What does SHTF/TEOTWAWKI mean to you? - Page 4

What does SHTF/TEOTWAWKI mean to you?

This is a discussion on What does SHTF/TEOTWAWKI mean to you? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; SHTF is localized and short term, i.e. Katrina, extended power outage, localized civil unrest. You may be severely inconvenienced, and the neighbors may have to ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What does SHTF/TEOTWAWKI mean to you?

SHTF is localized and short term, i.e. Katrina, extended power outage, localized civil unrest. You may be severely inconvenienced, and the neighbors may have to band together, but there is a functioning government out there somewhere and the hope of restoring order. For this, you need water & food, ammo, basic first aid supplies, and a backup location to go to if you have to leave your home.

EOTWAWKI is widespread and long lasting, with no real hope of a functional government. This would include something like EMP attack, nuclear war, Yellowstone caldera, complete economic collapse. Here, you may start out like SHTF but after a while people start to realize that the food trucks aren't coming and no one can stop them from taking what they need. When your formerly helpful neighbors are starving and notice your well-fed family, how long will it take for them to organize against YOU and 'liberate' your food stocks? Or for someone who did no preparations to decide that it is much easier to just take over your house and supplies rather than look for stuff for themselves?

SHTF I can handle with a reasonable amount of firearms, ammo, water, food and people. EOTWAWKI is a much tougher situation to survive long-term; my current location between cities on a major road is not a good place. The only way I can see making it through that scenario is by being more ruthless than anyone else, or by getting the heck out of Dodge EARLY ON before people realize how bad it is and travel becomes impossible. You'd have to get to a defensible location, like-minded people, and prepositioned supplies.

I ain't there yet.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Senior Moderator
    I'll just try to survive and do it the best way I can.

That includes suprressed guns, nightvision and anything else.

If I have to, I will cheat.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

TEOTWAWKI--A suburb of Milwaukee, right?
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    If I have to, I will cheat.
    Cheat? How do you cheat when there are no rules? Like some folks say, if you find yourself in a fair fight your planning sucks!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

SHTF TEOTWAWKI

They both make for some great movies.............

SHTF = Libya

TEOTWAEKI = Japan

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    SHTF--end-of-the-world?? Pat Robertson (700 Club) says that he feels that the Lord has told him that in 2012, our nations foreign lenders will call for our loans to be paid back and that we as a country will be unable to pay off our lenders--he says that there will be turmoil and that people on fixed incomes will suffer. I personally, do not know whether to put much stock in what Pat said, but I also know that we ARE in a pretty precarious financial situation. I am currently working on trying to become more independant--LARGE, fenced garden, we have chickens, milk cows, Beef cows, draft horses, buggy, wagon. Every time we go to COSTCO, I buy a few more buckets of unground wheat berries, oil, beans, rice, etc. Hopefully, a wood-cookstove, a standby generator and hand-pump for our well will also be there. I also need more ammo. (of course, we ALWAYS need more ammo ) I have talked with our oldest daughter, they are stationed at Fort Lewis--we have talked about what "trigger events" may set things in motion for their evacuation. I have encouraged them to have bug-out bags already packed. I am guessing that if the SHTF is a 'man-made" event (impending financial collapse), then those who are truly paying attention may have a 1-3 day window in which to act before the general public figures out what may be happening.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

To me SHTF does not have to be a major event. 1 intruder in my home meaning harm to myself and family and I guarantee you the S will HTF

For me .....I guess it means Zombie season has finally opened.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Plan as best you can. Get as many supplies and tools as you can. Plan for evacuation in case you must. But I think the biggest thing is to prepare mentally and emotionally. Try to get a grasp on what things could be like, and what you might be forced to do to survive, and decide where you will draw the line to keep your humanity/soul. You might think you will know, but there will undoubtedly be reevaluations as the situation progresses.

Reading books, having survival guides on hand, and learning/practicing the skills that would be required is part of my preparation process as well. I am trying to learn some skills that will make myself usefull and able to contribute to a community, because if you can't contribute work or knowledge, no community will want you, and surviving on your own in a TEOTWAWKI scenario will be next to impossible.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    It appears Lights Out is a TV show, a published book and a game, also. Do you have anything else to go by to narrow the search down?
    I attempted to find the story the link I had was broken,It looks like the Author found a publisher,and hollywood bought the script for the TV series,there is no more story available on the internet,but It was a good read
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I attempted to find the story the link I had was broken,It looks like the Author found a publisher,and hollywood bought the script for the TV series,there is no more story available on the internet,but It was a good read
    One of the members here was nice enough to send me the pdf book. I finished it a while ago.

There are way to many possibilities to list. To me it means not being sure what to expect next but to keep on my toes.

Living in northern VA in a fairly high population density area and 30 miles from DC, my priority would be to load up family members in my motorhome and/or convoy to a far less populated area to the west. RV is kept fully gassed and stocked, to include a box of seed packs, and with the solar system and large propane tanks we can boondock for a loooooong time quite comfortably. Expect in a remote area, we would have a much better chance of hunting and living off the land than we would fighting for food from closed grocery stores. Obviously we are well armed and able to protect ourselves as well.

JMHO YMMV
    TN_Mike likes this.
    USMC Retired ----- Not as lean - Not as mean - Still a Marine!!!!! Semper Fi

“Man... hath by nature a power
    .... to preserve his property - that is, his life, liberty, and estate - against the injuries and attempts of other men.”
    John Locke quote

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links