Right-handed, left eye dominant

This is a discussion on Right-handed, left eye dominant within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a question for those of you who have a dominant eye opposite of your shooting hand. I want to shoot with both eyes ...

Thread: Right-handed, left eye dominant

Right-handed, left eye dominant

I have a question for those of you who have a dominant eye opposite of your shooting hand.

I want to shoot with both eyes open. I've been doing some experimenting (empty gun, pointing at distant objects) and it seems that if I were to to turn my head to one side that it helps with the dominant eye issue.

In other words, with the pistol in my right hand if I turn my head to the right it brings my left (dominant) eye into a position where it seems like my sites are better aligned.

Now here is the kicker...with my left (dominant) eye I can't bring the sites into focus. My left eye is good for distance. If I concentrate on the target and try and line up the sites my left eye is in control. My right eye is only good for reading. So if I focus on the sites, my right eye takes over.

Just wondering how you guys shoot? Any tips?

I'm almost thinking I may need to learn to shoot without using the sites. .

2. Remove Ads

I am right handed but left eye dom. I shoot left handed but can shoot right handed also. Left handed just seems more comfortable. As for when I shoot right handed, I simply tilt the gun so if it had an imaginary axis, it would be going from 10 - 4, tilting it that much will line it up to your left eye. I might try to post a pic of this. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by mancave View Post
    I'm almost thinking I may need to learn to shoot without using the sites. .
    Learning some good point shooting skills is worthwhile for anyone, regardless of their vision.
    Chris Upchurch - Suarez International Staff Instructor
    Upcoming SI Classes in South Carolina:
    Close Range Gunfighting - March 17-18
    Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting - April 14-15

i'm the same way right handed but left eyed. before i knew any better i shot with my right ear on my right shoulder which moves the left eye behind the gun and i shot really well like that, i have been workin on training my right eye but i would bet in a "real shooting" id revert back to left eye shootin

Quote Originally Posted by AZDaven View Post
    I am right handed but left eye dom. I shoot left handed but can shoot right handed also. Left handed just seems more comfortable. As for when I shoot right handed, I simply tilt the gun so if it had an imaginary axis, it would be going from 10 - 4, tilting it that much will line it up to your left eye. I might try to post a pic of this. Try it.
    I'm the same and it is very frustrating!! I have to shoot rifles and Shotguns left-handed but Pistols/revolvers are either hand, but obviously the accuracy REALLY changes. Sure hope you can post a pic cause I can't visualize what UR saying??
    NRA Member
    Ruger LC9
    Taurus PT92 AF
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (2)
    If you are going to shoot at Mimes, should you use a silencer?? ( Steven Wright)

I've been doing some more experimenting and I may be stuck not focusing at all on the sights. If I focus on the target and bring the front sight onto the target than I am lined up. I'm good as long as I don't try and bring the dots on the sight into focus. As soon as I try to focus on the dots, my right eye takes over.

So if I focus on the target, the sights are a blur but I think I can learn to get them lined up okay. Should be interesting....

I to am right handed left eyed. I was taught to focus on the front sight with target out of focus. I do turn my head to the right to bring my left eye in front of the gun. I am taking a class "Defensive Handgun" first week of March and am hoping to get some tips on how to deal with right handed left eyed. I will pass on if you wish.
    NRA Member
    USCCA Member
    Kimber Custom CDP II (EDC)
    Kimber Custom TLE/RL II

Quote Originally Posted by g1911 View Post
    I to am right handed left eyed. I was taught to focus on the front sight with target out of focus. I do turn my head to the right to bring my left eye in front of the gun. I am taking a class "Defensive Handgun" first week of March and am hoping to get some tips on how to deal with right handed left eyed. I will pass on if you wish.
    Sure would appreciate it as I haven't found a foolproof method to compensate!! As long as the target is close (5-10 yards)
    NRA Member
    Ruger LC9
    Taurus PT92 AF
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (2)
    If you are going to shoot at Mimes, should you use a silencer?? ( Steven Wright)

I regularly train using both hands as in one handed and two handed manner of hold.

