Tarus PT 24/7 jams/misfires - Page 2

Tarus PT 24/7 jams/misfires

This is a discussion on Tarus PT 24/7 jams/misfires within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Did you clean it before you shot it?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tarus PT 24/7 jams/misfires

VIP Member
    Did you clean it before you shot it?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Has anyone other than yourself shot the gun? Did they have the same problems.

Oh and reading through my first post, just call me an idiot for asking the caliber. duh.

I have not had any issues with any of the ammo I have shot through mine. The one exception being some reloads that were on the light side. Every once in a while I would have a ejection issue because they didn't have enough powder. Made for good clearing drills, the next batch got .2 grains more powder and fixed that. That is my fault, not the guns.

Give the gun a very good cleaning, try some 124 gr ammo, and get a good tight high grip and lets us know what happens, or what Taurus says.
    no worries about asking the caliber, I miss read stuff and over looking things all the time, lol
    I was the only one that fired it, but its been cleaned Ill pick up different ammo with 124 gr, we are going shooting on sun, so Ill see if that does anything, and Im going to try and call Taurus tomorrow and see what they say

Make sure you clean the chamber good. Manufacturers use more of a preservative than a lubricant, after a few rounds,heat and burnt powder it acts more like fly paper than oil. It's really hard to void the warranty on a Taurus,most of their parts are restricted and they wont sell or send them to anyone. You can do the same thing Bass Pro is going to do, which is call Taurus. They'll ask for the serial number and if the gun is less than a year old they'll send FedEx to your house with a label and pick it up. This is like a weekly event for me, I have a TCP going out tomorrow. As a matter of fact when you call dial ext 240 (I think) the girls name is Jesse.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Strap View Post
    Make sure you clean the chamber good. Manufacturers use more of a preservative than a lubricant, after a few rounds,heat and burnt powder it acts more like fly paper than oil. It's really hard to void the warranty on a Taurus,most of their parts are restricted and they wont sell or send them to anyone. You can do the same thing Bass Pro is going to do, which is call Taurus. They'll ask for the serial number and if the gun is less than a year old they'll send FedEx to your house with a label and pick it up. This is like a weekly event for me, I have a TCP going out tomorrow. As a matter of fact when you call dial ext 240 (I think) the girls name is Jesse.
    awesome, thank you..

well I just off the phone with some girl at Taurus, wasnt real comfortable with her, lol but she did say that allowing Bass Pro to work on it will not, void the warrantee, she also said said that they reccomend "standard pressure ammo" when I asked what standard pressure ammo was, she said hold on, she said they reccomend 124gr. ammo.

Since I wasnt real comfortable with her, Im going to call again later, and ask the same questions, but I will try another brand of ammo with a grain of 124, make sure its really clean and lubricated, and we are suppose to fire this weekend, so Ill keep you posted, and I really appreciate all your replies.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Through my classes, I watch a bunch of different guns fired. Taurus guns tend to be less reliable than Hi Point guns. The only thing really worse is Cobra/Jiminez/Bryco/Jennings junk.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Did you clean it before you shot it?
    I'm still waiting. My guess is that the answer is no.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    well I just off the phone with some girl at Taurus, wasnt real comfortable with her, lol but she did say that allowing Bass Pro to work on it will not, void the warrantee, she also said said that they reccomend "standard pressure ammo" when I asked what standard pressure ammo was, she said hold on, she said they reccomend 124gr. ammo.

Since I wasnt real comfortable with her, Im going to call again later, and ask the same questions, but I will try another brand of ammo with a grain of 124, make sure its really clean and lubricated, and we are suppose to fire this weekend, so Ill keep you posted, and I really appreciate all your replies.

Ric I know this has been said and you probibly have but clean the gun real good, every NEW gun I have ever bought has been dirty, the cleaning they get at the factory is laughable at best, I have found metal shavings in 1 gun in the action. Heres what I do any time I clean-- start by using a spray can cleaner(I like remingtons) to blast all the gunk out, then I wipe it all down with hoppes #9 and run a wire brush with a patch covered with H9 down the barrel, before I put it all back together I hit everything with dri-slde the major parts get a slight skim of grease then a good gun oil( for extreme cold I might use silicone instead of oil as it doesnt seem to gum up like oil) then put it all back together and wipe it all down wtih H9 and oil or silicone wipes.

What the lady meant by standard pressure is not using whats known as +p or +p+ rounds, as these are HOTTER loads, which I dont understand as far as I know my wifes pt111 pro is +p rated not that we/she shoots them, we have never had a problem with my wifes(knock on wood), good uck getting this resolved.

also try this site Taurus Armed.net - Index

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'm still waiting. My guess is that the answer is no.
    Sorry, thought I answered that, sorry, yes it was cleaned

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    Ric I know this has been said and you probibly have but clean the gun real good, every NEW gun I have ever bought has been dirty, the cleaning they get at the factory is laughable at best, I have found metal shavings in 1 gun in the action. Heres what I do any time I clean-- start by using a spray can cleaner(I like remingtons) to blast all the gunk out, then I wipe it all down with hoppes #9 and run a wire brush with a patch covered with H9 down the barrel, before I put it all back together I hit everything with dri-slde the major parts get a slight skim of grease then a good gun oil( for extreme cold I might use silicone instead of oil as it doesnt seem to gum up like oil) then put it all back together and wipe it all down wtih H9 and oil or silicone wipes.

What the lady meant by standard pressure is not using whats known as +p or +p+ rounds, as these are HOTTER loads, which I dont understand as far as I know my wifes pt111 pro is +p rated not that we/she shoots them, we have never had a problem with my wifes(knock on wood), good uck getting this resolved.
    awesome, thanks for the detailed answer,, I heard that about the +P rounds

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    also try this site Taurus Armed.net - Index
    Thank you for the link

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Through my classes, I watch a bunch of different guns fired. Taurus guns tend to be less reliable than Hi Point guns. The only thing really worse is Cobra/Jiminez/Bryco/Jennings junk.
    good to know, I wont buy them, lol

GM
    What a surprise that someone is not comfortable with Taurus CS . I hope next time you contact them you have more luck.

I cannot tell about Cobra, but Jiminez/Bryco/Jennings are not firearms, they are paperweights that look like guns
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I have had folks have trouble with Bersa's, Glocks, Rugers, various 1911's, S&W, Taurus, Hi Point and pretty much every other brand out there in our classes. Yea, the Jennings were the worst, but for the other non factory paperweights, when I got the gun and ran it after the student was done shooting, they pretty much all seem to run fine for me.

I think familiarity with handguns and their operation sometimes has alot to do with how guns run no matter what factory they come from.

Hopefully the OP will get it figured out and end up with a gun that runs well.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Well, I have had lots of issues with pistols over the years, and most were solved with a simple "fluff and buff", similar to this: 1911 Fluff and Buff

The worst offender for me was a AMT .45 'Backup', which would jam at least once every magazine. I did a careful F&B a few years back and the gun has never jammed since (with FMJ). It even hand-cycles smooth as silk now.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Well, I have had lots of issues with pistols over the years, and most were solved with a simple "fluff and buff", similar to this: 1911 Fluff and Buff

The worst offender for me was a AMT .45 'Backup', which would jam at least once every magazine. I did a careful F&B a few years back and the gun has never jammed since (with FMJ). It even hand-cycles smooth as silk now.
    Great advice, most guns will benefit from this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links