Gander Mountain Academy - Page 2

Gander Mountain Academy

This is a discussion on Gander Mountain Academy within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been to the W. Palm Beach GM a couple of times. Some of the prices have been a teensy-weensy bit high, bordering on the rediculous. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gander Mountain Academy

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Been to the W. Palm Beach GM a couple of times. Some of the prices have been a teensy-weensy bit high, bordering on the rediculous. Others not so bad. You've got to shop around for a bargain these days. I still avor BPS over GM, but it's a long haul to get there.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    One nice thing is that you can reserve / pay for the range time slot you want online ahead of time, so you don't have to worry about waiting when you get there.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Went up this morning to put some ammo though my brand-spanking-new Glock 19.

The live fire range is very nice. The air handling system is relatively quiet, but it really gets the job done. The target carriers are programmable and can turn to face front or back as well as sideways. Played with it a bit having it go out to 21 feet and turn sideways, then turn facing for a second or two and then turn back. Pretty cool.

They supply the targets, and have a nice variety, all of which are mounted on coroplast backers so they stay flat while moving.

Next up - doing some simulator time. Can't wait for that.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Why? So that the small gun shops can increase their prices and no one will complain? Gander Mountain sells guns for $100 more than they should cost. We call it Gouge Mountain.
    We don't have Gander Mt. in Omaha but a few weeks ago while in Davenport, Iowa I visited one, and though the range sounds cool, the regular store I visited was way overpriced on the guns and ammo I looked at.

I would like to get this thread back on track. Honestly I would like to hear about the Academy when there is an AAR
    Last edited by Chris Dawg; February 16th, 2011 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gunshrink View Post
    All well and good if you are one of the lucky FEW who live near the "academy" - then there is the rest of us. They have pulled 70% of the gun smiths from their stores, as one other said have the most expensive guns around and took any other instructors ability to advertise or teach in their store, saying that it would cost $50 per person to use their room - even though those participants spent several hundred dollars per class in the store each time. They are usually forbidden to support local events and even though they say they will match prices of othrs, it is on their terms and not a real match. I like the local connection but it sure is hard to support them. Don't get me wrong, most of the local folks are fine to great and are simply doing what some corporate wonk told them they have to do but a customer can take just so much. But the good news is will help some of the smaller players and those that can go to Florida will go and play. I see that one of their locations is near me and yes, might go and try it out but that still does not replace the attitude brought forth from the local stores.
    I guess I'm not sure what you're saying here. You will have an Acadamy 70mi away and a Cabela's less than 50mi. I'd say that's more than most folks have.

As for myself, I've bought from Cabela's and mom and pops and it all depends on who can swing the best deal at the time. I've had satisfaction from both.

The new GM/Academy sounds nice. And these big outfits bring hunting and firearms out into the mainstream and that can only be good for our rights. There's strength in numbers and with big business on our side can only be a good thing as well.

Senior Moderator
    The wifester and I have some simulator time booked this morning. I'll do a full write-up when I get back today.

Matt

Senior Moderator
    We went and spent an hour on the 180 degree virtual range this morning.

In a word - wow!

This is extraordinarily cool.

The virtual pistol is a converted actual Glock 22, with a laser in the barrel and a CO2 cartridge in the magazine well that powers the slide. The trigger is an actual Glock trigger system, and it truly feels like a stock Glock trigger with a tactile reset.

The virtual range has a number of different modes. There are marksmanship stages (pepper poppers, IDPA-esque stages, and fixed targets that appear and disappear at different times). There are also realistic defensive drills and also defensive scenarios.

The defensive drills are Hogan's Alley type affairs, with individuals coming out of hallways and doors where you need to evaluate their actions and react accordingly. The staff encourage you to communicate, move and shoot as though this were a real-world defensive encounter. As I write this, my voice is actually a bit hoarse from all the yelling.

