Tactical Flashlight while OCing / Holster

This is a discussion on Tactical Flashlight while OCing / Holster within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now that I have my XD I have looked into something else for night time if It ever came down to that situation, Would a ...

Thread: Tactical Flashlight while OCing / Holster

Tactical Flashlight while OCing / Holster

Now that I have my XD I have looked into something else for night time if It ever came down to that situation, Would a tac light have a better advantage then night sights? I can control when I want light and the night sights are always glowing and can be seen from almost anywhere if your gun is in a position exposing them. I welcome reasons on why tac lights or good or why there not. With that being said does anybody know a company that adjusts the holster to carry with a tac light? Im looking for a tac light below 200 dollars (hopefully) and with 220 l at least.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

2. Remove Ads

I carry a flashlight everywhere I go. I also train with using the light/gun on the range when I can.
    I find the holsters that allow carry with a weaponlight attached are a bit large. I have a Bladetech OWB for my 1911s with a light attached, but I rarely use it. I tried IWB carry with a light attached, no where NEAR comfortable. My nightstand 1911 has a X300 attached all the time, as well as my HD carbine. I'm a big fan of weapon mounted lights for home defense. For being out and about...I've found it hard to combime a reasonable level of comfort and concealablity with a mounted light.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    I carry a flashlight everywhere I go. I'm a big fan of weapon mounted lights for home defense. For being out and about...I've found it hard to combime a reasonable level of comfort and concealablity with a mounted light.
    Well said... my experiences exactly.

However, I conceal carry, IWB. If the OP going to open carry, then a good Blade-Tech or equivalent OWB holster should be manageable and comfortable. Once gun-mounted lights became popular with the rank and file (SWAT has been using them for many years) for carry in Class A uniform, many of the plainclothes guys at my old agency bought suitable holsters for use with our "Class C" uniform: 5.11 pants, agency polo shirt, badge on the belt next to the holster, etc.

But trying to carry a pistol with a mounted light IWB... well, some do it, but most who try it give it up.

I had my holster guy build this kydex scabbard for my E1B. It sits just behind the mag pouch on the belt, comfortable and concealed.
    Attached Images

Best bet is to train with the flashlight I carry then?
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Go with a seperate hand-held light, and get proper training on it.

As far as someone being able to see your night sights, do you wear a watch with a luminous dial?

With respect, civilian carry isn't all Ricky Recon, odds are if you are needing to use your weapon, your adversary is going to know where you are if he is in a position where he would see night sights.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

No I don't like watches lol, and I know its not all rr but I consider all possibilities, I will look into shooting with my terralux edc

If a BG in a position to see your night sights, he's already got the jump on you and all the light or night sights in the world won't help you.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    If a BG in a position to see your night sights, he's already got the jump on you and all the light or night sights in the world won't help you.
    I know that's why I wouldn't want them, depends on how dark it would be

Cool

I carry the Surefire executive defender in my off side front pocket using the clip on the light . Takes up no more space than my Cold Steel Voyager. I have a lanyard on the light for tactical pourposes. Light weight and brite light and has aggessive edges on the bezel and endcap.

P19174232.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Brommeland combo holder...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Light illuminates and potentially disorients the target, night sights give you an illuminated sight picture, each is only half of the equation. And you can't use a laser to do both either as it will only give you an index of your sight picture on the target, it's not actually illuminating the target. Night sights will tell you if your gun is aimed on target at the threat at the end of the hallway, it won't tell you if there's an innocent child between you and the target.

As something like 90% of all self defense shootings occur in low light, a good reliable white light is all but mandatory for responsible carry. Night sights would be highly recommended for anything beyond a few yards, and as you can't predict what situation you may be involved in I'd say both are very important.

As for the actual carry of white light, even when OCing the firearm, the flashlight sits in it's own pant pocket; keeping it as one card in my deck I'm not tipping all my cards, but it's by itself so that it's easy to access without having to apply thought or fumble or try to illuminate a room with a spare mag.

I picked up my Blackhawk Gladius Maximus for $149 from LAPG vs the $250MSRP. It's got the strobe that can do a number, momentarily disorienting ontop of just blinding someone when applied in the right manner, and that can buy the one or two seconds that may give you the chance to remove yourself from a situation or escalate it giving you the upper hand. I have looked at more basic control less optioned surfire lights that are reported to be a little brighter that would provide the more frequently used solid white light. Tailcap control seems to work best for most light+gun grips, momentary on off is a must, and look for a minimum of 100lumens; after those the rest really does boil down to being options.

Glock Certified Armorer

Links