Doctors and guns

This is a discussion on Doctors and guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wouldn't go to my LGS for advice on medical procedures, why would I want to go to a doctor for advice on gun matters?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doctors and guns

VIP Member
    I wouldn't go to my LGS for advice on medical procedures, why would I want to go to a doctor for advice on gun matters?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Never been asked this question. I do think a NOYFB response would be in order.

The Joint Commission, a private organization that certifies hospital and private practices (on a voluntary basis) requires that an intake history include questions about health practices such as wering seat belts, smoking, alcohol, etc. The AAAHC also has health practices questions as a survey item. While they don't specify which questions to ask, the examples often include things that increase risk of accidnets or diseases. Most doctors who care about having their practices evaluated against national standards will follow JCAHO or AAAHC standards. If your doctors practice has not been surveyed and accredited, perhaps you should find one who does care about meeting higher standards...

At my clinic they don't specifically ask about guns in the home. Their version is "Do you feel safe at home?" My reply is "Heck yeah. I have more guns and ammo than any of my neighbors!"
    If you can't get out of it, you gotta get into it.

My job requires me to be armed as much of the time as possible. No, I am not an operator or LEO of any kind. I am a husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My doc felt my gun, said it was the worst case of kidney stones he'd ever found.
    What one? HAHAH sorry couldnt help
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

I get a physical every year and have to do the form every year in preparation. I was very pleased to see that this year they have taken the gun question off the form. Plan on mentioning this to my doc (who is a shooter) how pleased this makes me. Now if I could just get them to take those %^&^$# signs off the door.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    My doc is down to earth he a hunter when he has some time off.He asksabout pistols and revolvers.I just don't like seeing signs at medical facilities saying no firearms period even if you have a permit.
    They were and out of state concern.They won't last long in Maine.I fired and went back to my doctor a different one and told him to send me somewhere else as I don't send my hard earned money at

places that don't support my political views.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    The Joint Commission, a private organization that certifies hospital and private practices (on a voluntary basis) requires that an intake history include questions about health practices such as wering seat belts, smoking, alcohol, etc. The AAAHC also has health practices questions as a survey item. While they don't specify which questions to ask, the examples often include things that increase risk of accidnets or diseases. Most doctors who care about having their practices evaluated against national standards will follow JCAHO or AAAHC standards. If your doctors practice has not been surveyed and accredited, perhaps you should find one who does care about meeting higher standards...
    A high standard to me is making me feel better. That would be giving me a new gun, not asking if I have one.
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    If your doctors practice has not been surveyed and accredited, perhaps you should find one who does care about meeting higher standards...
    I care about finding a doctor that knows the meaning of "MYOFB"

When ANYBODY asks a question that falls into the category of NOYFB I will lie without reservation, doesn't matter if the question is of any importance or not, if they have no need to know they will not get an honest answer. If at a Dr office and they ask about owning guns I will say no, if I have an idea of what answer is proper/correct they will get that, to heck with them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links