Defensive Carry banner

ATTN Ruger Single Action Guru's

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  QKShooter 
#1 ·
Hi-o,
Looking to order a Blackhawk in .45 long colt this weekend. Considering the 4-5/8ths inch barrel. Can anyone talk me out of this? How does a .45 lc compare to a .44 rem mag when it comes to penetration, felt recoil and ammo expense? I am not a large frame man, I have no desire to shoot a .44 rem mag out of a pistol (call me a weenie, thats fine, shot .44 rem mag out of lever action rifle one time x8 rounds, same sitting, no thanks!, not for me!) and dont see myself really going above .45 lc. Will the longer the barrel help with recoil? I really dont want to go above a 5.5" barrel.
I think I've developed a problem with buying handguns. New since christmas - Walther pk380, Beretta 96D, Glock 23, coming soon Ruger Blackhawk .45 long Colt in a "you help me decide barrel length". Please help me decide by Saturday March 12th.:danceban:

#2 ·
The barrel you mention is fine for range shooting and even moderate distance hunting. You will be pleased with the Blackhawk as an all around good handgun. Also, 4 5/8 is good barrel length for holster carry as trail gun.

After getting acquainted with the Blackhawk you will understand why handgun hunters choose revolvers overwhelmingly to hunt. They are much more accurate at any distance beyond 25 yards than semi auto's. That single action trigger and good sights.....addictive.

#4 ·
For your use the 4 5/8 will do a good job and the recoil with factory 45lc ammo is mild because it is med power loads.

If the recoil is offensive to begin with, just get the Hogue Tamer grip and it will be a breeze to shoot.

Don't be surprised if the Blackhawk becomes your favorite handgun.

#7 ·
Excellent information guys. If I myself am not interested in reloading, are there plenty of reliable reloads out there for .45 LC that wont squib?
I saw BVAC sells a 300 grain bear load. .45 LC stop grizzly attack? ( Not that Im in an area to be worried about it) pierce croc hyde?

#9 ·
although hard to find with that barrel length, a .45 colt/acp convertible will save some $$ in the ammo department. I say go for it:danceban: I love that length barrel in a single action. pleasing to the eye and easy to carry.

#13 ·
I bought it yesterday! The guy lured me in to the shop with "come on in and we will order it". When I got there, he says "I've got a surprise for you, I
am about to make you a very happy man". With that said he fished it out of a long rifle case with six other SA's, blued with reddish wood factory grips, not the new plastic black ones. Colt ammo is expensive though, 33 bucks a box! Yow!
So, I didnt get the convertible model but man, I wish the cylinder on my GP would come off as easy for easy cleaning!
Pictures when im not so lazy.

#14 ·
You're gonna love shooting a single action large caliber revolver. I bought a 44 Magnum several weeks ago with a 6" bbl (Hy Hunter, and antique gun) and it handles the 44 Mag very well. It's a ton of fun!!!

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel

I'm looking for a shorter barrel version now, just for the heck of it.

#15 ·
I always liked the .45 Long Colt.

Hey...if you have some extra time on your hands you can buy a LEE Loader for $29.00 and reload your .45 LC cartridge cases by hand & one at a time.
Pick one mild low target load & you can reload that .45 LC empty brass lots of times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.