Dan Wesson Revolvers are becoming a fixation – Picture Heavy

This is a discussion on Dan Wesson Revolvers are becoming a fixation – Picture Heavy within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am also posting this on another local/regional forum to help it get established. I was playing with a new digi-cam this weekend and this ...

Thread: Dan Wesson Revolvers are becoming a fixation – Picture Heavy

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

Dan Wesson Revolvers are becoming a fixation – Picture Heavy

I am also posting this on another local/regional forum to help it get established.

I was playing with a new digi-cam this weekend and this was my first session. You can see I have much to learn.

I would love to be able to get a couple of DW 1911’s but I don’t know if that will ever happen. The guns in the pic are both Dan Wesson model 15-2's in 357 Magnum from the first Dan Wesson company at Monson, MA. I think they are from about 1985 time frame.

The cool thing about Dan Wessons is that the barrels are easily removed and installed with a special tool. The barrels are threaded on both ends. One end screws into the frame and you use a .006 feeler gage to set the gap between the barrel and cylinder. Then you slide the accompanying shroud over the barrel and tighten it down with the barrel nut. This applies tension on both ends of the barrel reducing harmonic vibrations and improving accuracy. Dan Wesson made barrels from 2 ˝ to 15 inches!

I bought the first one with just the 4 inch barrel and the walnut target grip at a gun show when I got out of the Navy and came home in 1995. It is a 163xxx series serial number. I bought the Hogue style wood grip installed on it in this pic on ebay.

The second one came in a gun show trade last year for a Taurus problem child that I wrote about previously. It is a 259xxx series serial number. It came with the other walnut target grip, rubber Hogue grip at left & middle of the group in the pic, and the wood modified Hogue grip at bottom right. Also included was the factory tool with the yellow rubber tip covers, one of the gages and the 6 inch and 2 ˝ inch barrels and an original ‘Dan Wesson’ naugahide soft pack.

The other barrel tool was made and sold by a guy on ebay. It is a very good tool with a brass head but the allen wrench that runs across it is the same size on both ends for the grip screw. The one with yellow covers is a DW factory tool with one size on one end for the grip and another size on the other end for the side plate screws. DW later started producing the tools with a plastic body that was prone to breaking. The head on both have 2 small prongs the fit in notches in the barrel nut to tighten it. Both have another very small allen wrench on the head that goes inside the barrel and nut when tightening. It is for removing the front sight. DW offered 5 or 6 six different color sights including a plain one with no color insert.

Also bought variously on ebay and gunbroker are the Pachmayr rubber combat grip on the 2 ˝ inch gun, the Pachmayr rubber presentation grip in the middle of the right side, small wood ‘DW factory’ conceal grip, the HKS #10 speed loaders and G&G leather pouches, Bianchi speed strips, Bucheimer B-01-389L-64 leather holster (left side), Don Hume H286 NO.1 leather holster in basket weave (left side). I bought the Don Hume H721 leather holster on the right side from Gun Holsters and Shooting Accessories at Discounted Prices I have bought several holsters from them at a good price and awesome customer service.

You can still get barrel tools; they appear to be all metal again now, and blued barrels and shrouds from the parent company CZ.

I know it’s heavy but I absolutely love carrying the 2 ˝ incher with Pachmayr combat grip as in the pic in the Done Hume H721. I’ve begun to contemplate obtaining more Dan Wessons; 22LR, 32 H&R Mag, 44 Mag…

So what do you think? Do I have a problem?

Recently, this year or late last year after an absence of about 15 or so years Dan Wesson has reintroduced a ‘model 15 based’ revolver in the model 715. It is stainless and apparently only comes with a 6 inch barrel but will accept the older barrels and grips.

CZ-USA -> DAN WESSON 715 Revolver
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

2. Remove Ads

A buddy of mine had the M15 Dan Wesson revolver and the same three barrel lengths you show in the photos. I shot it several times and was very impressed by the handguns accuracy. It was very well made.
    The only Dan Wesson I own is the CBOB in .45acp. It's a keeper.
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

VIP Member
    Quote from OP;

So what do you think? Do I have a problem?

Yeah, you have a problem some here secretly wish for.

I have it in a small way, as shown in my accompanying pics.

Mine was bought as you see it from its original owner, after he bought a full pistol pac, in 1983.
    This revolver will shoot circles around any other factory gun, I swear.
    It will never be for sale.

Oh well, since they changed the format, My previous pics I've used are gone and I somehow am not able to load the pics back in.

Well its 10:55a on Wed. and somehow things are allowing me to properly load pics of mine.
    My brother has two nickel S&W 19 snubbies that He said I could buy one some day from him.
    I think I am going to start saving my money and try to buy a pistol pac.????
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oneshot; March 9th, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I had one many years ago,in the 80's,IIRC everytime you changed the barrel and shroud it could change the point of impact so you had to sight the gun in again
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    DW has started making revolvers again. The model 715 6" barreled .357. Of course it also carry's the DW price with it as well.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    DW has started making revolvers again. The model 715 6" barreled .357. Of course it also carry's the DW price with it as well.
    It's comparable with similar model S&W's
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Links