Ninety percent? Really?

This is a discussion on Ninety percent? Really? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We've all heard the claim by many major news outlets that 90% of the Mexican drug cartel guns come from US gun stores. Ever wonder ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ninety percent? Really?

Ninety percent? Really?

We've all heard the claim by many major news outlets that 90% of the Mexican drug cartel guns come from US gun stores. Ever wonder (a) if it is true and (b) what is the source for that info?

Keep an eye on "Project Gun Walker." The truth is slowly leaking out, that BATF&E not only lied, but in fact BATF&E agents were the real cross-border smugglers, in order to be able to pad their stats. Trouble is, one of the BATF&E guns was later used to kill a Border Patrol Agent.

Here are some pull quotes from "A journalist's guide to 'Project Gunwalker"
    http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...ject-gunwalker

"ATF management was allowing potentially hundreds of semiautomatic firearms to be walked across the Mexican border in order to pad statistics used to further budget and power objectives."

"Mexican authorities were kept in the dark, and protests that they should be informed were overridden, first by the Phoenix ATF office, and ultimately by higher-ups in Washington, DC."

"A gun used in this operation was involved in a December 2010 incident in which a Border Patrol agent was killed."

Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

2. Remove Ads

I have no doubt that 90 percent of the guns that they can TRACE come from the US. I would venture a guess however that those guns are a small overall portion of the gun's used by the cartels.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I have no doubt that 90 percent of the guns that they can TRACE come from the US.
    What they don't mention is that most are military-grade, made in the US, and sold by our gov't to the Mexican army. They were then sold to, or stolen by, the cartels.

But yes, they did originate in the US.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    The balance of the weapons have been traced to China via Venezuela.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I have no doubt that 90 percent of the guns that they can TRACE come from the US. I would venture a guess however that those guns are a small overall portion of the gun's used by the cartels.
    IIRC, I heard it was around 17% of the total that they could trace. So 90% of 17%, somewhere in the 15% range. I could be wrong though.

Figures lie and liars figure.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

You just catching up to this ? That's not what they say.... they say "90% of the guns THAT CAN BE TRACED" are from the United States.

To help you out, only 6% of the guns seized, can be traced. Most of those, are guns ID'd as guns that were provided to Mexico's military.

That's how they twist statistics for their cause.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Think about it. Why would drug cartels, with more money available than the GDP of about 100 nations, bother finding straw buyers and buying guns a few at a time in the US when full-auto weapons are available wholesale via South America through international arms traffickers? Not to mention the cases of hand grenades. Doesn't add up.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Stratfor.com feb 10
    http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20110...0-percent-myth

"Mexico's Gun Supply and the 90 Percent Myth is republished with permission of STRATFOR."

Read more: Mexico's Gun Supply and the 90 Percent Myth | STRATFOR
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

Administrator
    They called that the...RIVER OF IRON flowing from the U.S. into Mexico. Too bad that it turned out to be more like a TRICKLE OF IRON.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    "90% of the guns THAT CAN BE TRACED" are from the United States.

To help you out, only 6% of the guns seized, can be traced. Most of those, are guns ID'd as guns that were provided to Mexico's military.

That's how they twist statistics for their cause.
    Mathematically, this means that 95% of guns seized can not be traced to the U.S.

BTW, sign the petition to abolish the BATF.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I have been following this story for weeks now. I believe that the guns were in fact allowed to walk to Mexico so that they would be recovered at crime scenes and traced back to US gun shops so that the Obama admin could place further restrictions on our 2A rights.

If anyone didn't catch it, today Barry had a press conference with the Mexican President and at one point he said he intends to restrict gun purchases in this country as much as possible. Way to Protect and defend the Constitution Barry.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    We will never know.There is very little truth in the news.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    We will never know.There is very little truth in the news.
    Honestly, I'm surprised with how much air time this ATF issue is getting. Pleasantly surprised. I figure it would get swept under the rug with all the other dirt that might make the administration look bad. Now the question is, does anything really happen.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    We've all heard the claim by many major news outlets that 90% of the Mexican drug cartel guns come from US gun stores. Ever wonder (a) if it is true and (b) what is the source for that info?....
    The source is an inaccurate media.

Here's another source:

The Myth of 90 Percent: Only a Small Fraction of Guns in Mexico Come From U.S. - FoxNews.com

As someone said, it's closer to 17%. The other 83% come from untraceable sources.

I love my country, but more and more I trust my government less and less.

gdhs_2099_13118064.jpeg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links