Kimber Ultra Carry Fix?

Kimber Ultra Carry Fix?

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra Carry Fix? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Kimber Ultra Carry Eclipse. It's a great gun and shoots very nice. BUT, I'm running into the usual feeding hollow point issues. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kimber Ultra Carry Fix?

Kimber Ultra Carry Fix?

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry Eclipse. It's a great gun and shoots very nice. BUT, I'm running into the usual feeding hollow point issues. The gun does not like gold dots at all. I currently have a few boxes of Critical Defense which although I've never shot them yet, they seem to feed very well when I chamber and eject a round. It's a very smooth feed. I haven't shot them yet because the only range close to me doesn't allow outside ammunition, and their store is always sold out of almost all .45 ammo.

My real question is....I've been reading into it on this site and have found many claims of the Wilson Combat mags are a very good fix for the typical 1911 feeding issues. I just wanted to clarify if this was in fact true. It seems it would be because the Kimber mags do have a bit of play in them, enough so where gold dots don't even catch the feed ramp. It's only an 1/8th inch of play but I think that is enough to create an issue. Do the Wilson Combat mags get rid of the play in the mags, or is the spring stiffer to get the hollow point to not catch on the bottom of the feed ramp?

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death but the info is spotty and could find a definite specific answer.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberUltra View Post
    I have a Kimber Ultra Carry Eclipse. It's a great gun and shoots very nice. BUT, I'm running into the usual feeding hollow point issues. The gun does not like gold dots at all. I currently have a few boxes of Critical Defense which although I've never shot them yet, they seem to feed very well when I chamber and eject a round. It's a very smooth feed. I haven't shot them yet because the only range close to me doesn't allow outside ammunition, and their store is always sold out of almost all .45 ammo.

My real question is....I've been reading into it on this site and have found many claims of the Wilson Combat mags are a very good fix for the typical 1911 feeding issues. I just wanted to clarify if this was in fact true. It seems it would be because the Kimber mags do have a bit of play in them, enough so where gold dots don't even catch the feed ramp. It's only an 1/8th inch of play but I think that is enough to create an issue. Do the Wilson Combat mags get rid of the play in the mags, or is the spring stiffer to get the hollow point to not catch on the bottom of the feed ramp?

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death but the info is spotty and could find a definite specific answer.
    Wilson Combat mags (or Mccormick power mags) are the fix for a LOT of 1911 feeding issues regardless of brand.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Ok. That was the answer I was looking for. I heard alot about the exctractors having too much tension, but i didnt want to start going over board until I try to cheaper fixes first. Thanks!

Gold dots are much shorter than any other round, take a .45 FMJ and the gold dot put them side by side you'll see the difference they tend to nose dive in most 1911's regardless. If you can chamber another brand without it jamming its probably good to go, the gold dots will jam especially on the initial chambering.

I went shooting with it today and it was a disaster. I have 4 kimber mags and one wilson combat mag I bought shortly after getting an answer here. I bought two boxes of the Remington fmj's they sell which I usually shoot at that range. I also bought a box of Golden Sabers trying to figure out which hollow point works best. I used the golden Sabers first. Horrible feeding through the hole box. 2 or 3 shots before it jams up. Most of them were either nose dives into the feed ramp, and the bullet getting jammed as the slide comes forward and gets stuck. Even the wilson mag was jamming. The range officer took my gun apart and took it off and polished the feed ramp. He oiled it and put it back together and fired the fmj bullets through it very quickly with no issues. After he polished it I shot a box of fmjs, a few hollow points and a full mag of critical defense through it with only a few more jams which all seemed to be mag related. The wilson mag fed the citical defense great, and the kimber mags are hit or miss whether they want to feed anything at all.

Does that sound like a typical 1911 or Kimber issue, or is there some other remedy for 1911 feeding issues.

