Pf9 slide release lever, very hard to push

This is a discussion on Pf9 slide release lever, very hard to push within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've shot about 300 rounds through my pistol, and this dang slide release lever is still stiff as it was the first day! I cant ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Pf9 slide release lever, very hard to push

I've shot about 300 rounds through my pistol, and this dang slide release lever is still stiff as it was the first day! I cant even manipulate it with two thumbs! Only way to work it is if I use a table edge to push it. For now I just manually release the slide (I'm a lefty, so during speed reloads I can't even manipulate it) but I'd like to get it to work!

Any tips? A spot i can lube extra or polish maybe?

Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    It's a slide stop, not a slide release. Release the slide with the slide, not by pressing on the slide stop. It solves a lot of problems.
    BugDude and Mike1956 like this.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    It's a slide stop, not a slide release. Release the slide with the slide, not by pressing on the slide stop. It solves a lot of problems.
    +1

You'll find it easier under stress as well. Especially being a lefty.

Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

I knew someone would come and correct me. It can be called both. What happens when you push on it? The slide releases from the open position. (on my other guns at least lol)

Anyways, I call it both. :)

I shoot under stress well. I would just like the button to work. That's all.

Heck, my issue with this weapon (other than it not working some of the time) is the assembly pin not coming out when pulled. I use a multi-tool just to pry it out - leaving scratches, etc. Sorry you are having issues with the slide stop/release.

I haven'thad problems with that so far thank god.

Shoots ok. I need to get the trgger worked on to smooth it out, but besides that its a god gun.

Kicks lik a mule tho. Won't be a problm when I'm hooting a bg tho :-)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Well, you can call a monkey "an elephant" but that doesn't make it so. Make a habit of gripping the slide, pulling it back, and releasing it. As far as I recall, it works on all models of autoloaders. Many don't have slide stops. That's all.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Well, you can call a monkey "an elephant" but that doesn't make it so. Make a habit of gripping the slide, pulling it back, and releasing it. As far as I recall, it works on all models of autoloaders. Many don't have slide stops. That's all.
    That sums it up.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Slide stop, release, catch, etc, called different things by different manufacturers.

Whatever name you choose to call it , it would seem that it should function, as the manufacturer recommends its use in the disassembly of the weapon as per the instruction manual.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Does it work as the manual suggests? The manual says to push it up. That's the reason there is a button. To manually lock the slide back. Not to release it.

KelTec calls it a slide stop.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Here's what the manual says.

"Unload your pistol. Pull the slide back and push up on the slide stop until the slide is locked open. Using the rim of a case, pull the assembly pin from the pistol. While holding the slide, release the slide stop allowing the slide to slowly move forward, off the frame. Remove the recoil spring and barrel. No further disassembly is recommended. Do not loosen the extractor spring screw."

That would indicate to me that the slide stop is what is used to release the slide for disassembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Here's what the manual says.

"Unload your pistol. Pull the slide back and push up on the slide stop until the slide is locked open. Using the rim of a case, pull the assembly pin from the pistol. While holding the slide, release the slide stop allowing the slide to slowly move forward, off the frame. Remove the recoil spring and barrel. No further disassembly is recommended. Do not loosen the extractor spring screw."

That would indicate to me that the slide stop is what is used to release the slide for disassembly.
    By holding the slide you are removing tension on the slide stop. Ala slingshot method.

I would disagree, holding (indicating no movement merely maintaining its position) without movement to the rear will not remove tension or release the slide stop and is not a slingshot.

And if you will continue to read further on that page. (#13 in the manual I'm reading.) You will see that during the reassembly the directions say.......

...Pull the Slide back a little to release the slide stop and release the slide...
    I don't know why they say that during the reassembly section and not during the disassembly.

It has nothing specifically to do with the reassembly, the gun is already back together at this point. I can only conclude from this that they want you to Pull the Slide back a little to release the slide stop and release the slide. They call their version a slide stop and not a release for a reason.

The Highlighting is my doing.

Interesting lack of consistency.
    dukalmighty likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links