Defensive Carry banner

"Gun with 3 safeties" blamed for inability to shoot home invader

4K views 31 replies 30 participants last post by  ccw9mm 
#1 ·
#32 ·
Merely owning a gun, does not make one a gunfighter.
And being well-trained (a "gunfighter"?) doesn't guarantee that mechanical external safeties will be disengaged in such a moment of crushing pressure as people can experience when under violent, murderous attack. Some people's chemical dumps overwhelm their abilities to deal with the motor skills to manipulate the gun. This is one of several such incidents I have heard of involving a civilian. There have been incidents in which police officers fire their guns empty and don't even realize they're empty. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if some incidents have occurred in which an officer, soldier or other well-trained person got caught in much the same situation of failure to disengage safeties blocking the operation of the gun. Which of course is why we train, hopefully to avoid this and all other impediments in the heat of such moments.

#3 ·
If you look at the photos that go with this news article, you will see that the murderer had used a Ruger pistol to kill her husband.

No indication, though, as to what the husband had kept in the house for their protection. I would suspect that I would have to be some type of handgun with a manual safety on it.

#4 ·
While I'm not a fan of safeties, it's not the gun's fault.

#8 ·
That mindset of "I'll figure it out when and IF I need it" is way too common and I see it alot.

It's part of the "we want it now" mentality that is prevalent in todays society.

As for the title of the article, it's not suprising in this day and age of no personal responsibility.
She hated guns and likely never messed with it...until she needed it. She also said she just "gave up".Bad,bad mindset.
Now she can cry her life away and blame it on the evil gun that wouldn't work when she needed it.

#9 ·
While I am sorry for her loss and her inability to achieve a reckoning, her hatred of guns very possibly caused her unfamilairity and inability to operate the weapon.
Unless some other facts come to light, its very simple, operator error.

#15 ·
While I am sorry for her loss and her inability to achieve a reckoning, her hate of guns very possibly caused her unfamilairity and inability to operate the weapon.
This.

- : |

#10 ·
Yeah this lady was a fool and I feel bad for her. Despite her irresponsibility in learning to properly use the firearm, she and her husband don't deserve such a tragedy. Of course, this is why I have a loaded 686 set aside for my wife to use in case of a home invasion. I'm sure that would go off just fine, all 7 times...

#12 ·
They struggled for the gun, the BG may have pushed the slide back just enough it wouldn't shoot when he got a hand on it. A manaul safety or decocker would be my other guess.

#26 ·
According to the Virginia Citizens' Defense League President, Philip Van Cleave, the gun was a 1911-style gun...but it wasn't the safeties that were the problem (typical news reporters ignorance)...the gun was out of battery after the BG got his hand on it....

Eagleks wins....(from 14 Feb)

#14 ·
Her own fault for not knowing how to use it. The only safety on my pistol is my finger and my brain. The wife knows how to shoot, but if she didn't, she could still pick it up and hit the bang switch without having to know anything.

#16 ·
Sorry for her loss, but the blame for the gun not working is both hers and her husbands. Her for her hatred of guns, and her husbands for not insisting she at least have enough knowledge of how to use it if needed. Knowledge of the operation would not have changed the outcome for her husband, since he had already been shot before she ever got hold of the gun.

#18 ·
I wonder if she even knew it was loaded?? It may have had a mag in it, but there wasn't a round in the chamber?

#19 ·
This is why my concealed house guns are DA revolvers or DA/SA auto pistols---in the heat of "battle"---in the dark---under bad conditions, I want a pistol that can fire with both right and left hands without messing with safetys---the Kahr type DA only or a DA revolver can be used by both myself or the wife---remember, these are hidden in my house, the bad guys don't know where they are---also my dogs would sound a warning.

#20 ·
This is another one of the reasons I don't own any carry weapon with manual safety.

While one could argure that practice could have saved her husbands life, so could a simpler weapon.

IE: Revolver or pistol with no safety. (Glock, XD, Keltec, etc)

And also as aforementioned-IF THERES GUNS IN THE HOUSE, MAKE SURE THOSE WITH ACCESS CAN WORK THEM. When my wife and I were just dating and got pretty serious, right before she moved in. We sat down, and I showed her the location of every firearm. The ammo for each, how to tell/know which ammo for each. And extensively how to work each one.

#22 ·
Even if she could have got the gun to fire does not mean she could have hit anybody she was shooting at,I have seen people miss an entire silhouette target within 10 feet under conditions that aren't stressful and traumatic

#30 ·
A lot of things went wrong.

He didn't bring the gun with him. He didn't train the adults in his home. She didn't know how to operate the gun. She gave up.

I feel sorry for the family.

I feel sorry for the next family it happens to cause no matter how many of these stories come around, the haters of guns will still be haters of guns and won't touch one until there life is in jeapordy and need a gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.