What does SHTF/TEOTWAWKI mean to you?

This is a discussion on What does SHTF/TEOTWAWKI mean to you? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, you've got whatever selection of weapons you deem appropriate and a sufficient cache of ammo, what exactly are you prepared for? What do you ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What does SHTF/TEOTWAWKI mean to you?

What does SHTF/TEOTWAWKI mean to you?

OK, you've got whatever selection of weapons you deem appropriate and a sufficient cache of ammo, what exactly are you prepared for? What do you see as the most probable scenario requiring the defensive use of firearms? If you plan to use them offensively, you probably don't want to talk about that here!
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

2. Remove Ads

Prep for the lights going out and not getting turned back on anytime soon. Be it a natural disaster (most likely sceaniro......say a 'Katrina' incident) or something more man-made.
    People get really feral really quick when there's nothing on TV, phones and internet 'go away', and the basic infastructure and 'comforts' are no longer there.
    Wether bugging-out or digging-in, prepare yourself for a long haul. Medications, canned/packaged foods, potable water, fuel for heat and a full tank in your 'primary' car/truck, and secure shelter.......and the mindset to protect/defend those necessities and your family.

A 'basic' threesome........defensive pistol, a shotty, and a rifle.(and a .22 with a couple of 'milk-cartons' of ammo are a good choice IMO)
    Simple and solid will keep you and yours as safe as can be expected.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Robot uprising...lol.

Seriously, though, pretty much what goldshellback said. Something like Katrina, or the Rodney King Riots.

VIP Member
    SHTF/EOTWAWKI scenario means life will never be the same again. Half of the population in big cities will die. The other half will be moving out into the country and trying to scrounge what is not theirs. The country folk will be banding together to protect their small communities from the waves of refugees coming in to strip the place dry.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

To me, SHTF and EOTWAWKI are two different levels of bad.

SHTF is another Katrina. (Living in Houston, this is my most realistic fear.) Have enough water and dry or freeze-dried foods to last a month or so.

EOTWAWKI is more like an EMP going off, a Yellowstone-sized volcano, or a meteor. No electronics at all, no electricity, most cars not starting, no fresh food delivered, riots and random violence. At 56, I don't plan on lasting long in that case. Hopefully just long enough to gather my kids and grandkid, help them defend the house, and help them get set up for long-term survival.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

I am not 100% sure, I do not spend a lot of time thinking about it or obsessing however; I do not want to be foolish an am moderatly prepared and thinking about different realities, AMMO Food Water, and a back up place to go.

I think I am good for most situations that will fall between a power outage and the walking dead being the two extreems about 35% into it I will be fine......... I am running low on ninja death stars and blow gun darts but plan to restock at the next "gun" show....

Interesting subject.
    There have been people, including experts, that have grown old and died preparing and stocking up for something that never happened.
    For those that happen to have the timing right, it will be a significant advantage.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Nothing. You need to spell it out. It's too time consuming to try and figure what this way of writing means. Nothing against the owner of the thread. I just don't get this. Did it evolve from text messaging?

Administrator
    I have a modest set up, and because I have an interest in firearms, I tend to be a little heavy in that department. I think for a major "event" it will be hard to beat a .22 rifle in its utility. Second would be a 12 gauge pump shotgun. The rest is fluff. Since .22's are cheap and easy to store, I have thousands upon thousands of rounds I've purchased over the years. I'm also an avid shotgunner, so I have a few flats of shells as well. Its overkill, but what the heck.
    Not near enough attention is given to the basics of survival. Far to many think that they have an AR (no matter if they really know how to use it or not) and they are prepared. I differ from that philosophy a lot. I like to not only have a cache of essentials, but plans and ability to replenish my supply.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well SHFT means exactly that to me, a defensive scenerio, an scenerio that is upon you in a flash with little to no warning.

TEOTWAWKI (tee-o-twaki) is a different mindset (total fail of infrastucture, economy, and law enforcement).

My family and I have been doing slight preperations for a possible economic melt down etc.etc. for near a decade.

We don't really devote ALOT of time to it, just a little bit here and there, learn things like how to grow food and re-use the seeds produced, maintain food producing animals, and put them to practice. Feels kinda good when we don't have to get everything we need from the store....it's just out back. Especially fresh eggs in the morning, every morning.

Learned how to run and maintain propane stores and propane generator incase of power outage...we could still run our pump for our water and water softener (even have and extra pump and learned how to replace, stor extra salt for the softner), deep freezer and refrig.

I have enough ammo in ranges from .22 to 12 gauge and in between along with reloading supplies to last me longer than any fight I would care to be in. I have enough .17 and .22 caliber pellets to quietly take squirels/birds and stuff around the house without anyone being any wiser to what I am doing.

I have enough fuel and generators to keep the fridge/freezer cold long enough to eat the food that is in them which would last me maybe a month or so if I stretched it. Running the different generators in cycles to keep the food cold and safe fuel would be the plan. There is a well in the back yard that would provide all the water I need when the generator is being run.

I would have to get back out my beer making supplies immediately.

If it was a true SHTF after the month had passed things would settle down I would think for those that were left and folks would have to start working to get things back on track. That is when skills will come into play. If you have something that is useful you should be able to get what you need to survive by working with folks who have stuff you don't and vise versa. Isn't that the way we made it as a country from the start.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Modest supply of food that can be stored for long periods of time. Try to keep extra ammo on hand. Have horses for transportation, cattle and chicken for food just some basics to get by. Not as good as some but alot better than most. Haven't donned the tin foil hat yet. Plans of starting a garden this year also (although we do grow a couple rows of sweet corn with our other corn).

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Keep it simple 20,000 rounds of .22LR and 5,000 rounds of 12 gauge. all else is a bonus if you have enough of it. After I find a round that said rifle likes I make sure I have at least 1,000 rounds on hand. I try and be ready for the Zombies, robots, or people that my try and take us out. but you can never be completely ready i guess.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The four days following each of the four hurricanes that ran over my house.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I will go live with the Amish. I don't think life will change for them in any way. :)
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links