The future of the 10mm?

This is a discussion on The future of the 10mm? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Cant add anything other than whats been said, only personal opinions from years of use. I believe it is here to stay, however, it really ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The future of the 10mm?

Cant add anything other than whats been said, only personal opinions from years of use. I believe it is here to stay, however, it really is a speciality cartridge. As a self defense cartridge, it really offers no real advantage over the 40 S&W , 45acp or 9mm. Although it easily outclasses these in the raw energy levels it generates, the trade off in comparison to price and size of gun, either in size or weight built to handle the cartridge are in my opinion not worth it. However, if a person decides to own just one pistol to use for all things, then this is the best choice.

It excels in the field with the power falling between a hot, heavy 357, and the low range of the 41 mag. But it is no 41 mag.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post

Which the 10mm or the Glock ?

The existent problem with handgun calibers is that they are very limited in power.

The 10mm is approaching energies that previously were only had in large revolvers. Making it a very versatile caliber/cartridge useful for defense against both biped and quadruped aggressors.

Unless I'm totally missing the point somewhere...
    There are plenty of handguns out there that are great for biped defense and very few of us have enough close encounters with critters to need the mediocre power and poor bullet choices (where dangerous animals are concerned) in our EDC.

Also, if we are going to hunt, we will get a caliber and platform that is better suited to hunt. I have handgun hunted since the inception of the 10mm and have not one time considered it as an option for a hunting handgun caliber that I would hunt with nor have I ever wanted to use the Glock or any semi auto handgun as a platform for a hunting handgun.

Jwarren, you are entitled to your opinion. I have handgun hunted since I was 10 years old, and have used almost every caliber commonly carried for SD on deer sized game. For those who desire to hunt with a semi auto, the 10mm is the very best option for common production pistol and cartridge.

If you do not think the ammo selection is good, you may want to do some homework here.
    Additionally, it makes an unbeatable sidearm for trail use or other outdoor activity where versatility is desired, boasting capacity, power, and in the Glock platform, care free maintenance in bad weather.
    Self defense is self defense regardless of how many legs the threat walks on.

The 10mm is a good round. I have the Delta Elite. Carrys just like a 45 ACP 1911. I tend to stock pile ammo and brass for mine. I also have a BARSTO 40 cal barrell for it. If you hand load it is about as versatile as any semi auto round out there. As with any round that is not mainstream, expect to shop for bargins on ammo. I have waited quite awhile for brass. Most 10mm rounds are loaded to 40 cal performance levels.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Jwarren, you are entitled to your opinion. I have handgun hunted since I was 10 years old, and have used almost every caliber commonly carried for SD on deer sized game. For those who desire to hunt with a semi auto, the 10mm is the very best option for common production pistol and cartridge.

If you do not think the ammo selection is good, you may want to do some homework here.
    Additionally, it makes an unbeatable sidearm for trail use or other outdoor activity where versatility is desired, boasting capacity, power, and in the Glock platform, care free maintenance in bad weather.
    Self defense is self defense regardless of how many legs the threat walks on.

Yes, and with all of these virtues (I mean this caliber and platform have it all), 8 out of 10 gun shops do not stock them.

Kind of makes me think that I am not the only one that feels like this.

"But it is no 41 mag."

You're right. The 10mm isn't quite there though its best loads are pretty potent and it could be fun for performance handloading.

I was intending to compare it's marketplace performance to .41 Magnum rather than its ballistic performance.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    It seems to be the solution to a non-existent problem.
    You mean a superior caliber in a reliable package. I suppose if you are one of those 1911 fan boys who cannot embrace modern technology and capacity. Carry what you want, nobody is stopping you.

Yes, and with all of these virtues (I mean this caliber and platform have it all), 8 out of 10 gun shops do not stock them.

Kind of makes me think that I am not the only one that feels like this.
    I don't know about your area but up around here I can walk into any LGS and pick up range and full power ammo. I also hit 3 LGS's pricing a G-20 when I bought mine and could have walked out of any one of them with the gun. I also dropped a feral hog down behind my house and must say he didn't get to far, maybe 25-30 ft

I have a Glock 29 and a Glock 20 ; both are great to shoot. The only problem or complaint i have ever had about 10mm is the lack of lead free frangible ammo. Some schools (such as Thunder Ranch), require LF frangible and i wasn't able to find a dependable supply in 10mm. You might need to use a different caliber for a class. Otherwise, the round, and the Glock platform for it are outstanding

The 10mm is a freight train. Great round, Tha I will probably will buy in the form of a g20 SF. Uncle Ted shoots it, so it must be good and right. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    You mean a superior caliber in a reliable package. I suppose if you are one of those 1911 fan boys who cannot embrace modern technology and capacity. Carry what you want, nobody is stopping you.
    My comment was concerning what you said about the 29.

It must be Glock's least popular handgun as I know none of the dealers anywhere around here stock it and a trip over to Gunbroker turned up a total of 6 listed. When checking other Glock models, there were least 5 times as many of any other model that I searched.

So, while it may be a fine firearm, it ain't very popular.

That is why I said "It seems to be the solution to a non-existent problem."

I haven't bought ammo in a gunshop since I got a computer.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

My comment was concerning what you said about the 29.

It must be Glock's least popular handgun as I know none of the dealers anywhere around here stock it and a trip over to Gunbroker turned up a total of 6 listed. When checking other Glock models, there were least 5 times as many of any other model that I searched.

So, while it may be a fine firearm, it ain't very popular.

That is why I said "It seems to be the solution to a non-existent problem."
    That is because just like the .357 magnum j frames, people whine and complain about recoil.... they just can't handle it. There was a round made for those people, 40 short and weak. It is very popular, and IMHO THAT was a solution to a non existent problem. Must be all the hormones that are in the public drinking water. How much more versatile can you get having a 10mm cartridge in 10/15/20 round configurations?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I haven't bought ammo in a gunshop since I got a computer.
    +1

Ammunition To Go gets most of my business as they usually have what I need and their prices are fair as is their shipping.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The G29 shortage may not be its' lack of popularity. Could it be it's becoming more popular?. The gun shop I deal with says they sell them as fast as they come in. Granted not the most popular handgun from Glock but it seems the 10mm is getting a bigger following lately.

I get my range ammo from Georgia Arms 20 bucks per 50. Not bad.
    SD rounds are from either Swampfox, Buffalo Bore or Doubletap.

Their stuff isn't cheap but after you run several mags through your gun to test reliability you only buy enough for SD use IMO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links