Man acquitted in NYC; caught with legal FL gun

This is a discussion on Man acquitted in NYC; caught with legal FL gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Florida landscaper who left loaded handgun inside pickup truck acquitted of NYC gun charges A Florida landscaper was acquitted Thursday of violating New York's tough ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man acquitted in NYC; caught with legal FL gun

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Florida landscaper who left loaded handgun inside pickup truck acquitted of NYC gun charges

A Florida landscaper was acquitted Thursday of violating New York's tough gun laws by leaving a loaded handgun in his pickup truck's glove box when he drove to the city to help a girlfriend move.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

that was a close one, he got lucky

Yeah he definitely lucked out. I was amazed that he said he has "nothing against" the city. I would be disgusted and never want to return.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    And the last comment seemed to infer he would have an uphill battle getting his gun back.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    A new gun will be cheaper than the legal fees to get the old one back.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

A 30,000$ 'mistake'. Good thing he wasn't on my side of the Hudson.
    Here in Jersey, he'd have been doing 7 years of hard time on top of the 5 figure fine.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

There was a line used in the paper the other day. I will find it . It basically said "Mr Ryan made a mistake and is not even a member of the NRA"

VIP Member
    Sounds like the jury is not in favor of the laws and went activist. Clearly he broke the law, with intent or not, he had a gun where it was illegal to have it. Maybe the people of NY should express to their hired reps what their will is. Votes matter.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Dude basically won the lottery is what happened here.

He broke not just NY state laws but NYC bylaws AND Federal interstate firearm transportation laws AND the laws of multiple states that he'd had to drive through along the way as coming from FLA to get to NYC.

Further he's shown himself to be an irresponsible gun owner at that;

Ryan, who had the weapon legally registered in Florida, testified that stored the gun in his truck more than two years ago and simply forgot it was there.
    He owns a gun and FORGOT where he placed it and for that matter FORGOT that he actually owned such gun!
    The police and prosecutors were right in that 'forgot' is no kind of defense at all. , even as he has no prior convictions as do many people who commit serious crimes purposefully or inadvertently.

Dude literally dodged a bullet.

The jury in this case did the wrong thing.
    As a juror you are supposed to act and judge as within accordance of the law.
    In this case the law is very clear and the jury ignored it. We can't have jurors acting like this in cases...Which is how jurors acted for centurys through American history resulting in many wholly innocent men being charged with crimes and many of guilt being let go.
    That is no good for public safety and the public trust, to which a juror is sworn to uphold.

On the surface this might feel good like yeah a gun owner let off the hook...Yeah a jury thumbs the eye of NYC/NYS law enforcement.
    But really, is this a good thing and is it proper? I say no.
    If you do not like the laws then act to change them AND do not vote in and/or reward by re-vote those who differ from you. VOTE!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Was this a jury or a judge verdict? Not sure tha was made clear in the story.
    Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Quote Originally Posted by Martini13 View Post
    Was this a jury or a judge verdict? Not sure tha was made clear in the story.
    A Manhattan jury apparently believed it was and found Ryan, who had no previous criminal record, not guilty.
    Then at the next sentence...

"I was an innocent man," an emotional Ryan said afterward in his distinct southern drawl. "That is what integrity is all about - you stand your ground."
    I'm like huh? What?
    He was guilty as charged. The jury gave him the biggest hall pass he'll ever see in life, and from that he goes on to grandstand and crow. WT....! Integrity?!

Integrity is not forgetting you own and by that effectively losing your gun.
    And it is obeying all state and FEDERAL laws as well.
    Integrity includes being humble and thankful recognizing that you've been offered a second chance, which is rare in life overall muchless as specific to NY gun laws and prosecution.

Stand yer ground about what...Very clearly being in the wrong? :huh:

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Dude basically won the lottery is what happened here.

He broke not just NY state laws but NYC bylaws AND Federal interstate firearm transportation laws AND the laws of multiple states that he'd had to drive through along the way as coming from FLA to get to NYC.

Further he's shown himself to be an irresponsible gun owner at that;

He owns a gun and FORGOT where he placed it and for that matter FORGOT that he actually owned such gun!
    The police and prosecutors were right in that 'forgot' is no kind of defense at all. , even as he has no prior convictions as do many people who commit serious crimes purposefully or inadvertently.

Dude literally dodged a bullet.

The jury in this case did the wrong thing.
    As a juror you are supposed to act and judge as within accordance of the law.
    In this case the law is very clear and the jury ignored it. We can't have jurors acting like this in cases...Which is how jurors acted for centurys through American history resulting in many wholly innocent men being charged with crimes and many of guilt being let go.
    That is no good for public safety and the public trust, to which a juror is sworn to uphold.

