Backup Firearm Is It Needed

Backup Firearm Is It Needed

This is a discussion on Backup Firearm Is It Needed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A friend and I where talking about how he carries a smaller backup gun at all times. I been giving it some thaught but haven't ...

View Poll Results: Should You Carry A Backup Everyday ?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 36.92%
  • No

41 63.08%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backup Firearm Is It Needed

Lightbulb Backup Firearm Is It Needed

A friend and I where talking about how he carries a smaller backup gun at all times. I been giving it some thaught but haven't made my mind up yet. Do any of you out there carry a backup at all times ?

nope

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I feel that you have to learn to trust your gear. Comes from my years in the military I guess.

How many weapons can they(we) carry into combat. That,along with associated equipment(ammo,mags,etc.).

You train,you prepare,you execute. One weapon,one holster(thumb break,no thumb break,IWB,OWB,3 o'clock,4 o'clock,etc.,etc.)one ammo(recoil and targeting)one blade(make that a fightin' blade)positioned in the same place everyday.Same drill,same manual of arms.

At this point, I also want to state that my weapons ARE FOR MY OWN USE ONLY. I do not carry any weapon to loan or give to anyone else. If your invited to a gun or knife fight,you'd better have brought a gun or knife. This,especially as we get older.

I am aware that we have 22 year olds on this forum. Don't worry gentlemen,you will get older also.

I'm sure that we all prepare for all the bad things that can happen to us and our families. But where is the cutoff as to the number of weapons that we will(are able to) carry.

For me >> one pistol,one extra mag(normally/99% of the time) one blade.

I trust these objects not to fail me. I trust my training not to fail me. I trust my mindset not to fail me. All these things put together will ensure my victory.

I absolutely believe this. --------

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    This has been hashed over many times. Imho do whateaver feels best for YOUR needs , which may well not be the same as mine .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I agree with Redneck....whatever works for YOU. I like to have a backup (in part just because I like my weapons and enjoy having them with me), and feel like I should have one.

But I don't always do it.

For a CCW-er? No.

OD*
    Yep, a P-32. It's an "always" gun.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

If I was a cop. YES.
    The citizen with a CCW. NO, practice more and quit making enemies.
    OR.... since its a free country... do what you feel is right for that situation.

I will occasionally carry a second gun. I do not think of it as a back up gun though. The reason it is carried is for access.

Try to draw from IWB while buckled in the car. Then put on a heavy coat during a cold Michigan winter and try it again. In cooler weather I will carry my SA LW Champion in a Alessi shoulder holster on extended trips. For the hot and humid summers here I am still working on some ideas for easy access car carry.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Yes and no. My lifestyle and the weather doesn't permit me to carry my primary all of the time. For instance, when I'm at work my weapon has to be completely concealed, no printing acceptable at all. I can't do that with a Commander. So I carry a J-frame in a pocket holster. I call that my "always gun". It doesn't matter what I'm wearing or where I'm going, I can conceal that. So it goes everywhere, but if circumstances allow the Commander to be concealed, it can come along too. Also, I carry the J-frame on my weak side, broadening my options should a bad situation occur. I also like to have something in the event of mechanical failure. Murphy is alive and well and has bit us all in the behind more than once.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I have a hard enough time concealing 1 pistol when the temperature hits 100+....I couldnt imagine having to find somewhere comfortable for another...BUT for LE, thats a differant story.
    Fear No Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by hsuCowboy98
    I have a hard enough time concealing 1 pistol when the temperature hits 100+....I couldnt imagine having to find somewhere comfortable for another...
    +1 on this sentiment.

I think a spare mag and flashlight is more important than a 2nd gun for CCW...now if I was a LEO...I would most assuredly carry a BUG.
    Brad B.

Didn't vote, to me there's no "should" -- it is just personal preference. I carry one but don't consider it a backup to the primary. It's more like my little folding knife, there all the time and will work if I need it.
    Today has been one of the very few days where it's so hot here that I don't want to wear a vest, so I just have my little gun. Since I carry it all the time anyway, I'm used to it. Just feels odd if it's not in my pocket.

Lead Moderator
    Sometimes I will carry a BUG, NAA .22 but most days just the primary CCW piece.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links