Need help with Taurus model 94

This is a discussion on Need help with Taurus model 94 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a snubby Taurus Model 94 22lR. It works flawlessly for about 150 rounds, and then the cylinder seems to bind up and does ...

Thread: Need help with Taurus model 94

Need help with Taurus model 94

I have a snubby Taurus Model 94 22lR. It works flawlessly for about 150 rounds, and then the cylinder seems to bind up and does not want to rotate. As soon as i clean it, it works just fine. I am using regular CCI lead nose rounds... not particularly hot rounds. I clean my guns with Hoppes, or use CLP.

Is this a malfunction of the gun, or could i possibly be lubricating the gun too much? I have not had the side plate off yet. The gun was purchased new about 8 months ago, and had this issue a few times. I am not sure if the 22lR round, which is notoriously dirty is causing this issue? any suggestions? Please no answers of "buy a smith" thanks. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

2. Remove Ads

Hard to diagnose at a distance, but try cleaning just one part of the gun at a time and see which specific action makes the cylinder rotate more freely.

The first thing I would look at when the gun starts to bind up is the gap between the barrel and the front of the cylinder. If the gap is really small (say, 0.003" or less), powder residue and bullet lube could be building up on both surfaces and creating drag.

Similarly, firing residue in the chambers could be keeping the cartridges from seating fully in the cylinder, and they could be dragging on the frame of the gun near the firing pin (similar to how a high primer could jam a centerfire revolver). Simple to check; does the cylinder spin freely when it is not locked in the frame (i.e., when it's rotated out from the frame to load or unload)?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Yes, it does spin freely when rotated out from frame. It is a blued gun... i have to admit, i probably do not clean them as meticulously as my stainless guns because you usually cannot see the racoon eyes. I will check for any scraping on the frame in the front and back. Thanks. Andy
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I have a 4" SS mod 94, and it did the same thing. It went back to Taurus, and came back ok. Seems after reading about this Model, a lot of folks are having the problem. I took mine back to the Gun Store I got it from and they took care of the retun and all N/C to me.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    +1 What he said.

150 rounds of lead will provide a good amount of fouling/build-up of lead, powder and lube residue. A good stiff nylon brush could keep you shooting till the range session is over, then a good cleaning is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Hard to diagnose at a distance, but try cleaning just one part of the gun at a time and see which specific action makes the cylinder rotate more freely.

The first thing I would look at when the gun starts to bind up is the gap between the barrel and the front of the cylinder. If the gap is really small (say, 0.003" or less), powder residue and bullet lube could be building up on both surfaces and creating drag.

Similarly, firing residue in the chambers could be keeping the cartridges from seating fully in the cylinder, and they could be dragging on the frame of the gun near the firing pin (similar to how a high primer could jam a centerfire revolver). Simple to check; does the cylinder spin freely when it is not locked in the frame (i.e., when it's rotated out from the frame to load or unload)?
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Ex Member
    My 94 will lock up with a few types of ammo. I have been using Remington Thunderbolt with great results. Both SA, and DA trigger is to stiff to even measure BUT it it is cheap practice for my J frames.

Quote Originally Posted by vietnamvet66 View Post
    I have a 4" SS mod 94, and it did the same thing. It went back to Taurus, and came back ok. Seems after reading about this Model, a lot of folks are having the problem. I took mine back to the Gun Store I got it from and they took care of the retun and all N/C to me.
    ^^^^^This should fix your problem. I thought about one around the same time but my LGS's would not stock any Taurus revolvers due to too many problems with them. The good news is they will repair your gun. I bought a Smith&Wesson 7 inch semi. from Buds for less than $300 put a Red dot and its been flawless and very accurate. I would like a .22 revolver oneday myself, good luck

Links