I am right eye dominant while being nearly completely ambidextrous by brain (runs in the family on my dads side and off to my daughter)...I comfortably throw, bat, and fight using either hand as my lead; And have trained to shoot as well as at times shot IDPA matches dedicated to my left hand this way for over a decade.
    The only conventional things I cannot do lefty is to write with a pencil/pen, and touch type (I don't hunt 'n peck) to which no matter how hard I try I always will lead with my right.

Below is what I do toward myself when shooting left handed with my right eye dominance, and when working with others of same who are naturally so.
    It is very simple and immediately effective as in down range on paper results.

It all comes down to; Natural Point of Aim (NPoA).
    What is that? It is the manner in which you align your _body_ to a target as by alignment using visual input by either eye, most commonly being the dominant eye.

How do I learn how to find my NPoA?
    I could detail it or save myself the time and have you watch this excellent video...

Finding your natural point of aim
    YouTube - Finding your natural point of aim

Take note that he speak toward "indexing your body" as in relation tot he intended target.
    This is a basic construct among point shooting including making accurate shots WITHOUT having any reference of a guns sights much less a 'sight picture'.

So once you for your own self have found your natural point of aim (no gun required), pick out a target at some moderately distant range such as a small picture on a wall at 15 to 20' away from your face.
    Now with your intended gun hand, lets say my left, point your finger at the target with both eyes open. Assuming you are right eye dominant as I am, while still pointing at the target CLOSE your RIGHT eye. Doing this will result in your LEFT HAND being visible to your LEFT EYE view as being approximately three knuckles width out of _alignment_ relative to the target. By my hand that distance is 2.25" inches measured right now by my caliper.
    Everyones own hand and by that degree of measured error will be different, as relative to hand size AND spacing of our own eyes as from each other.

If you are still with me, continue.
    If not...STOP here and REPEAT the exercise above. Do it standing up on two feet, not seated in your chair at home/work.

Now all that you have to do to compensate and counteract this localized parallax is to revise your NPoA to be specific to this condition.
    To do so you very simply move in this case your left foot directly rearward AND _slowly_ adjust your right foot directly forward until with your left hand still pointing at the target and your left eye closed the tip of your left index finger is at not the center of the target but rather just left of center, I'd say 3/4" left.

Why go past center?
    Because you'll be holding a firearm of a given barrel thickness firing an object from within it's bore in a relatively straight line. The sights on that gun will be off set by one half the width of the barrel, and that is why you need to add in a little offset to the left for this NPoA exercise.

Once you have found your own personal NPoA as related to firing cross eye dominant; In this case left eye to right hand, you then confirm the rough sight in with a volley of three confirmation shots.
    Typically i will have a student do this exclusively with my BB pistol or a .22 for sake of them being low recoil AND to reduce most all other shooter induced errors as in relation to shooter fine accuracy.

Your shots if you have good command of all other shooting basics will be on target within a 3" square or less grouping.
    If they are not AND you are sure you have good command of how to properly grip a gun, assess sight picture, align sights and to toggle the trigger as by way of trigger control...
    Then at this point once again review your NPoA as if you are hitting right of center your bore by body alignment is misaligned not _left_ enough. If your hits are too the right then that means you over aligned and need to revise your footing, as by STANCE, to correct to the right.
    It should take no longer than 10minutes and I'd say five volleys of three at fifteen shots to locate and confirm your NPoA, with a handgun at a target set 21' distant.

The rest is simply mind and body training through practice until this becomes ingrained into your wet cell as a sub-routine, and becomes part of your physical bodys muscle memory.

Humans regularly drive vehicles, ride bicycles, throw & catch balls as well as point accurately at objects distant with great accuracy while doing so with eyes that are not on the same focal plane as our primary hand. This is very normal.
    To be able to fire a gun is no different...If you understand the basic principles of how to _properly_ shoot a gun; Which includes Natural Point of Aim.

For those to whom the term NPoA is new and unfamiliar, I would encourage you to take a course on firearm dynamics with emphasis on shooting for accuracy.

