NEF and Rossi Single shot rifles?

This is a discussion on NEF and Rossi Single shot rifles? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Who has experience with the single shot rifles from either of these brands? The idea of picking one up in a number of different calibers ...

Thread: NEF and Rossi Single shot rifles?

NEF and Rossi Single shot rifles?

Who has experience with the single shot rifles from either of these brands? The idea of picking one up in a number of different calibers appeals to me. I don't really have a practical use, I can't hunt with rifles in Ohio. So it would mostly just be target shooting and stuff.

Calibers I was considering are .223, .30-30, or .308. Or maybe the .45-70 one, because then I could still have that caliber, and its a lot cheaper than a Sharps.

Does anyone know how the interchangeability of calibers works with either brand? There are a few combo sets from both, but they tend to be a shotgun caliber and rifle caliber, as opposed to multiple rifle calibers.

I guess I am just looking for general knowledge/experience with them. I figure for a couple hundred bucks if they shoot ok, it wouldn't be too bad of a deal, especially if I could swap barrels.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I had some time behind an NEF .223 that belonged to a customer. I mounted and sighted in a scope for him and the rifle was MOA or better with a couple of loads. Occasionally it was much better than MOA. One was on my list in.30-06 since I'm a lefty but I traded some work for a Ruger #1 at the last minute. I'd buy one and not have any concern about quality if I had a need again.

I can't speak for interchangeability, the only thing I remember is a customer who had one in .500 S&W and said an aftermarket polymer stock and fore end didn't fit it. IIRC it was advertised as fitting all models. I didn't actually work on it and don't know the exact problem he had.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I have the NEF 45-70 for black powder season in Mississippi. It is more accurate than I thought it would be. I think new barrels for the NEF have to be factory fitted. I am happy with mine. Since you can use them for black powder hunting in Mississipp lots of folks own them here. I do not know of anyone that has had any problems. Everyone I know is happy with the accuracy of their rifle.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I recently traded a NEF .223 w/bull barrel that would hit a quarter most every time at 50 yards. That was from a bench rest.

I traded it for a shotgun since I don't varmint hunt any more.
    It was very good for it's purpose and took dozens and dozens of ground hogs when I lived in Ohio.
    The only con about it was it had a 6 - 8 pound trigger pull, which was OK once you got used to it.
    I suppose a gunsmith could reduce the pull but I never got around to it. It did work fine for me.

You can order other barrels from NEF (New England Firearms) if your receiver is a SB-2 Model but you do have to send the receiver back to the factory to fit the new barrel(s) to it. I understand the SB-1 or older H & R receivers will not take extra barrels so do make sure you get the SB-2. They are built tough and I would not hesitate to get another one.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

I forgot to mention the trigger job. It needed one, but it was no big deal to do it.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I am thinking I want a .45-70 one, it just seems like it would be fun.

Kind of sucks that it would need to be sent to the factory to fit new barrels, but I guess that makes sense.

I have a lot of experience with the NEF Pardner shotguns, they have always seemed pretty solid to me. They are just a simple, single shot shotgun, but well made IMO.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links