S&W 629 range report

S&W 629 range report

This is a discussion on S&W 629 range report within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Took Mom and Lisa to the range today. We shot my XDM and Mom's Bodyguard and XD9-C today and I shot my .44 with magnum ...

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

S&W 629 range report

Took Mom and Lisa to the range today. We shot my XDM and Mom's Bodyguard and XD9-C today and I shot my .44 with magnum loads. 50 rounds later my thumb has some of the skin removed and my hand is slightly swollen. I did however learn how to control the weapon and managed 1 inch groups at 50 feet with it. I am truly amazed at how much more accurate I am with this gun than I am with my other guns and at how easy it was to handle once I adjusted to the recoil. Definatley money well spent
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

629 is a great handgun that you will grow to enjoy even more as you grow into it.

A point to remember when shooting hard recoiling handguns that will help you control recoil is to get as high of a grip on the back strap as you can, this will help hold the gun down. Also, try the Hogue Tamer grip as it will soften the recoil considerably on any .44mag.

Now it is time to learn to reload if you do not already. Factory .44mag ammo is hot and when you back off just a little from full pressure loads, the .44 really becomes a pleasure to shoot a lot. I have shot mine 200 rounds in a range session many times with reloads running in the 1150fps range with no ill effects at all. And, the best part about those reloads is the 200 rounds cost me $34.00 if shooting commercial cast bullets or $18.00 if shooting my cast bullets.

sounds great, but i dont have any reloading equipment, what would the start up cost be?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I have a 629 comp carry with factory wood grips, the little sucker shreds my thumb every time I run magnums through it but they look so good I can't bring myself to change to hogues. Definitely very accurate guns I'd hate to be on the receiving end of one.

Recoil and reloading

Cushy rubber grips covering the back-strap, such as Pachmayr's Decelerator, helps a lot. Also lighter bullet weights in the180 - 200 grain range are easier than the standard 240 grainers, all other things being equal.

Reloading start-up cost varies widely. You can get started on a budget with a single stage press and necessary accessories like a manual, dies, powder measure and scale. They are slow but produce excellent quality rounds. At the price of factory ammo, reloading will save a bundle if you shoot much.

If the budget will allow, a Dillon Square Deal progressive press is great for reloading pistol ammo and where I would start. Reloading is very addictive, so you will probably end up with one sooner or later.

Great report and some fine shooting too. 50 feet is a little more than 15 yards so you were on like a laser. Those big N-frames can really stack 'em in there.

I forgot which barrel length you have on your Model 629.

The .44 Magnum just begs for hand loading which really multiplies the fun factor.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have the four inch, I was really impressed with how well I did with it considering it was my first time shooting the N frame revolvers, and the fact that I can get nowhere near that good at 20-30 feet with the springfield XDM I have put about 1500 rounds through. It took me 25-30 rounds before I started stacking rounds but once I did I definatley got a rush out of seeing my results

So much the better for your shooting capabilities. I've owned a 4-inch Model 29 and thought it was a bit brutal with full-power handloads. Miss it though as it was great on a belt holster for hiking and hunting.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links