I have had students with this item comment to me that others have advised they wear an occluder (eye patch) wear a darkened lens shooting glassess, smear Vaseline on one lens and even to tape closed their eye lid. Ridiculous.
    There is no need for any of this...And real world if you had need to defend yourself against a threat, the threat will not allow you time to smear Vaseline on your glasses or pop out one of your contacts to artificially REDUCE your visual picture by 100% (one whole eye is removed from the normal sight picture whole).

This is an easy item to overcome.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by g1911 View Post
    I to am right handed left eyed. I was taught to focus on the front sight with target out of focus.
    This is no different for anyone else, regardless of eye dominance or hand used to hold the gun.

1) With both eyes open, LOOK at the target....OMG! there goes DEEBO! and he's got a pitbull, as they both are running at me showing teeth.
    This is the first step in defensive use of a firearm; Assessing the target to be a THREAT.
    If you don't know who 'Deebo' is then go to YouTube and type in "Deebo".

2) Draw and align the gun toward the threat using body alignment, if and when physically able (i.e. when standing) as per time allowance.
    By this alone a _practiced_ shooter, including point shooters, can successfully with intent hit a man sized target at 21' in the torso with every shot fired as directed.

3) Align the gun toward the threat off of your own bodys center line, as a reference point, using coarse muscle memory alignment by way of past training and practiced learning through repetition as proprioception.
    By this too a _practiced_ shooter, including point shooters, can successfully with intent hit a man sized target at 21' in the mid to upper torso with every shot fired as directed.

4) Align the outline of gun with your reference eye (which ever is available with a clear and useful sight picture).
    By this as well a _practiced_ shooter, including point shooters, can successfully with intent hit a man sized target at 21' in the mid to upper torso with every shot fired as directed.

5) Align the FRONT sight of the gun with your reference eye (which ever is available with a clear and useful sight picture) as toward the targets vitals at the upper chest along the line bisecting the nipples and above.
    Initially the threat will be your focus clear and sharp superimposed by a fuzzy front sight.
    Quickly change FOCUS to look through the REAR sight as at the now clear FRONT sight, superimposed on a fuzzy background threat, to confirm/correct both elevation and drift/windage (X & Y axis input).
    Upon near instant confirmation and/or correction of the sight alignment (less than one second effort & brain calculation) , toggle the trigger as to FIRE!
    Repeat a second time because like Hallmark cards, you care to give the very best.
    Quickly change focus to assess the threat as being stopped/neutralized, or dissuaded (retreating).
    By this as well a _practiced_ shooter can successfully with intent hit a man sized target at 21' in the mid to upper torso or even the head with every shot fired as aimed.

None of this is dependent on which hand holds the gun and pulls the trigger, nor which eye is used to see the threat and reference sights.
    A person who is right eye dominant may find them self that day with their glasses knocked off in a scruff...You use which ever eye affords the better/best sight picture. A person like myself might in the heat of combat blink wrongly and lose a contact (it happens) or even suffer injury and have blood/sweat in my eye...Or worst be wounded in some way that would make use of my dominant eye impossible.
    Now what? Lay down and die? Panic? Pray to God to smite Deebo and his pitbull into pillars of sand? Dial 911, and wait for Batman and Robo-Cop to come make a report...Over coffee, donuts and your dying/dead body?

Nope.

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.
    As well train by your strengths while working to improve your weaknesses.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Learning some good point shooting skills is worthwhile for anyone, regardless of their vision.
    This is excellent advice. The less you have to rely on anything but instincts, the better. Muscle memory.

Sorta like shooting a free throw. That's the way I like to think of it. Look at the rim, not the ball....

and I'm right-handed and left-eye dominant, too

Havethe same problem...I open both eyes but use an isoceles stance but simply bring gun over to left eye. I dont turn head or cant gun any I simply move gun to left until my eye meets the front sight.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

What I've found that works best for me is to tilt my head slightly to the right. If one were to draw an imaginary line vertically through my head the line would be at about the 1:30 o'clock position when I shoot. I've also canted my pistol to the 11:00 o'clock position in the past. I'm not sure what happened, but I just naturally began tilting my head and it seems to work. Interestingly, when i shoot left handed, I cant the gun to about the 1:30 o'clock position and leave my head vertical.
    --
    I am no longer LEO, never .MIL. I am .DAD and my attitude will reflect that.

Links