Defensive Carry banner

Doctors and guns

2K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  F350 
#1 ·
On the news, a week or so back, they were talking about a lawmaker who wanted to ban doctors from asking patients if they had guns in their home.
I couldn’t imagine a scenario where a doctor would ask me that.

But how about this
:smile:
Me: Hey doc, when shaving, this morning, I noticed this hole in my forehead. And, look at the back a bigger hole!
Doc: Um . . . Yes . . . I see . . . Do you have any guns in your home?
Me: Why yes I do!
Doc: do you keep them locked up in a gun safe?
Me: Why no Doc! They are very well behaved and I generally just give them the run of place! Not like those darn dogs, raising a ruckus over the UPS truck and crapping on the floor, I keep them tied up.

Or

Me: Why yes I do!
Doc: do you and your wife get along?
Me: Normally, but we had a doozy of an argument, yesterday!

Me: Oh, I see where you’re going with this! I’m going right out and getting a gun safe!
Doc: Well, I’m afraid it’s too late for that. I’m required to report gunshot wounds to the authorities. And, they’re going to want to do an autopsy.
:smile:

See less See more
#2 ·
Doctors

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians
per year are

(C) Accidental deaths per physician
is

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of
Health and Human Services.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now think about this:

Guns

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S.

is

(Yes, that's 80 million)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths

per year, all age groups,

is

(C) The number of accidental deaths
per gun owner
is

Statistics courtesy of FBI

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So, statistically, doctors are approximately

9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Remember, 'Guns don't kill people, doctors do.'

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN,

BUT

Almost everyone has at least one doctor.
This means you are over 9,000 times more likely to be killed by a doctor as by a gun owner!!!

Please alert your friends
to this
alarming threat.
We must ban doctors
before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

Out of concern for the public at large,

We withheld the statistics on

lawyers

for fear the shock would cause

people to panic and seek medical attention!

#3 ·
My doctor usually asks what is the latest thing I have bought then we talk guns for a few minutes before continuing with the appointment. We also shoot at the same range and he does have a carry permit..

#4 ·
I have had docs ask me if we have guns in the house as part of the kiddos checkups. It does seem rather irrelavent to the conversation at the time and none of their business.

#5 ·
Actually, this came up for me. I have Kaiser health insurance, and they offer a "health assessment test". I decided I'd take it, see if there were areas I could work on. It asked a bunch of questions i'd consider normal, like what did I eat, how much did I exercise, that sort of thing. And all of a sudden, it started asking me, "Did I own a gun? How many? Did I have trigger locks? did I have a gun safe?"

Made me real nervous, and I eventually stopped answering the survey, but not before I had answered Yes that I owned a gun, a no to the trigger lock.

Then I got the "Assessment" back, and it starts making suggestions for locking my guns up to reduce my "Risk of injury".

It unnerved me a little I'll be honest.

#9 ·
You sir are more polite than am I: my responce is always NOYFB or I just lie because anything other than a NO will be recorded as a YES

#8 ·
See "More Guns Less Crime" Page 10 of the 3erd Edition
this data was for 2006
642 accidental firearms deaths (total adults and children)
13 involved children 4 and under, 18 five to nine year olds
1,305 children died in car crashes
392 died when struck by cars
651 drown
348 killed by fire and burns "Allmost Three times as many children drown in bathtubs each year than die from all types of firearm accidents."

see http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr58/nvsr58_14.pdf Page 7 In 2006 Accidents (unintentional injuries) ranked 5th in causes of death total of: 121,599 or 5.0%

Gun accidents were 0.53% of the accidental deaths in 2006 and 0.026% of all 2,426,264 deaths in 2006.

#10 ·
My doc felt my gun, said it was the worst case of kidney stones he'd ever found.

#11 ·
Wonder why they don't ask about alcohol in the home, or the tread depth on your tires, or how about slippery floors? Any knife in the home? Are all the carpets securely nailed down? Are there any sharp edges on any furniture? Do you ever exceed the posted speed limit? Ec.t, ect., ect.!

#14 ·
I must be lucky. My eye doc carries a LCP. My DC carries a Glock 26, LCP or Bersa 380. My surgeon is ex-military and we've talked about him shooting his Beretta and AR15. I haven't discussed guns with my PCP MD or DDS.

#15 ·
I once got my hand cut in an accident with a taurus .40 needed some stitches so I went to the ER. I got questioned up and down about how it happened and when I said gun the DR. ran over to the phone and called the cops to report a gun accident. I just had to laugh.

#16 ·
I wouldn't go to my LGS for advice on medical procedures, why would I want to go to a doctor for advice on gun matters?

#18 ·
The Joint Commission, a private organization that certifies hospital and private practices (on a voluntary basis) requires that an intake history include questions about health practices such as wering seat belts, smoking, alcohol, etc. The AAAHC also has health practices questions as a survey item. While they don't specify which questions to ask, the examples often include things that increase risk of accidnets or diseases. Most doctors who care about having their practices evaluated against national standards will follow JCAHO or AAAHC standards. If your doctors practice has not been surveyed and accredited, perhaps you should find one who does care about meeting higher standards...

#19 ·
At my clinic they don't specifically ask about guns in the home. Their version is "Do you feel safe at home?" My reply is "Heck yeah. I have more guns and ammo than any of my neighbors!"

#21 ·
I get a physical every year and have to do the form every year in preparation. I was very pleased to see that this year they have taken the gun question off the form. Plan on mentioning this to my doc (who is a shooter) how pleased this makes me. Now if I could just get them to take those %^&^$# signs off the door.

#22 ·
My doc is down to earth he a hunter when he has some time off.He asksabout pistols and revolvers.I just don't like seeing signs at medical facilities saying no firearms period even if you have a permit.
They were and out of state concern.They won't last long in Maine.I fired and went back to my doctor a different one and told him to send me somewhere else as I don't send my hard earned money at

places that don't support my political views.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.