Hypothetical trade question

This is a discussion on Hypothetical trade question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First off, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I currently carry a G19, and have carried it for the last ten or so ...

Thread: Hypothetical trade question

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I currently carry a G19, and have carried it for the last ten or so months every day. It has a little tiny bit of holster wear and a dent on the housing of the adj rear sight. What could one get for this, trade wise? A Gen 3 G19, three factory mags, FIST #1A holster...what would you trade it for?

I'm interested in a revolver. I'd like it to be either a Smith or a Colt, but I don't have a lot of experience buying or selling guns. All of my guns aside from this G19 were either gifts from my family or inherited. I bought the Glock because all of my handguns are .22lr and I wanted a centerfire gun for CCW. There's nothing wrong with it, I've put about 1,500 or so rounds through it and shoot it just fine...it's just not what I want.

Anyway, would this be a fair trade for this? A S&W j-frame? A Ruger, either SP or GP? A Colt?

I don't want to take a beating on this, and I don't want to ask too much for it. You all seem like a nice group, so this is the board I thought I'd look to for advice on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I know it would be ideal to just have both. Humor me and pretend that's not in the realm of financial possibility. Thanks again.
    Last edited by WvHiker; February 8th, 2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: forgot something

VIP Member
    PM sent
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't follow used gun prices very closely, but my guess is your gun is worth $390-$450 retail, depending on market demand in your area. There are several sites that will give you a closer idea. If trading it in at a gun store, you'll get less for it (they have to account for markup), whatever you can wheel and deal with the store.

You best option is to sell it outright and put that cash toward the revolver of your choice. You'll find an affordable S&W before you find an affordable Colt. There are many other makes that may suit your needs also.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Your best bet would be to sell it outright. I'm guessing you can get $400-450. for it. If you trade it, you probably won't get more than $300-350. for it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks you guys.

I agree with the above poster - trade in to a dealer value is + or - $350. Out right sale to private individual should be $450 or so. Probably best to sell out right and apply $ towards the revolver you want.

"I'd like it to be either a Smith or a Colt ..."

What is your notion of revolver needs, small and concealable or a larger model for field or range use?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

If you find someone local who has what you want, and he wants the Glock and you are both happy with the trade I would do it and not worry about the value of each gun.... I traded a Charles Dailey O&U for a victory WWII S&W 38.... the 38 was worth a lot more, I was honest but he wanted my shotgun and I wanted the 38............. all said and done we are both happy and still friends.

I'm leaning towards a small, light revolver. I don't feel like I need .357 capability. I like exposed hammers but concede that a shrouded or enclosed hammer would probably be best. I like the SP101, even though it's heavy for it's size. So anywhere between a 642 and SP101; that's the size range I'm looking into. I'd be willing to go slightly larger if it were a .357, but it's not my preference.

You need to look towards a Model 640 or 649, or model 60. Thats after you sell your 19 outright. If I had funds I would take the 19 off your hands LOL I know you dont need .357, so you dont have to use it, bu the 60, 640, and 649 are steel j-frames making them more manageable and youcan use .38 in them all day.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I think I'll just keep my G19 and pick up a .38 later on this spring. They aren't expensive, so I'll just save my pennies for a few months.

Thanks for the responses.

Sponsored Links