Well darn, this hurt real bad.

This is a discussion on Well darn, this hurt real bad. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So fussing around with trying to find a comfortable position on my new Crossbreed SuperTuck I managed to put a nice lil scratch on my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well darn, this hurt real bad.

Well darn, this hurt real bad.

So fussing around with trying to find a comfortable position on my new Crossbreed SuperTuck I managed to put a nice lil scratch on my new M&P 40. Have no idea in heck how I did, but talk about feeling bad. I know these are tools, but its just like a car; you know its gonna get scratched at some point but it always happens sooner than you want and it drives you nuts when it happens.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Real guns wear their marks proudly, safe queens are always pristine.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That's one of the reasons I am glad I went with a G19. Tough enough to take it, cheap enough to not worry, and ugly enough that no one will notice.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Forscythe87 View Post
    So fussing around with trying to find a comfortable position on my new Crossbreed SuperTuck I managed to put a nice lil scratch on my new M&P 40. Have no idea in heck how I did, but talk about feeling bad. I know these are tools, but its just like a car; you know its gonna get scratched at some point but it always happens sooner than you want and it drives you nuts when it happens.
    New boat; new truck, new gun; when they finally get that first mark I am always a bit relieved!

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Scratched the slide on my new Springfield the first time I cleaned it. You kinda have a sick feeling and the little scratch looks like its the size of a Buick to me. I too have reconciled with the "its a tool" mentality. I carry it every day, its bound to get nicked up a little.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Administrator
    When you purchase a brand new vehicle the very first thing that you should do on your way home from the dealership is slam a shopping cart into the side of it in the supermarket parking lot.
    Then you don't hafta fret over it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    When you purchase a brand new vehicle the very first thing that you should do on your way home from the dealership is slam a shopping cart into the side of it in the supermarket parking lot.
    Then you don't hafta fret over it anymore.
    Great Advise!! Ding = No more worry
    NRA Member
    Ruger LC9
    Taurus PT92 AF
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (2)
    If you are going to shoot at Mimes, should you use a silencer?? ( Steven Wright)

VIP Member
    Speaking as a middle-aged member - mid 50s - it used to really tick me off when I got the first mark on a car, gun, etc. I have mellowed with age and I suspect most of us do. When I bought my current truck (used), it already had a dent in the front bumper where the original owner must have hit a pole. I used that dent to negotiate the price down and had no intention of fixing it. It does not impact the performance of the truck, so it just sits there.

I also put "the scratch" on my Springer Loaded (avatar) the first time I cleaned it - before I even shot it. I knew that this was going to eventually happen, so I did not worry about it. I had read about different ways to not put this scratch in, but figured that sooner or later, I would slip up and get the nice little scratch. It is there, but like the bumper on my truck, it does nothing to keep the gun from working as it should.

Cars and guns are tools and tools will show wear and tear. Now when I was the OP's age, I would have been mad, stressed and generally not pleasant to be around until some time went by. I like myself better now and the way I handle these little issues. This change did, however, only come with age, experience and perspective.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I don't feel like a gun is really mine until I mark it somehow. just like a car the sooner it happens the easier it is.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    I marked my current truck with deer blood. I had it about two months and it was still pristine when deer season rolled around. I went on a road trip to NoVa and bagged a nice buck. Somehow I got blood all over one of my pant legs and I didn't notice it (big heavy insulated camo pants). I got the buck in the back and i climbed into my shiny new truck oblivious to the mess. About ten minutes later my hand brushed up against something wet and when I looked I was shocked. I had gotten deer blood all over the door upholstery and ALL over the drivers seat and carpet. The only thing I could think was "Oh well, it's a truck".
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Gives it character, my favorite gun is one of my scratched up 1911's tons of holster wear it looks like its been places and has a few stories.

Yeah, while reading this, I removed the 1911 from my side and looked at it. Now it has some age on it, but it looks like it has seen 7 cities and hell was the best one. Hey, that is the life of my guns......rode hard and put up wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Forscythe87 View Post
    Find yourself a black permanent sharpie to touch it up, they have them at the LGS but there like five dollars. The first one is always the one that hurts the most.

Holster wear is something easy to live with. I understand the OP's distress over a ding. I also have a SA Loaded with the "scratch". Pained me to no end when I did it and still does to some extent. Although I am another "middle-aged" poster, you're all helping me get over the stigma of one of my 1911's having that idiot thing. Live and learn, huh? Then I look at the 3 CZ's I picked up that are 40+ years old, blueing worn off, scratches galore, minor surface rust in areas and ya know what? They still function perfectly. And look darn good doing it. So? Firearms are made to be used. Fired, carried, ......fondled? It's all good.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

One of several reasons I like buying previously broken-in handguns. No worries. Already broken in, scratched, worn, and ready to be carried with no such worries. I bought a used RIA 1911 GI that already had "the scratch" on it and the previous owner (forum member here) had put 1,000 rounds through it. It runs like a sewing machine. I also have a 1960 S&W 49 that has tons of character...looks like it has been there and done that. Lockup is like new and the trigger is firm but smooth. Buying a pre-owned one takes the newness pressure off.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links