Gander Mountain Academy

This is a discussion on Gander Mountain Academy within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Had a chance to tour the new Gander Mountain Academy in Lake Mary, FL today. https://academy.gandermountain.com/ They are going to be opening three more in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gander Mountain Academy

Senior Moderator

Gander Mountain Academy

Had a chance to tour the new Gander Mountain Academy in Lake Mary, FL today. https://academy.gandermountain.com/

They are going to be opening three more in various states this year.

The facility is just amazing. There is a live fire range (8 lanes) that can handle up to .300 WinMag, with high-flow air recirculation and AC, with nice electronic target handlers and fully bulletproof partitions between the bays.

But to me the most interesting feature is the simulators. They have electronic simulators that emulate a traditional square range (with a variety of target types), and 180 degree and 300 degree action stage simulators.

For the simulators, they use CO2 / laser "firearms" which feature reciprocating slides on the pistols (they currently have Glock 22, Beretta 92, shotgun and M4 carbine simulator guns, with more coming in). The simulator guns are converted real firearms.

For $40, you get a half an hour on the virtual range, with all the "ammo" you can shoot. Personally, I've been known to shoot a lot more than $40 in real ammo in 30 minutes.

For $75, you can purchase a half an hour on the 300 degree simulator with an instructor, doing scenarios like a convenience store robbery, etc. Following the shooting time you do a debrief with the instructor and the video system, showing when you fired and where the rounds impacted.

I'm looking forward to going up there to do some live fire and simulator shooting, and I'll post some feedback afterwards.

Matt
    QKShooter likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

2. Remove Ads

Very nice. Wish we could get a Gander Mountain in the Atlanta area.

I've heard my local GM is getting a range. Haven't heard any specifics, assumed it would be "standard" indoor range. What's the standard type range rules/fees/costs/etc. at Gander?

Sounds like fun!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    Very nice. Wish we could get a Gander Mountain in the Atlanta area.
    Why? So that the small gun shops can increase their prices and no one will complain? Gander Mountain sells guns for $100 more than they should cost. We call it Gouge Mountain.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Why? So that the small gun shops can increase their prices and no one will complain? Gander Mountain sells guns for $100 more than they should cost. We call it Gouge Mountain.
    +1.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

All well and good if you are one of the lucky FEW who live near the "academy" - then there is the rest of us. They have pulled 70% of the gun smiths from their stores, as one other said have the most expensive guns around and took any other instructors ability to advertise or teach in their store, saying that it would cost $50 per person to use their room - even though those participants spent several hundred dollars per class in the store each time. They are usually forbidden to support local events and even though they say they will match prices of othrs, it is on their terms and not a real match. I like the local connection but it sure is hard to support them. Don't get me wrong, most of the local folks are fine to great and are simply doing what some corporate wonk told them they have to do but a customer can take just so much. But the good news is will help some of the smaller players and those that can go to Florida will go and play. I see that one of their locations is near me and yes, might go and try it out but that still does not replace the attitude brought forth from the local stores.
    Last edited by gunshrink; February 12th, 2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: I dudnt spel gud
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    No, so we will have an alternative to Bass Pro.

Competition is usually a good thing. That Gander Mountain will charge more, to that I can't speak. Small gun shops can increase or decrease prices as they see fit based on competition and what prices the market will bear.

Sorry you and dsee11789 don't like them. So far I've bought everything I have from my local Mom & Pop LGS but I still like looking around and comparing prices.

I see that this Gander Mtn. is less than 2 hours away. My son and his family are coming down from IN this summer...I think we may go try it out.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Gander Mountain is really nice for window shopping/browsing......I find what I want a GM then purchase elsewhere.
    Molon Labe

The Gander Mountain I know of was highly loved by the local shops and ranges. The GM created the interest, then the buyers went to the locals. It also increased range traffic with increased ownership of guns, and the smart range worked hard at getting the CHL referrals. A good situation all around.

Competition is usually a good thing.................... Small gun shops can increase or decrease prices as they see fit based on competition and what prices the market will bear..............So far I've bought everything I have from my local shops but I still like looking around and comparing prices.
    That describes me in a prior life, and I still agree.

The Range and the "Academy" sound great - especially if you could also take an instructor!!!!!! The Simulators could be fantastic for an old fella like me that can go during the week. Have fun!!!!!!!!

We'll expect an after-action report, Matt.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    No, so we will have an alternative to Bass Pro.

Competition is usually a good thing. That Gander Mountain will charge more, to that I can't speak. Small gun shops can increase or decrease prices as they see fit based on competition and what prices the market will bear.

Sorry you and dsee11789 don't like them. So far I've bought everything I have from my local Mom & Pop LGS but I still like looking around and comparing prices.
    Competition is a good thing, yes. If a local sells a Glock 17 for $489 then Gander Moves in and sells the same gun for $589, then it's nothing at all for the local shops to then increase their prices to $499. That's hardly competition. If there is a Bass Pro in the area and Gander moves in, then maybe Bass Pro has to compete. But based on Gander's prices here, it wouldn't be hard.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Competition is a good thing, yes. If a local sells a Glock 17 for $489 then Gander Moves in and sells the same gun for $589, then it's nothing at all for the local shops to then increase their prices to $499. That's hardly competition. If there is a Bass Pro in the area and Gander moves in, then maybe Bass Pro has to compete. But based on Gander's prices here, it wouldn't be hard.
    I think the internet and internet sellers and buyers have eliminated much of the slack in the system to some extent. I don't know of any local stores fat from thick margins spending on new cars and the like. I know what a fair price is and will pay it. There's enough business around, and enough sellers around my neck of the woods (which is a much smaller market than yours' BTW, if your supports a GM), that I am fairly treated. I am out in the sticks and the closet BPS is 3 hours away, the closet Cabela's is 5 hours away, I have no idea where the closet GM is. Competition is competition, big or small. Vote with your feet.

Gander's ad in todays paper had decent priced guns from what I can tell.

Sig Sub 250 for 399, Sig 238 with laser for 599, Glock 19c or 17c for 529, XD or XD compact 9 or 40 for 499, SR9C 449, XDM 45 for 599 and plenty of other sale items.

I don't usually buy guns from Gander, but to say that they are way out of the ballpark is a stretch if you watch the sale papers.

I am certainly glad we have a Gander here, I do try to buy some stuff there, usually cloths when on sale, just because I think competition is good, and I don't want them to fold.

The Gander Academy certainly sounds like it would be worth visiting.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    That's cool. Too bad they don't have it for the Gander Mountain in the Central VA area. Before I moved back to Hamptom Rds, I went there once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links