Polishing the ramp will help feeding. If the kimber mags don't work I'd toss them and use aftermarket magazines, how many rounds through it so far? Some just need a "break in" period to wear out rough machining and run smoother. I hear horror stories about kimbers and have never owned one so I can't speak on that being a kimber issue but none of my other 1911's jammed much besides when using certain hollowpoints. Also be sure you aren't "limp wristing" get a tight grip when you fire or you may get a few failure to return to battery jams.

I just hit 500 round through it which is what Kimber says is the break in period. Oddly the more i shoot it the more issues I've had with it. I don't think the limp wristing is an issue, only because other people have shot it as well and the performance is about the same.

It's a little discouraging though to have lots of jams, because when it does shoot I love it. I've punched a few large holes though the targets with it. I shoot a little low and to the left (left handed shooting), but im consistent. So I hope I can get the issue figured out because I enjoy the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberUltra View Post
    I just hit 500 round through it which is what Kimber says is the break in period. Oddly the more i shoot it the more issues I've had with it. I don't think the limp wristing is an issue, only because other people have shot it as well and the performance is about the same.

It's a little discouraging though to have lots of jams, because when it does shoot I love it. I've punched a few large holes though the targets with it. I shoot a little low and to the left (left handed shooting), but im consistent. So I hope I can get the issue figured out because I enjoy the gun.
    If you have your 500 break in rounds through it, have tried multiple types of ammo and aftermarket mags I would be on the phone with Kimber
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Ok so you have shot the reqiuired "Kimber recommended break in" rounds and its still fubar. You need to be talking to Kimber and have it fixed. Send it back as many times as it takes (should be a couple at least) and have them fix it. Then if your totally frustrated at that point then sell it. Or you can find a reputable 1911 smith and have it fixed with one trip and just eat the cost. Your call at this point.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Well I thought about it, but after the range officer polished the feed ramp, the wilson mag worked flawlessly with a whole box. I only had 3 more jams after he polished it, ad they were with the kimber mags. So next time I go I'm just going to use the wilson mag and see what happens. If it still doesn't feed right I'll call Kimber.

I am just add 500 rounds exactly when I stopped. So hopefully anything else I shoot through it will be forward progression instead of backwards now that is is broken in fully.

I have 3 Kimbers and my EDC is a Ultra Carry II and I only use Kimber mags in it and it's been flawless with everything including gold dots. Mags are not always the answer to the problem in my opinion. Gotta say by the way I love my Kimber's, but I hate Kimber. Their CS is probably worse than Taurus CS I bet. Never had to use Taurus CS and I own 4 of them. I quit trying to use Kimbers and learned to fix'em myself, it was way less frustrating.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Did you have any issues like that with your kimber? I've considered sanding down the frame where it meets the feed ramp, but I dont know if that will help. Most of the jams are because of the bullet nose diving against the frame.

Did you read this link? We discussed this at length here Kimber ammo problem

I've considered sanding down the frame where it meets the feed ramp
    This is one way to ruin a $1200 pistol for sure. The one major issue I've had with my Kimber's was on my CDP Pro that I bought used and that's what happened to it. Someone had got happy grinding on the feed ramp and destroyed it. The only fix was to have the frame machined out and a steel feed ramp insert installed. I'm going to beat my drum that I usually do and say extractor, extractor, and extractor. Think about the relation of the extractor to the functioning of the pistol. It has more contact with the round than any other part on the entire pistol and is the most often overlooked part. I would not do anything else at this point except look there, or send it to Kimber and have them fix it.

I have heard about that being an issue, but my gun jams on the feeding phase, not the extracting phase. I've never had a jam caused by a casing not ejecting, just the feed ramp area, so will that have anything to do with it?

Most 1911's won't feed hp ammo reliably without some type of smithing. Certain bullet profiles will work better than others but to be absolutely sure they are going to feed I highly recommend glaser powerball ammo. They feed just like ball ammo but act like an hp on impact.
    flagflyfish likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links