Disappointed in S&W

This is a discussion on Disappointed in S&W within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I find the answer from S&W interesting and not what I have come to expect from US gun manufactures; here it is: I purchased a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed in S&W

Disappointed in S&W

I find the answer from S&W interesting and not what I have come to expect from US gun manufactures; here it is:

I purchased a new in the box, unfired, 1981 S&W Model 36 from a local gun store; the gun came in the mint original box will all documentation , even the 1981 warranty card. Anyway, I found that with a little pressure the cylinder would rotate clockwise when closed with the hammer down. I contact S&W customer service and explained the situation and they said they would “take care of it” and provide a shipping label to return the gun.

A few weeks later I get an invoice from S&W asking that I pay $83 to authorize the repair. I contacted them and the same guy that said he would take care of it now says that S&W did not offer a life time warranty until 1989 and since my gun was manufactured prior to that it wasn’t covered. The interesting part is they admit that the gun is unfired and that the problem is cause by a manufactures defect.

I probably shouldn’t have expected anything different, but having been a loyal S&W customer for 35 years and the owner of 13 of their handguns I was a little disappointed. I have come to expect American gun manufactures to stand behind their product and have had great luck with Colt, Ruger, Rock River and Weatherby.

Am I wrong to expect this level of customer service?

2. Remove Ads

I suppose that they may have been technically correct in charging you the $83.00 but with regard to customer relations it was not a smart move. It just may have cost them a customer of 35 years and one who posts to gun forums to boot.

Even more strange after the email I received from them (below) fully aware of the situation and date of manufacture.

Hello Mark,

I just put an order in for a pre-paid, pre-insured FedEx return label. Please allow around 5 business days for delivery. Please follow the instructions that will be included in the package. Include a letter with your contact information and a description of the issue. We stand behind our products and will make this right for you.

Regards, Steve
    Customer Service
    1-800-331-0852 Ext. 2905
    Smith & Wesson

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabre03 View Post
    Am I wrong to expect this level of customer service?
    I would say that yes you are wrong here.

It is not Smith and Wesson's fault that this gun apparently was never used for 30 years. That alone is pretty amazing and bizarre in itself, and certainly is not the fault of S&W.

You yourself admit that the gun has no lifetime warranty, because it was made so very long ago. How reasonable is it to force S&W to go back in time and cover more older handguns with a lifetime warranty? Will folks next be demanding that guns made in 1971, 1961, or ? should get a lifetime warranty as well?

Besides, the S&W Lifetime warranty only applies to the original owner of a handgun. And it is pretty hard to believe that this gun sat in this dealer's inventory for 30 years and never had any prior owners.

So yes, I think that you are being unreasonable in your demands, and are very wrong in this matter to criticize S&W.

kpw
    I can't say they are wrong but after admiting it was a manufacturer's defect, not from use or abuse, I'm surprised they would charge you.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

They didn't offer a lifetime warranty on guns when that was manufactured so this does not fall under warranty.-Point S&W

You explained the situation to them and they said they'd take care of it (sure you could've asked for them to draw you a picture to illustrate exactly what that meant but).-Point You

They are not going to repair an admitted factory defect on a basically new gun costing them probably less than $83.00.-Point You
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I'd call again, be polite and ask for a re-consideration. Maybe offer to split the $83 if things don't seem to be going well. Doesn't hurt to ask.......

VIP Member
    No, you are not wrong. If the gun was sold NIB then the warranty period starts on the date of initial purchase, not the date of manufacture. Since the gun was manufactured prior to the date they started their life time warranty program, it does not qualify for that, but the original warranty offered to new owners does apply.

If you buy a 2 year old car, that is new, never owned by anyone else. The 5 year/50,000 mile warranty (or what ever it is advertised with) starts at the date of purchase. Same principal.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'd call them back and tell them that I need 13 more shipping labels for all of my other S&W products for them to check out for this same manufacturing defect as well. That would cost them more than $83 in shipping and may inspire them to stand behind their product for a loyal customer.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    That's bogus! I would be pissed cuz its an unfired gun and its a known factory defect
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Send it to me, I will pay the 83 bucks and not complain one bit.

I'd be disappointed in them.

If they had been upfront about it, from the beginning that would be different.

But, they led you to believe that they would take care of you at all expense
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

It's much better to talk to a Rep than E-mail, AS Stated Be polite and tell em about original warenty , If no luck go high up as possible JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    No, you are not wrong. If the gun was sold NIB then the warranty period starts on the date of initial purchase, not the date of manufacture. Since the gun was manufactured prior to the date they started their life time warranty program, it does not qualify for that, but the original warranty offered to new owners does apply.

If you buy a 2 year old car, that is new, never owned by anyone else. The 5 year/50,000 mile warranty (or what ever it is advertised with) starts at the date of purchase. Same principal.
    Exactly
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

That's shabby treatment. Eighty-three bucks isn't much, but it sure can buy a lot of bad advertising. I wouldn't waste my time calling them up and asking for anything. The question I have is, will you ever purchase another S & W firearm?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links