Shot Ruger SP101 Horribly at Range

This is a discussion on Shot Ruger SP101 Horribly at Range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've only put 150 rounds or so through this little 2.25 Ruger. Man! everything went high. I tried double and single action, same thing. My ...

Thread: Shot Ruger SP101 Horribly at Range

I've only put 150 rounds or so through this little 2.25 Ruger. Man! everything went high. I tried double and single action, same thing. My buddy picked it up and three right outside center target. What the heck? why do I suck with this revolver?

Try dry firing it a bit, first.

Do it 5 or 10 times, make sure that the muzzle doesn't move, then try it live.

Another trick, is to have a buddy load the cylinder, but leave a couple empty. Then when you're firing, and unexpectedly land on an empty cylinder, whatever you're doing wrong will show up.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Very cool idea thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Try dry firing it a bit, first.

Do it 5 or 10 times, make sure that the muzzle doesn't move, then try it live.

Another trick, is to have a buddy load the cylinder, but leave a couple empty. Then when you're firing, and unexpectedly land on an empty cylinder, whatever you're doing wrong will show up.

What should I work on while dry firing?

Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    What should I work on while dry firing?
    The fundamentals.

What everyone does, or _should_, work on when doing dry fire practice.

Grip
    Sight Alignment
    Trigger Press
    Follow Through...In that order.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

thanks

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    It's called trigger control.There's a target on one of the shooting websights that shows you what you are doing wrong according to where your bullet hits.

You are probably "heeling" the gun where you are anticipating the recoil in advance and pushing into it with bottom heel of your hand on grip, causing round to go high, although I have seen some sights that were just terrible and it could be your sight picture and how you are aligning them up.
    Follow Zacci's advice and try these first-lots of dry-fire practice will help. KEEP BOTH EYES OPEN-always wear eye protection. Only long range target pistoleers use one eye closed and they usually use a peep aparature device built into a set of glasses or a clip-ons.
    With both eyes open, dry-firing you will be able to see the side of that gun if it's moving (ex: if you're right eye dominant and sighting along with that eye, the left will follow along side the gun and barrel, thus seeing any wobble).
    If you started out with the .357 rnds and are not used to them-you may be flinching from the anticipated explosion of gun going off, try some liight-loaded factory .38 Special for a while, IN CLOSE-3yrds- move target out and try keeping your accuracy to center 10X. Start in close again with that .357 ammo after comfortable and move out as you progress. Seeing them holes appear in the center is a confidence booster that keeps you focused on trying to keep them there as your target gets further away. Kudos to Jang for that excellent Common Sense Shooting Errors graph.

This is a high-quality target in regards to the one posted above. I made it on photoshop perfectly formatted for printing on regular 8.5x11 paper, if anyone's interested. I found similar targets on the internet but they were all so horribly pixelated that the text was too blurry to read on print size.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Niche View Post
    This is a high-quality target in regards to the one posted above. I made it on photoshop perfectly formatted for printing on regular 8.5x11 paper, if anyone's interested. I found similar targets on the internet but they were all so horribly pixelated that the text was too blurry to read on print size.

I keep a copy of this in my range bag.

Sponsored Links