Backup Firearm Is It Needed

This is a discussion on Backup Firearm Is It Needed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If I can, I will. During these summer months where it's harder to conceal gear, I usually don't. I trust my gear, but I don't ...

View Poll Results: Should You Carry A Backup Everyday ?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 36.92%
  • No

41 63.08%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backup Firearm Is It Needed

VIP Member
    If I can, I will. During these summer months where it's harder to conceal gear, I usually don't.

I trust my gear, but I don't trust Mr. Murphy, so I like having Plan B.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Seems many of us share the same sorta view. I didn't vote either as the yes/no aspect is not that clear cut.

I will at times add a BUG and of course any need for such will only ever be known in that situation we all hope to never experience.! On balance I guess my answer is no - but certainly there are times when I'll add to a pocket or ankle, determined pretty much by where I might expect to find myself ''that day''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I rely on my primary. I have enough other things on me, Cell phone,extra mag,pepper spray. I feel I would be prepared for 90% of situations I might encounter. So I choose to play the odds!!!

Maybe its a cheat, but I voted "Yes"- Though it may not always be a second gun, I always have 2 or more secondary devices of some kind.

+1 Rssz...

I should, but I don't. I was thinking of a derringer a while back or something along those lines. The tiny mouse guns are neat, but I wouldn't trust my life to them.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I don't carry a BUG.I carry a knife as my secondary, or plan "B."
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

OD*
    Should You
    Don't know how I over looked that part of the question.

Should you? Have to agree with Redneck, it's a personal choice, but I know for a fact Mister Murphy is alive and well.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I voted no only because it says should you carry everyday. I dont think its practical to carry a backup EVERYday. Once in a while I'll carry a backup just for the plain reason of "why not"? I feel being familiar with one weapon and carrying a backup mag is more important that carrying multiple weapons.

VIP Member
    didn't vote either, I don't think its a "should" situation, more of a would you...

my wife's glock 26 is the only thing I can use for a BUG right now and she would not appreciate that at all

so I'm gonna look at a keltec P11 probably, will be no problem for me to carry in a pocket holster in pants/shorts or jacket pocket along with my usual HK or Glock in IWB or OWB

I trust my gear too, thats not an issue, what is an issue is Murphy and stuff happening in the heat of a SHTF situation. Murphy seems to enjoy sneaking up on people.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Yes,should Murphy show up.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

One knife, one gun but I was thinking about buying another snubnose in the same cal.
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

I always carry 2 handguns while working (police officer). When off duty I usually carry only one with some spare ammo. If I know that I'll be travelling in a rough area, I will carry a BUG in addition to the spare ammo for the primary weapon.

YES - when it makes sense and the conditions warrant...
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    At this point, I also want to state that my weapons ARE FOR MY OWN USE ONLY. I do not carry any weapon to loan or give to anyone else. If your invited to a gun or knife fight,you'd better have brought a gun or knife. This,especially as we get older.

I am aware that we have 22 year olds on this forum. Don't worry gentlemen,you will get older also.
    Intended with the upmost respect RSSZ, is there a particular implication you had in mind regarding to 22 year olds? Just curious....

I myself am 22, and a recent CCW. I also spent countless hours going through non-state required training prior do doing so. I've researched my state laws to the upmost extent, as well as being an active member of the Washington Arms Collectors and NRA. I've written my representatives and senators numerous letters regarding pro-gun legislation as well as educated my family, friends and community to the value a legally armed citizen has in society.

Not sure the intent of your statement, but JUST IN CASE it may have been implying that someones age may be a factor in judging their knowledge, experience, and respect of firearms and concealed carry, I thought I would give you a slightly different scenario..... no hard feelings intended of course

BTW- Only one carry for me. I believe if your comfortable with your training and abilities, one should be sufficient. Just in my .02 of course.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links