Is it Just Me, Or Is Putting Flutes On A Handgun Barrel a Dumb Idea?? -- Photos

This is a discussion on Is it Just Me, Or Is Putting Flutes On A Handgun Barrel a Dumb Idea?? -- Photos within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here are some photos of the new Browning Buckmark Pro Target Light pistol. Is it just me, or is putting flutes on a handgun's barrel ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Here are some photos of the new Browning Buckmark Pro Target Light pistol.

Is it just me, or is putting flutes on a handgun's barrel just an ugly and dumb idea??

What do you think? Would you buy this pistol?

This looks so very wrong to me. Maybe I am too old-fashioned and not hip enough.

I am with you on this. If they are doing it for weight purposes, there are better ways, like thinning the whole barrel a touch. It just seems like a solution to a problem that never existed. Seems like all manner of crap will get into the edges of those making it more difficult to clean. It doesn't win on the cool factor in my book either.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Actually they have made aftermarket barrels for that are colored and fluted for Ruger mark 1 2 and 3 pistols for awhile,I think it looks sexy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Kind of put it in the same boat as this.....

Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member
    I think fluting can look classy or trashy depending on the gun and how it is done. I particularly like it on the Smith 640 although I don't feel it is worth the extra cash - so I didn't go with the fluted model.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Knightrider - the serrations in the forward end of that slide are there to assist with racking; they are not decorative per se. Depending on the strength of the springs and hand positioning used, a user might want more traction on the forward end.

For example, people with strong hands and grip can usually slingshot that kind of slide, but those with less power might need to use the "shoulderblade" trick, which can require holding the forward end of the slide.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

No, I wouldn't buy that pistol, but I can see me buying this pistol
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    I think it's OK. Now a red dot on a Glock, I think that is really silly.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I don't know. I admit that Ruger looks better than this Browning. But flutes still seem a bit strange to me.

Lots of styling gimmicks on firearms. Sort of like the vent rib on the Colt Python. Which serves the same purpose as tail fins on '59 Cadillacs.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

You know, fluting is kinda like the tail fins on the 50's and 60's cars. Just what's "in" at the time.

It is said by some a barrel cools down faster with fluting, but who tries to shoot 50 shots in 10 seconds?
    I will admit there is some occasions when fluting can be useful. If you have ever went prairie dog hunting, you do know you can shoot two or three hundred shots in a day.

The market tries to produce items that the customer likes/wants. If you like it, go ahead and get it.
    I do agree some guns look better with fluting, but IMHO the fluting works about as good as the tail fins helped steer the old cars.
    Last edited by rglyons; March 6th, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar

Question

As I understand it the flutes in a barrel are supposed to dissipate heat better so the barrel cools down faster. It gives more surface area that the air can flow around and remove heat. Does it work? I don't know. To me it seems as though they would weaken the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I think fluting can look classy or trashy depending on the gun and how it is done. I particularly like it on the Smith 640 although I don't feel it is worth the extra cash - so I didn't go with the fluted model.

I believe that S&W Pro Series Model 640 that had flutes failed very miserably in the market. I've seen the S&W factory pics of it, but never seen any pics from anyone saying that they actually bought it. It is no longer in the S&W lineup, and it would probably be about impossible to find one even used, so few were made.

S&W should fire the product manager that thought that gun up. Flutes on a Snub Nose? Dumb.

The only weapon I have ever seen where fluting served a useful purpose would be the Clovis Spear Point. However, the folks that used this weapon have not been seen lately, oh in about 25,000 years.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Yuck! The barrel lug doesn't even mate with the frame on that Pro Series Model 640. Looks like some mongrel revolver cobbled together in someone's garage. It really needed to fail. It's too hideous to spend big money to acquire.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links