On the surface this might feel good like yeah a gun owner let off the hook...Yeah a jury thumbs the eye of NYC/NYS law enforcement.
    But really, is this a good thing and is it proper? I say no.
    If you do not like the laws then act to change them AND do not vote in and/or reward by re-vote those who differ from you. VOTE!

- Janq
    Firstly, I just want to say that I can agree with almost everything you have said here. This was one lucky guy. He DID break the law. I honestly can say that I am glad to see the jury use some common sense and not waste tax dollars to lock up a guy for a simple mistake. Because that is most definitely what could have happened - and the jury must have believed this, too. Some laws can be incidentally and accidentally broken. I know that you can't make that excuse in just any situation. There would be chaos if our judicial system worked that way. However, some laws have far too strict of punishments. Did this guy break the law? Yes. Is he a criminal who should be thrown in jail because of it? Personally, I feel he should not. Fined? Most definitely. I know, as a firearm owner, that one must be careful, know the laws, and abide by them. Anyone can make a mistake, though.

Lotus I can go with you on that latter point.

A penalty of a stiff fine as rather than jail time assessed might be appropriate.
    I personally would get behind that in this mans specifically as stated case and his situational condition.

BUT...A jury does not assign penalty, that is what either law by state minimum mandatorys do and/or that of a judge.
    A jury is tasked to assess and judge toward guilt or innocence singular of a given charge. That is all.
    They are not among the penalty phase, which comes _after_ being found guilty of a given charge.

Is he a criminal, yes. He very clearly and egregiously broke multiple laws.
    Is he a 'convicted criminal'? No.

Anyone can make a mistake such burning popcorn or selecting reverse on their truck when meaning to choose drive.
    But this is much more than burnt popcorn or a scratched bumper.
    There are mistakes and there is irresponsibility.

This is no different than that US hunting trip guy from last year who packed up for a trip to Russia and brought along his rifle (checked bag) AND with that a box of ammunition (!) among IIRC his carry on across an international flight and then took that through three nations borders (US, UK, and Russia) before being stopped in Russia by their own security.
    Dude said same that he 'forgot' and it was a mistake. Yeah, that may be...But forgot and mistake are no excuse to break not exactly obscure laws.
    Here at this site nobody thought anything but guilty as charged toward him, even as he too is likely a nice guy and has no prior criminal record.
    Same thing here in this latest case.

I personally don't own any guns that I can forget I own or where I might have stored them.
    That is a mistake and degree of forgetfulness I just do not comprehend. It's not like losing your pen or a hammer...It's a firearm, and multiple state & federal laws.

- Janq

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    In order to be properly guilty of a crime you must have criminal intent. That is not my personal opinion. That is the law and the jury would have been charged to that effect.

I do not believe the jury felt this guy had criminal intent. That is most probably why they acquitted him.

Correct and agreed Chad...Very likely that is what they based their decision on.

But how many times have we seen other crimes convicted (regardless of subject matter) where the intent was nebulous at best.

I didn't intend to kill my friend/wife/GF/roommate; Even as I pointed a loaded firearm at said person as a 'joke'/gun instructional exercise/to scare them and then BOOM! the gun just went off.

I didn't intend to shoot the grandma who was sitting on her porch reading the Bible as I chased tow guys who had just robbed me of my watch and I chased them on foot through city streets as they fled (!) in their car and to that I fired at them but _missed_ them instead hitting an uninvolved third party who was among the background. [Taken directly from an incident last fall featured here at DC.com in the G/B/U sub-forum where everyone agreed the victimized shooter should be charged with a crime as per the laws of that state]

I didn't intend to kill my passenger when I was driving at extra legal speeds at night in the rain doing 60 on a 35 mph off ramp in a curve on bald summer tires as neither of us were wearing our seat belts even as the car I drove had a bright red indicator for as much in the gauge pack which I wholly ignored.

I didn't intend to take the money from my employer/investors and not return it, before being caught.

There is criminal intent and there is criminal act as by negligence and even not knowing (law or conditions).
    But very much generally ignorance of the law is not an excusable defense.

- Janq

Edit:
    Lesson to take away from this is DO NOT do this.
    Know the laws of the states you intend to drive through and/or visit. Florida is not New York state. Miami is not NYC.
    Further know the federal firearm interstate transport laws. They are pretty easy.
    As well do not be 'forgetting' about guns you may own and where they might be stowed; Be it in a glove box or stuffed under a seat...Neither of which makes much sense being that it's a difficult place to reach in an emergency AND if you do happen to actually need it and it's _forgotten_ well then what good is that?
    On body carry FTnotforgottenW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links