Counterbore My M1 ?

This is a discussion on Counterbore My M1 ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an M1 passed from my father to me. I functions fine and is fun to shoot. Only problem is, the crown. The entire ...

Thread: Counterbore My M1 ?

Counterbore My M1 ?

I have an M1 passed from my father to me. I functions fine and is fun to shoot.
    Only problem is, the crown. The entire 30-06 bullet will fit into the muzzle if you know what I am referring to. By looking at the crown, you can tell that is it wear from a cleaning rod, most likely. Accuracy is not in this rifle. We are talking 15" groups at 100 yards and, you can not even hit paper at 200.
    Question is, do I stand to gain anything by getting the crown re-done by a counterbore? I really do not want to put the money into a new barrel.
    Thanks for replies.
    Last edited by Gibber; February 7th, 2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: add details

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Your question would probably be best answered by a good gunsmith, but in all fairness, it's probably time to rebarrel or retire the grand old dame. The old timer is shot out.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    I would locate a gunsmith with a bore scope and have them examine the condition of the bore. It it still looks to be in decent condition, then it would be worth doing this.

And if not, then you would probably be wasting your money.

Senior Moderator
    Many military rifles were shot little and literally cleaned to death.
    A good counter-bore certainly couldn't hurt,and may improve the accuracy quite bit.

By "good counterbore" I mean doing it right. The counterbore must be concentric to the bore and the end of the counterbore must be properly debbured.

Lots of old military rifles were given new life when counterbored back in the day. As long as the go gage closes properly on the bolt, it should work. I would first check the chamber with gages first, to make sure that it is even worth counterboring.If all is well there, then the counterbore will help. If the gages show that the chamber is too long because it is worn out, then counterboring more than likely wont help much.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Strictly from a cost standpoint it might be cheaper (or very close to even) to rebarrel the rifle. To do the counter-bore job your gunsmith is going to remove the old barrel and then put it on a lathe. Then he's going to cut the bore. Then he's going to reinstall the barrel and check for proper head space.

To rebarrel he's going to remove the old one and install the new one. Then he's going to use a reamer to set the head space. Since gunsmith's charge by the amount of hours a job will take a new barrel might be cheaper (as long as you can find a barrel for a decent price).
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

my grand when i got it was like this... a 30 call bullets would "drop" in the front of the bore....

it olny cost me 160$ to have it re barreled....

it looks like this now..

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Beautiful! I am sooo jealous.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links