AR-15 Malfunction

AR-15 Malfunction

This is a discussion on AR-15 Malfunction within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, this is not my gun by the way, just to let everyone know. But I know some1 who has an AR-15 and it was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AR-15 Malfunction

Hello, this is not my gun by the way, just to let everyone know. But I know some1 who has an AR-15 and it was a kit gun (had everything but stripped lower). But it said "All semi auto lower receiver parts are INCLUDED as well as semi auto bolt, carrier, and charging handle. The upper is COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED. Each and every part to the gun is included EXCEPT the stripped lower receiver!" And I promise you we have not altered the gun IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER So would any of you have an idea or clue as to what may be malfunctioning? What would be needed to fix/change to make this be SA like it was meant to be? Thanks for any help you guys may give me, it is much appreciated.

P.S. You don't have to worry about me or anyone I know possibly "reverse engineering" your info in an attempt to illegally alter the gun to make it FA. Like I said before it is already full auto lol. But honestly we're just trying to fix it, not sure what went wrong. And honestly, if we were intending to illegally modify a gun, I can assure you we would not post something on a forum for an answer, we would probly just search online, there is a lot more information on changing a SA to a FA other than FA to SA.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Well...what was the malfunction?
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

The malfunction is that it SUPPOSEDLY has all semi-auto parts. It only has 2 selections, safety and fire, it doesn't click over 180 degrees. But when u pull the trigger it's full auto. It's supposed to be a semi-automatic gun.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

IMMEDIATELY disassemble the gun and take it to a qualified smith. You are now in possession of a machine gun, which will have you in prison whether intentionally or not.

May be caused by hammer-follow, stuck firing pin, bur on the bolt, worn trigger parts/sear...

VIP Member
    Take it apart and go to a gunsmith.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Probly gonna have to do that. But he messaged the company and he's awaiting their reply. If they can send him whatever parts are needed to fix it he'll just kinda stow it away until the parts come in so he can make it semi-auto like it is supposed to be. It's a really good thing there was no DNR at the range at the time we were there. We got a few looks tho lol.

Just for your information,if you have an AR15 with SA parts installed,but you also have a set of FA parts that aren't installed the BATFE considers you to have a machine gun.IIRC there was an AR15 manufacturer (Olympic Arms) and there were several of their guns that would fire FA without warning,Last I heard they fixed the problem
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Idk if he was sent the wrong parts. He's waiting for a reply from the company.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    if someone gets a automatic lower, would it not always be a selective fire rifle instead of safe and fire?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Senior Moderator
    It sounds like whoever it was that put the parts together did it wrong.

The disconector isnt disconnecting and catching the hammer. More than likely a spring is installed incorrectly. Its a simple fix, but it must be done by someone that knows what they are doing.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

That's what we were starting to think. I looked around a little bit more and I found 2 other people that had the same problem. And I let him know about that and we tried a little troubleshooting. Since it's semi-auto he pulled the trigger and the hammer went foreward, he grabbed the hammer, pulled it back and hooked it on the disconnector again (trigger still pulled), barely moved it at all and the hammer went foreward again. So we think that maybe it needs a new trigger or a new disconnector because it seems like the recoil may be causing the gun to continue firing after the first shot has gone off (with the trigger held down like we simulated with the gun opened up).

hmmm

Does it only auto fire while the trigger is pulled, or does the trigger stay locked? In other words, does it shoot until the magazine is empty or can you shoot in a burst?

It shoots like a normal full auto rifle. It stops shooting once the trigger is released.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick46590 View Post
    It shoots like a normal full auto rifle. It stops shooting once the trigger is released.
    It sounds like the disconnector is installed wrong, or defective.

To echo what was said in the other thread, you friend would be well advised to:

1. IMMEDIATELY stop shooting the rifle - depending on exactly what parts are in the gun, and what the problem is, there's a very real chance of the gun firing out of battery. This is VERY dangerous, and someone could be seriously hurt or worse.
    2. DISASSEMBLE the lower, and take it to someone qualified to re-assemble and function test it properly. As it stands right now, the gun is an unregistered machine gun, which is a very serious federal felony. The ATF couldn't care less that it's broken - it's full auto, and there's no tax stamp = prison time.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links