Another 'which is better?' question

This is a discussion on Another 'which is better?' question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm also looking to purchase a 22 rim-fire rifle for plinking, small-game, and possible (but unlikely) defensive scenarios. I'm leaning toward the Marlin 795ss which ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another 'which is better?' question

Another 'which is better?' question

I'm also looking to purchase a 22 rim-fire rifle for plinking, small-game, and possible (but unlikely) defensive scenarios.
    I'm leaning toward the Marlin 795ss which is a 10 round external mag auto over against Marlin's model 60 which has a 14-round tubular magazine.
    Things I'm curious about include: reliability, time required to reload, the design, etc.
    I'm also looking at the Ruger 10/22...but since I'm not looking to accessorize, it's second on my list due to quality concerns in the newer models.
    Does the 10/22 also come in external mag-fed and tubular-fed models?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts and first-hand experiences.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

2. Remove Ads

Both the Marlin's are excellent rimfires and either will do you justice for the applications you posted. I like the external mag just for the purpose of being able to buy more mags and have the ability to quickly reload if necessary.

My dad's old Marlin model 70 (I think) is a bolt action with the ten round mag. I bought four or five more WAY back when and carried them with me in the woods when hunting, plinking whatever.
    I also have an old Remington Nylon 66 (tube mag) semi-auto too. A FUN gun to plink and hunt with and I can reload it pretty quick.....but I have a lot of practice/experience with it as well.

Again, either gun will do ya good.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Here is my small game getter and plinker. Savage Mark II-BV

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...EMARKIIBV1.jpg
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

The magazine fed will be more accurate and easier to reload. If you think it may be a defensive weapon move up to a 22 mag.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

The 10/22 only uses the magazine which installs on the underside of the receiver - no tube magazine is available. The OEM mag holds 10 rounds and sits flush; the aftermarket offers numerous options with greater capacity, although often with reduced reliability.

I'll admit I'm a big 10/22 fan, and I do prefer the detachable magazine over the tube-style primarily because it loads - and unloads - faster. Don't sweat the use of plastics "cheapening" in the newest models; everyone is struggling to take cost out of low-cost guns. My newest "built" 10/22 has the plastic trigger housing, and I can't tell the difference in performance or wear between it and its older, all-metal siblings.

I think there's more of a difference in the feel of both guns than in their quality. The Marlins typically run longer barrels whereas the Rugers are mostly 18.5"-barrel carbines. The Ruger stock is also quite wide right behind the receiver, which might be uncomfortable for some shooters. Also, if you're not scoping the gun, the 10/22 rear sight is a bit vague as to where the front bead should sit - at the bottom of the V, or level with the 'ears'? Just one more thing to consider.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    The magazine fed will be more accurate and easier to reload. If you think it may be a defensive weapon move up to a 22 mag.
    And what, pray tell, makes a "magazine-fed" rifle more accurate" I may be incorrect here, but most sniper rifles aren't "mag" fed. Easier to reload? Sure.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    And what, pray tell, makes a "magazine-fed" rifle more accurate" I may be incorrect here, but most sniper rifles aren't "mag" fed. Easier to reload? Sure.

I was wondering that too

How reliable are the 10/22's with respect to FTFs, FTEs, etc.
    My past .22 rifles were jamamatics.
    (Don't remember the models...it's been so long ago. And it might have been a lack of maintenance...I don't remember ever cleaning them.)
    I've read the Marlins tend to be more accurate, is that fair?
    BTW... that Savage Mark II-BV is beautiful. If I were looking for a bolt-action, it'd be at the top of my list.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member
    I'd go with the Marlin model 60. It's been around for years and has proven itself to be a reliable gun.

As to FTF problems, your going to find that with almost any .22 rim fire. You'll need to experiment to see what your particular gun likes. The .22 has never been known as a reliable firing round, it's just the nature of the cartridge. My Marlin 75C eats anything I feed it. My Ruger Mark II will only function reliably with CCI Mini Mags.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

"Nose to butt" in a tubular magazine, tube loose enough to not align perfectly, under spring load, more contorted path from tube to chamber, with the light case & crimp of a rimfire, offers far more opportunities for bullet deformation and altered seating. Some rimfires I've owned almost tortured the cartridges, if unloaded without firing I've felt it necessary to dispose of some.

With the stack of a magazine the cartridges are stacked side by side, so less potential for abuse of the seating etc. Feed is also more a straight line, although if the feed ramp is steep there's still chances for deformation.

About impossible to prove that magazine feed offers better accuracy than tubular feed, bigger variables are trigger and barrel. Deformed cartridges would seem more likely to result in fliers....

My magazine loaders have universally been more accurate, but again they've tended to be higher quality rifles with better triggers and barrels. But, given a choice I'll take a magazine feed over tubular, at least seems inherently more likely to get accuracy when cartridges are side by side instead of "kissing butt"....

Probably less of an issue with centerfire, especially if not ballistic tip cartridges, but I don't own any tubular CF to compare.

Opinion, don't have any science to back it up, but at least logical in my little mind to think magazine feed might be more accurate for the reasons stated.

I've had a 10/22 for years. It is reliable as long as it's relatively clean.

I've shot thousands of rounds through it, and so it can get dirty. It will malfunction when it gets real hot, which happens a lot when using high capacity magazines. But, if you clean it after each use it should function fine.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    The reliability was another reason I went with the Savage. Magazine fed bolt action. Not had any jams with it yet
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    I still think the 10/22 is the best all around .22 semi auto out there. It can do everything reasonably well, and you can modify it to your liking. It can be a AR style plinker or a tack driving machine- whatever suits your tastes.
    Dollar for dollar out of the box quality and accuracy is the CZ bolts.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The advantage (if it means anything to your needs) of a tubular fed over and magazine is the ability to use Shorts as well as Long Rifles. About the only other Semi Auto I can think of ( and I have one of) that has that is the Remington Speedmaster (now only made in the deluxe finish). I have one of these. Its finicky about some ammo and runs real good on others. Even can find some shorts it likes pretty well.

Think about it..mag fed= no tube hanging off the barrel, the OP mentions the model 60 which is tube fed. There is a reason to free float a barrel, and tube fed are impossible to free float.
    Now as far as sniper rifles go..bolt is better than semi automatic... and no there are no tube fed sniper rifles that I have ever seen.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links