What does SHTF/TEOTWAWKI mean to you?

This is a discussion on What does SHTF/TEOTWAWKI mean to you? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by gilraen To me, SHTF and EOTWAWKI are two different levels of bad. SHTF is another Katrina. (Living in Houston, this is my ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What does SHTF/TEOTWAWKI mean to you?

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    To me, SHTF and EOTWAWKI are two different levels of bad.

SHTF is another Katrina. (Living in Houston, this is my most realistic fear.) Have enough water and dry or freeze-dried foods to last a month or so.

EOTWAWKI is more like an EMP going off, a Yellowstone-sized volcano, or a meteor. No electronics at all, no electricity, most cars not starting, no fresh food delivered, riots and random violence. At 56, I don't plan on lasting long in that case. Hopefully just long enough to gather my kids and grandkid, help them defend the house, and help them get set up for long-term survival.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

As an Atlantan, I prepare for SHTF for similar reasons. Local lawlessness due to natural disaster, terrorism, or civil disobedience resulting from interruption in power, food/fuel distribution, mobile phone coverage, someone cutting off Jerry Springer for more than two consecutive days, etc. Suffice it to say some of us are going to need a lot more than a 1911 and an ACOG on an AR when gas passes the $5 mark, which it will very soon.

I don't have the skills, knowledge, mutual support group, or land to be remotely prepared for EOTWAWKI. Trying to accumulate those facets of prepping as quickly as I can but sadly, I got into the game late in life.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

2. Remove Ads

I'm going cannibal right after I eat the two little dogs that belong to the wife. Then the wife is next.

VIP Member
    SHTF - firearms, food, and staying put till its over. Maybe going mobile if necessary.

End of the world - too many folks place too much emphasis on weapons and stockpiling. What has killed folks throughout history, just a few...

Exposure to the elements. That big ole house you live in, how will you heat it? Thinking wood are you? OK, how many can actually cut down the trees, strip the limbs, cut the trunks, and split the wood to put enough wood away for heating, cooking, etc? I'll bet there are some on DC that can, but many that can't.

Drought. Do you have access to a reliable water source, one that won't get polluted? Many have died from cholria out breaks and other water bourne illnesses.

Food. Stockpiles won't last forever. Want to hunker down and grow your own and cultivate local wild edibles? Do you know how to do this without convience tools and modern chemicals?

Sanitation/hygene. Can you keep things neat and tiddey, do you know how to make soap from scratch, what to clean, and when to clean? For short term, know how to use vinegar, baking soda, chlorine, and a few other basics.

Mobility. Move with the food source and the seasons is another options.

Just some things to think about.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    SHTF - Natural disaster. There may be power outages, no way in/out of the city, looting, rioting...it will be a free for all, but like Katrina, will stabilize for the most part in a few years. In that case. I stand my ground. I hole up in my home, live off my supplies as long as I can, rationing carefully, and kill anyone who tries to loot my home. I won't take part in looting/rioting. Just because a natural disaster hit doesn't make it right to steal supplies and goods from stores. But I sure as heck ain't letting anyone have my stuff.

TEOTWAWKI - National level pandemic. Lots of unrest, people dying, money is no longer good as currency, food is running short, and it will last a LONG time. Years at a minimum. I retreat to the family ranch, along with the rest of the family/extended family. We hunt the land for food, live off stored supplies, and kill anyone that comes on the ranch uninvited. Patrol for poachers and kill on sight. Our ranch, our animals/game. Tons of ammo and guns stored there. Try to build some defenses to keep people off. Only leave to trade/barter if needed.

