buying a gun online??

buying a gun online??

This is a discussion on buying a gun online?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So how does that work? sorry if its a noob question but i am a noob lol. I havent bought a handgun yet im in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying a gun online??

buying a gun online??

So how does that work? sorry if its a noob question but i am a noob lol. I havent bought a handgun yet im in the market for my first one. Dont they have to run a background check and see your ID and all of that jazz?

You can buy on line but you will have to have it received by a licensed dealer that is local to you or at least in your state. Many on line dealers maintain a list of FFLs they have dealt with in the past. Your best bet is to call the dealer and he will walk you through it. As to person to person sales they must go through an FFL also but can be more tedious since you now have to usually deal with two different FFLs, one in each state. If person to person with both residents of the same state you have to follow state laws.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I have bought several during the past couple years.
    I send the seller the form of payment they want.
    I have my local receiving FFL (pawn shop) fax the seller his FFL.
    They ship it to him.
    When you pick it up they/you fill out the papers & do the background call or just record your CWP #.
    I pay my local FFL his $25 fee, then you take it home.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    You can buy on line but you will have to have it received by a licensed dealer that is local to you or at least in your state. Many on line dealers maintain a list of FFLs they have dealt with in the past. Your best bet is to call the dealer and he will walk you through it. As to person to person sales they must go through an FFL also but can be more tedious since you now have to usually deal with two different FFLs, one in each state. If person to person with both residents of the same state you have to follow state laws.
    Perfect answer..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I have bought several guns this way. It works really well. As you look for an FFL who will participate also inquire about the transfer fee. I have paid as little as $15.00 to as much as $45.00 for a transfer fee. Also, if you are using something like gbroker look to make sure that the seller is a seasoned pro. That will help to keep you out of any difficulties that a newbie could get you into. On average I have saved anywhere from $40.00 to nearly $100.00 over purchasing locally. I do support my local guys but my money does not grow on trees so I have to make it work the most for myself. Good luck.

I have found that by the time you pay the transfer fees, the online price isn't that attractive. I may save a couple of bucks, but I'd rather leave my money in the community in which I live.

The link below will find a local FFL dealer by zip code. My local FFL dealer is a pawn shop, charges $10 for their service, average elsewhere is $20 - $25. My FFL collects the fee & runs the background checks when I go to pick up the gun.

GunBroker.com - FFL Holder Network
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

It's easy especially if you purchase your gun online from Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop. They have a drop down list of all of the FFL holders across the country that buds has dealt with and gives the expiration date of the license holder. If you request your firearm to be sent to an FFL not on their list, the FFL will have to Fax a copy of their current license to buds. I have been very satisfied with the three purchases that I have made from them.

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    I have found that by the time you pay the transfer fees, the online price isn't that attractive. I may save a couple of bucks, but I'd rather leave my money in the community in which I live.
    That's fine if that's what you choose.
    Let's say the firearm is $500.
    Sales tax at 7% is $35. Shipping may amount to $30. So you are ahead $5. However, both online and brick and mortar stores will charge the transfer fee, and the online price will almost always be substantially less.
    I wish I had a local dealer that wanted my business. More often they have a poor selection, at above retail prices.
    Online for me.

Online gun buying is easy, and many times that is the only place to find exactly what you are looking for.

Good luck with it.

It couldn't be easier!

The FFL that I use gave me a pdf of his license. I typed the pertinent details (name, license number and expiration date, shipping address, phone number) into a text file that I saved.

When I order a gun online, I copy and paste the saved text into the comments section of the order stating that I will send an email with a pdf of the FFL. Once that is done, I wait for the FFL to call me to tell me that he has a "package" for me. It couldn't be easier!

In fact, I'm off to pick up a S&W M&P15-22 MOE this morning.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I wish I had a local dealer that wanted my business. More often they have a poor selection, at above retail prices.
    Same problem here, limited selection, especially for anything that's a limited production run.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

You guys are lucky to have local gun stores. I have none where I live. We only have pawn shops, whose prices are so high I won't bother with them (example: $630 for an XD40 with iron sites). I ended up paying $499 from a local gunsmith who doesn't keep any stock, but can order whatever I want and is willing to receive transfers for me for $20. I would almost kill to live somewhere that had a good LGS.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

The last four pistols I bought were purchased online. If I were in a larger urban area where there was competition among gun shops and prices were somewhat competitive with what I can find online, I would shop locally. As it is, I spend a lot less with online purchases.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Quote Originally Posted by williebeaman View Post
    So how does that work? sorry if its a noob question but i am a noob lol. I havent bought a handgun yet im in the market for my first one. Dont they have to run a background check and see your ID and all of that jazz?
    Yes they do, it's sort of a two-step process. You need to find a local FFL that's willing to do a transfer for you, and then after you purchase the gun have your local FFL send their "papers" to the seller. The seller will then send the gun to your FFL and you show your ID etal to your local FFL, to pick it up.

So, the local FFL does the background and ID check on you, sort of like buying from him but instead of him ordering the gun you want from his supplier, you picked out the gun from a supplier of your choice, and you paid the supplier.

You can find local FFL's who will do transfers at several sources, such as at GunBroker. How many and how "local" depends on where you live....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links