Does your State charge you for a NICS check?

This is a discussion on Does your State charge you for a NICS check? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Brother lives in Nevada, near Las Vegas. This past weekend, he went to Dick's, Bass Pro, and a couple other shops looking for a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Does your State charge you for a NICS check?

Does your State charge you for a NICS check?

My Brother lives in Nevada, near Las Vegas. This past weekend, he went to Dick's, Bass Pro, and a couple other shops looking for a new Remington 870 shotgun. He found one for 329.95 at Dick's and made the purchase. He spoke to me yesterday, and told me what he bought, andi was happy for him. He then told me the Store CHARGED him 25.00 for the NICS check, which I think the daeler should absorb it. I live in Nh and work P/T atone of the largest Gun Shops on the East Coast (KTP.Com) and find this extra cost to be absurd, as we in the NE have no such extra cost passed on to the Customer.
    Question is. Do you live in a State that passes the extra cost onto you when you make a purchase out of the DEALER'S Inventory? (this is not for incoming transfers from other dealer where you made a purchase from)

I think this is outragous to say the least
    http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Pa...on_History.php
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Negative. NO charges for NICS.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    In both states I have sold guns in (PA and VA) the NICS fee was the same... $2 per background check.

In the first store I worked at they charged $2 for the background check and did not make any profit off of it. In the second store I worked at they charged $5, essentially making $3 in profit with every background check.

I do not know the NICS fees for each state but those are the experiences of the two states I have sold guns in. I suspect (and this is just conjecture on my part) that the Nevada NICS check fee is the same or similar as other states and that the gun store is charging more to make more profit.

It is within the store's legal right to do so no matter how questionable the practice may seem to some.

Also, remember that if the background check is DENIED that means that the dealer gets nothing for his time, effort and paperwork so if he absorbs the cost of the background check it means he's actually LOSING money on a customer instead of making money. This is the main reason why stores charge for the background check. It insures at least a minimal monetary allocation for the clerks time should the sale not legally be able to take place.

Though $25 might seem a little high I know how frustrating it can be for a dealer to spend 20-30 minutes on a customer, get through all of the paperwork, run the check and have it denied. It's a huge pain and a big loss. It's a business and no good business person would absorb those kinds of losses (even though roughly only 1 in 100 is denied). Perhaps crediting the purchase the amount paid for the background check would be a good idea but charging for the background check in the event of a denial or long delay is good business... it's just up to the store to determine how much to charge.

VIP Member
    I would have turned and walked out of the store at the mention of a $25 fee.
    oneshot likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

In Ga, with a permit, there is no fee.

I would not have paid the fee anywhere.
    oneshot likes this.

None, absorbed by the dealer.

That's like buying a car, and them telling me ..... there will be a charge for doing the title...... on my last car, I told them I don't need the title I"ll drive it like it is. They were like, HUH ? Heck no, I'll pay for the car and you can keep paying the taxes on it... I'll just use your Dealers tag. Never paid a "title" fee either.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Bogus! Let me rephrase that: Boooooooogus!

I've never seen a fee for a NICS check in Missouri or Kansas - I have seen several dealers with posted policies of a fee, usually $50 or so, for denied NICS checks.

Just curious, are these states with NICS fees states that do the "Point of Contact" thing, or whatever it's called where a valid state issued CCW bypasses the NICS?

Joe

No way in Montana for a charge like that. What a load!!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

In Utah, the charge is 7.50, I think. If you have a UT permit they waive the fee, but still do the check.

In AZ there is no fee or check if you have a permit. So, I don't know if there's a fee or not
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

He then told me the Store CHARGED him 25.00 for the NICS check, which I think the daeler should absorb it.
    This is no different than the dealer changing the price at the last moment. No biggie. Just tell them to deduct the $25 from the agreed price and they will still have a sale.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    This is no different than the dealer changing the price at the last moment. No biggie. Just tell them to deduct the $25 from the agreed price and they will still have a sale.

Michael
    And if they (the Store) won't budge on the price of the gun? I told my Brother to walk away, and get it through the Store I work at, the next time he visited me in Nh. If I "changed" the price of one of my guns I was selling a customer, they'd walk out, and I'd get a BAD REP for doing such a thing.
    Being a Former FFL, I would never charge an extra "fee" to make the sale. Seems to me, it's either theStore making the extra $$ or the State of nevada cashing in on the deal. Either way, to me, it's bogus to charge an extra "fee" to process the sale.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Every transaction in FL cost me $5 for NICS + the dealer's FFL fee, which varies from store to store..
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    In AZ there is no fee or check if you have a permit. So, I don't know if there's a fee or not
    I did not have to pay a fee without a permit.

VIP Member
    In SC, they don't even call it in if you have a permit. In fact, you only fill out a two page short-form and you're outta there. Kinda makes sense, huh?

VIP Member
    In SW Ohio, I have never had to pay for a NICS fee. The dealers must absorb the cost, but if I was asked to pay, I would find a different store. I have purchased from at least 7 different FFLs in this area.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links