thompson g2 contender

This is a discussion on thompson g2 contender within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was thinking about getting one of these with a 30-30 and a 17hmr for hunting. How are opionions on this gun....

Thread: thompson g2 contender

thompson g2 contender

I was thinking about getting one of these with a 30-30 and a 17hmr for hunting. How are opionions on this gun.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have one of the first generation Contenders with seven barrels. Extremely accurate and fun to shoot, I don’t have a 30-30 barrel but the 30 Herret will consistently group 2 inches at 100 yards using a scope and benchrest. Gun is over 30 years old and still locks up tight with any barrel and has never had any problems.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I had the 14" barrels in .223 and .30 Herritt. One heck of a handgun! I rocked a few rockchucks at 200 yds+ with the .223. I never got to use the Herritt on big game, but it was awesome. It really turned heads at the range.

The Herritt calibers (.30 & .35) came about because the .30-30 wasted so much powder in the 10 & 14" barrels. It just wasn't efficient. The Herritts were shortened 30-30 cases and highly efficient. Very potent! The 30-30 might have performed better with handload using faster powders, but I never attempted it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plotdog99 View Post
    I was thinking about getting one of these with a 30-30 and a 17hmr for hunting. How are opionions on this gun.

A barrel in 6.8 Remington would make a nice larger game cartridge in one of these handguns.

Have you considered getting an Encore instead? Your caliber selection options would be more extensive.

I've never owned a Contender but have shot a number of them through the years. Two different friends have Contenders and one favors the .30 Herrett and one the 7mm TCU. Both are extremely impressive rounds when fired from a Contender.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Also, you can load pointed or tipped modern bulets in .30-30s for the Contender. It opens up more options. I have an older TC in .30-30 and .223, and looking for a .22, .44 and or .45 for a suppressor project.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I used to shoot metallic silhouettes (sp?) in IHMSA matches with a Contender in 7TCU. Very accurate out to and beyond 200 meters. I use to be able to consistently hit the shoot off targets which were .22 chickens and pigs--an area about 3" x 4" at 100 meters and 200 meters. And that is with iron sights, before the old eyes gave out. The gun is VERY accurate with proper handloads!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Links