I've never really thought about any of it, so this is the off the top of my head answer. I doubt we will see TEOTWAWKI, and there are possibilities of SHTF, but I think it's unlikely.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsully View Post
    Nothing. You need to spell it out. It's too time consuming to try and figure what this way of writing means. Nothing against the owner of the thread. I just don't get this. Did it evolve from text messaging?
    SHTF = stuff hits the fan

TEOTWAWKI = The end of the world as we know it

You must be over 30, eh?
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 25th, 2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Can't post the s word apparently/ No, you cant- love Sixto.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

I dont worry about it. If it happens it happens. From what I hear there will be plenty of ammo and supplys for the taking. Without the proper training and skills of field craft, all of the major hoarders of this stuff will just become wholesale suppliers to people like me.:

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I dont worry about it. If it happens it happens. From what I hear there will be plenty of ammo and supplys for the taking. Without the proper training and skills of field craft, all of the major hoarders of this stuff will just become wholesale suppliers to people like me.:
    So you are going to steal from the good folks around you?
    "Fail Your Way To Success"
    "A Goal without a Plan, is Just a Dream"
    "Age and treachery will win over Youth and Enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by boerep View Post
    So you are going to steal from the good folks around you?
    Why did I know that was coming? If you knew me you would know better. But to entertain the question, lets look at it this way; to assume the folks around me are good is presumptious, especially under conditions encountered in the worst case scenario. The fact is, I may have to kill [ as in self defense] to survive, so why let good equipment go to waste. Additionally, most of the people who think a store house of ammo will save them will probably die, so why not make use of what they leave behind?

But since you pose the question with a certain amount of condemnation, would you steal from others if it meant you and your family surviving? Could you kill for food. These are the ugly questions and realities that people will have to make in the worst case scenario. Better answer it truthfully now, than find out when its too late.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Don't forget a lot of diesel fuel for the 18-wheeler you'll need to carry almost 200,000 rounds of ammo!
    I DO understand what you're saying but I never said I HAD to transport the whole thing now did I? With all due respect, how do you know some of it's(the food, water, ammo, fuel, med supplies,) not already at our final destination? The weapons move when we're mobil. I'm not a survivalist, but the people I have known, have talked about this very scenerio since 1980. With the people I know and our families that need to be protected, we're secure knowing we'll get there in one piece....Several 4 wheelers, a few other vehicles, for backup, and we're gone. What can't be taken, will get buried for another time if we can return. If not, I hope it falls into good people's hands..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    I DO understand what you're saying but I never said I HAD to transport the whole thing now did I?
    Maybe it was the "prepared to head for higher ground" comment that threw me off.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Admittedly I too was thrown by the same statement, GA.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I was a good boy scout, be prepared for "anything".
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Maybe it was the "prepared to head for higher ground" comment that threw me off.
    Oh I know we're all on the same side here, and if we could, there's not one of us who wouldn't try to take as much as we could in order to survive....Although my brother-in-law DOES have/drive a 18 wheeler....BUT he's NOT on my "nice" list (LMAO here) He'd probably drive of with the stuff and try to sell it off.
    Therefore..he's on his own...
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Prep for the lights going out and not getting turned back on anytime soon. Be it a natural disaster (most likely sceaniro......say a 'Katrina' incident) or something more man-made.
    People get really feral really quick when there's nothing on TV, phones and internet 'go away', and the basic infastructure and 'comforts' are no longer there.
    Wether bugging-out or digging-in, prepare yourself for a long haul. Medications, canned/packaged foods, potable water, fuel for heat and a full tank in your 'primary' car/truck, and secure shelter.......and the mindset to protect/defend those necessities and your family.

A 'basic' threesome........defensive pistol, a shotty, and a rifle.(and a .22 with a couple of 'milk-cartons' of ammo are a good choice IMO)
    Simple and solid will keep you and yours as safe as can be expected.
    I think he summed it up very well. And that's really what we have set up for such an event. The only modification being that I have 5 kids and 3 of them are old enough that they have their own .22 rifles to use. They all are good shots, even the 8 year old twins, but we have not gotten them their own rifles yet. Maybe this birthday....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I'm trying to become prepared for anything. With the distrust in the government these days you don't what which scenario will play out. All I know it it's getting more and more dangerous these days because of people being out of work and getting desperate for basic needs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links