who cranks on their scope when hunting?

This is a discussion on who cranks on their scope when hunting? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have not had any use for scopes since my military service. Most of my hunting is with open sighted handguns, prefer to keep all ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: who cranks on their scope when hunting?

I have not had any use for scopes since my military service. Most of my hunting is with open sighted handguns, prefer to keep all shots under 100 yards. For me the challenge is using my aquired skills to get as close to the animal as possible, when I can see the moisture on the nostrils or the eyelashes, that gets my blood pumping.

Despite the efforts of stealth, sometimes mother nature has other plans, and you have to take a shot a little farther off. Using a rifle almost feels like cheating anymore. If I lived somewhere that had shots over 200-250 yards, I would probably go for a good fixed power scope of low magnification.

Squirrel hunting with open sights in the early fall trains your eye and keeps you sharp. The little critters don't sit still for long, and when you can connect on them you are ready for the big critters. In the real hunting world, you don't have time very often for dope adjusments on a scope.

2. Remove Ads

"normal" hunting ranges, no.... but my longest kill last summer was 882 yards, so, yes i do a lot of cranking

my vids

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...010+russr&aq=f

Most of my shots are under 50 yrds. I usually keep the scope on 4x and leave it. On the rare occasion I have taken a shot to 100yrds, I just crank up the magnification. I prefer scopes, my eyesight is terrible.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I set my scopes and leave them alone. I have played around shooting the square just to see if I could trust my scopes if I ever did adjust windage or elavation for shots, but I don't do it hunting.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I don't adjust while hunting, I use holdover to compensate for elevation & windage.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

I hit one with my car one time; no scope, no sights, no intent, and a cup of hot coffee in the lap.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    I hit one with my car one time; no scope, no sights, no intent, and a cup of hot coffee in the lap.
    I guess that would fall in the category of 'point shooting'?

In all seriousness, the last deer my Grandaddy got was actually a 'point shot'. For the last 20 years he carried his rifle in the woods to go 'hunting', but he really just liked being in the woods and didn't want to have to drag out a deer. I think he pretty much had them all named. One day, one startled him and he shot it out of reflex. Not bad for a man in his nineties at the time. Fortunately my cousin was nearby to drag it out for him.

any good hunter who shoots long distance should have range cards imho

My large game rifles are all sighted in using MPBR. The only rifle I will adjust in the field is a 6.5-284 I use for varmints (ground hogs and coyotes)

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I guess that would fall in the category of 'point shooting'?

In all seriousness, the last deer my Grandaddy got was actually a 'point shot'. For the last 20 years he carried his rifle in the woods to go 'hunting', but he really just liked being in the woods and didn't want to have to drag out a deer. I think he pretty much had them all named. One day, one startled him and he shot it out of reflex. Not bad for a man in his nineties at the time. Fortunately my cousin was nearby to drag it out for him.

Lol, I know the feeling but my grandfather still shoots them when he sees them. I don't think he has field dressed or drug a deer out in a good 10-12 years though. At this point we prefer him just to call us if he gets one.

Nope my gun is sighted dead on at 100 yards, any further I will not shoot. Touching the dials is too much for me to do in the field.
    One more step and it's on!

Thanks all.

It's pretty clear that as hunters, leaving aside the very-long range shots, we know where our zero is and our round's ballistics. Frankly, I couldn't imagine dicking around with scope knobs when it's 18 degrees out and the deer is walking at the edge of the cornfield 200 yards away... it's hunting, not sniping, and we won't get shot at if we miss!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links