The defensive scenarios are more dynamic. For instance, you're in a convenience store and two men enter. One goes to the back of the store, and the other goes to the clerk and asks about an item, then draws and shoots. There are different variations - sometimes the second man is a bystander and other times he is an armed accomplice. There's a Tueller-esqe situation with a man in a parking lot armed with a knife. Sometimes he responds to commands, and other times he brings the knife to the gunfight.

I don't want to spoil the scenarios, so I am not going to describe the variants or the other stages.

After the time in the bay is up, there is a debrief in another room, where you can see where your shots hit, along with the times for each shot - and a picture of you at the moment you broke the shot. Great for looking to see how your stance is when your shooting under a bit of artificial stress. The pictures aren't good enough to really evaluate the grip (since the image is shot from a bit above the center panel).

Overall, I thought this was a great experience, and an opportunity to put the full communicate - move - shoot tool chest into play in a way you don't get a chance to do on most ranges.

This is definitely something we'll be doing again. Next up - the 300 degree screen bay.

The staff there says things are getting pretty busy evenings and weekends, so make sure you go to the website and book your time beforehand.

Matt

Matt did a great job explaining the experience.

So far I've done the V-range twice (Lakeville, MN opened 7/11/11) it's only 1 1/2 miles from my house. You can cycle through and pick your targets set the range distance. It has a zoom feature so you can see your groupings hit zoom again and it goes back to where it was. You can even email yourself the target. You can clear the target at any time.

The V-range also has some course work selections where it gives you instructions like three to the body one to the head the target goes out to distance and turns to you then away and sets up for next round, some are timed and they move all the way out to 50 yards.

Holster work is allowed in the v-range too. I've done some left hand shooting too - great way to become proficient with weak hand.

Being so close I am waiting to see if they sell a range package. I am also hoping they add other guns like like an XD or a 1911 frame to the list but I heard that is controlled by which mfg. will invest in the conversion required. Both Glock and Beretta made the jump but that makes sense they are the big sellers to law enforcement/military.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I have an Army buddy who's working as an instructor at the La Crosse, Wisconsin, one. I'm terribly jealous.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

My firearms academy uses the training lodge at a local Gander Mountain and I work a few hours per week behind the gun counter. I am not a member of management and have no investment in Gander Mountain other than the few hours I work.

I haven't actually been to a Gander Mountain Academy but I've seen an extensive amount of advertising literature and videos and I must admit it looks incredible. While we don't have one at our local store (Twinsburg, Ohio), Three Tango uses a "lite" version of the VR training (iSniper) and our students love it! It's not 300-degree with surround sound but it does a good job. I believe strongly in this type of training, especially for people new to shooting as they can work on basics (finger off the trigger, sight alignment, etc.) before actual live fire. It's also great for experienced shooters as they can work through tactical scenarios and really hone their skills quickly. Scenario work is vital for concealed carry citizens.

Gander Mountain is really working hard to be a leader in both firearm sales and training. Yes, sometimes their prices are a little high but they really are committed to customer service. I can honestly say they are not in the business to gouge customers and if prices are out of line ask to speak with the department manager and/or store manager. I'm not making an official statement for Gander Mountain but in our store we will match local competitors prices with no problem.

Remember, each store is only a reflection of their in-store leadership.
    Bill Holcomb
    Owner/Chief Instructor
    Three Tango Firearms Academy
    www.threetango.com

VIP Member
    the more ranges the merrier! and that one along with the simulator sounds very cool

I go to our local GM to get ammo sometimes, camping supplies, gun case here and there, accessories, etc, and look at a BUNCH of guns....but have yet to buy one there.
    I can find the same gun at a local shop or at Academy and its always way cheaper, AND I get a LE discount. GM doesn't give discounts.

I would think they would do more gun business if they realized almost everything they have is $100-$150 higher than everywhere else in town.
    I've purchased here at the gun show, Academy, Big5, and Walmart, but not Gander.
    threetango, I may try your price matching suggestion next time I'm seriously shopping, they do have the Henry .357 lever action I want
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links