorcin .380L. then you have something to talk bad about.
    And I bught that POS the day Clinton signed the brady bill into law.

My 2 cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links