Single action revolvers

This is a discussion on Single action revolvers within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Are there any members here that are single action revolver aficionados? I know that there is a bit of controversy about defensive carry effectiveness of ...

Thread: Single action revolvers

Single action revolvers

Are there any members here that are single action revolver aficionados?

I know that there is a bit of controversy about defensive carry effectiveness of such, but I'm just looking at it from a general perspective.

I could never get my small hands on a large double action revolver, but the single action wheel guns are the bomb for fun
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Yes, absolutely. I sometimes carry a 3 inch barrel 44 spl. For SD purposes, some people look down upon it, but to someone who understands it's strengths and limitations, can make it work.

Plus, they are classy, simple, rugged, and throw large chunks of lead.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Most of us have seen the "experts" who can draw and acurrately shoot a Colt SAA in the blink of an eye, but I think the practicality of that style handguns is lost as concealment weapon. In an OC environment, I can see where it could be just as deadly and quickly brought into actions as any other firearm.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Single action revolvers
    For carry?

No, just no.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Zacii,

Are you referring to SA revolvers because of their grip size or their often large caliber?

I consider the GP100 a reasonably large double action revolver, yet with the compact grips they accomodate smaller hands quite nicely.

The single action initial deployment of double action revolvers, with those that have suitable hammers, is practiced by some people and does sometimes provide an advantage.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I do enjoy S.A.S.S. and have thought about carying my single action, but I haven't tried it yet. I love shooting it but I can't leave my Glock at home when I go out.
    I reject your reality, and insert my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Zacii,

Are you referring to SA revolvers because of their grip size or their often large caliber?

I consider the GP100 a reasonably large double action revolver, yet with the compact grips they accomodate smaller hands quite nicely.

The single action initial deployment of double action revolvers, with those that have suitable hammers, is practiced by some people and does sometimes provide an advantage.
    That's ironic that you brought up the GP100. I was checking one out the other day, but the handle is just way too big for my hands, at least with the factory stocks.

I brought up the single action, because of the grip size, and just 'cause I grew up watching John Wayne

There's a bit of nostalgia, and a lot of history and romance that goes with 'em.

And as far as defensive purposes, check out this article: Single-Action Shootout at Gunsite

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Were the grips on the GP100 what they are issuing on them now or the earlier compact grips. Examples of both below, with the current larger all rubber grips first.

http://ruger.com/products/gp100/models.html
    http://shopruger.com/Rubber-Grip-w_-...uctinfo/70085/

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=216621543

The smaller grips are available as well as a variety of grip panels for them.

IMO the primary advantage of a SA revolver in the same caliber as a DA revolver is the potential speed of the first shot. The big disadvantage is the slow reload speed of the SA. The combination of the DA revolver with its faster reload speed combined with utilizing SA first shot deployment, is to me the ideal combination.
    Last edited by Guantes; February 19th, 2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: better pic added
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

The one that I checked out is the one in the 1st link:

the thing was a behemoth

Those hogue grips are an absolute abortion to the handling qualities of a six gun. The original GP 100 grips with the inserts were very good.

However, nothing points as naturally as a SAA framed sixgun.

While it's true that the SA is disadvantaged by it's slower reloading process, this can be overcome to a degree by "road loading" , a technique where you shoot a few, and top off as you go.

Also more emphasis is placed on actually hitting your target than relying on laying down a base of fire. When I carry a 9mm, I count on the higher capacity to use multiple shots to stop, the plan to place several hits on the target quickly. When I carry a big bore handgun, I do not worry about needing more than one shot.

Many people will disagree, but to them I say shoot a bunch of living things with various calibers, and get back to me.

SA is pointless for defense, IMHO, because of the time it takes to master. You're better off spending the same time learning fighting skills. But for fun or hunting, try a Ruger single six, you'll think you died and went to small bore heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Those hogue grips are an absolute abortion to the handling qualities of a six gun. The original GP 100 grips with the inserts were very good.

Many people will disagree, but to them I say shoot a bunch of living things with various calibers, and get back to me.

I'm no big fan of Ruger revolvers but the original GP 100 grips are very nice shooting equipment and very well designed in my view.

I agree that one can do much worse than observe various handguns and cartridges in actual field use. You are right. Lots of folks disagree and point to studies, data, and manufacturer's claims, denigrating those who have field experience.

I'm not a big fan of single action revolvers in general but a shooter needs to get out more if he is under the impression that a single action revolver is unsuitable for self defense.

The single time I felt inadequate when actually employing a single action revolver for self protection I found myself pining for a long arm more than anything. I have carried a single action revolver concealed and frequently carry one afield.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Around the farm my Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt spends most of its time strapped to the 4-wheeler with a BUG in my pocket. There are other things in a rural area to worry about besides the typical BG, although there are BG's here too.

I do CC the Blackhawk occasionally, but my Primary EDC is a S&W 36 w/ either a P3AT or Beretta 21A as BUG mainly due to ease of concealment. The Blackhawk just isn't really practical for me to CC regularly do to size as well as weighing in @ 45oz loaded.

I feel much confident when CCing the Blackhawk w/BUG than with the Snubbie. Part of that feeling of comfort is that I am MUCH! more accurate with the Blackhawk than either the snubbie or the BUG.
    On the range with no time limit and no distractions I can do 2-3" groups @ 15yds with the snubbie. Add distractions/stress/physical duress, and my average is 7-8" groups (aimed) @ 15yds and wouldn't even consider un-aimed/point shooting past 15-20 feet. The BUG's are even worse with the P3AT being the poorer (accuracy wise) of the two.
    I can do 2" groups (aimed) out to 50yds with the Blackhawk and "point shoot" 5-6" groups out to 15yds even under stress.

The very first IPSC shoot I did in the early 80's I used a .357mag Ruger Blackhawk (the only centerfire I owned at the time). The course was set up for beginners and limited to 5-shot strings with reloads. I won that match due to accuracy, but my reload time sucked. I quickly graduated to a semi-auto for competition, but have never lost my love for a quality SA revolver.

I've recently watched an SASS match where one shooter was using a Blackhawk in 45ACP and reloading using 1911 magazines, very quickly too. This is something I may consider if I decide to carry the Blackhawk more than as an occasional CCW. (I have the 45ACP cylinder for it.)
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Links